As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sega Saturn gaming.

AfraidAfraid Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Just picked up a first revision Saturn for 20 bucks. Always wanted one and for the price i nabbed it. The battery needs replacing but thats no big deal. Since most of the games are pretty rare or Japan only i was going to buy the Action Replay pack , s-video cable and a few games from play-asia. What games should i purchase first? The 2d fighters look nice and are not that expensive. What are the good games besides shooters? How about Lunar?

Gamertag: Texas eye
3ds gamer tag: Texas eye. friend code: 2019-9652-5207
Afraid on

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Afraid wrote: »
    Just picked up a first revision Saturn for 20 bucks. Always wanted one and for the price i nabbed it. The battery needs replacing but thats no big deal. Since most of the games are pretty rare or Japan only i was going to buy the Action Replay pack , s-video cable and a few games from play-asia. What games should i purchase first? The 2d fighters look nice and are not that expensive. What are the good games besides shooters? How about Lunar?

The lunar saturn remakes were supposed to be great.. but not knowing Japanese I had to wait for the PSX revamps.

For Saturn games. Guardian heros MUST GET. awesome game.

Dragon Force, also a great game (there's a LTP thread here now on it)

Radiant Silvergun was a great game, I loved Astal as a platformer.

The beat em ups you mentioned already. Fighters Megamix was a great 3d beatemup. Albert Odyssey was pretty good as an RPG.
    The Panzer dragoon games were good rail shooters (and Saga was a great RPG, but hard to find).

What other types of games do you like to play?

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I never owned a Saturn (I wanted one, but was never rewarded one a birthday's / Christmases). Games that jump out at me are Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, and Beyond Oasis (if that's the title, it was a sequel to the Genesis game) because I remember reading about them in magazines and they were awesome. Can any Saturn owners confirm or deny the quality of those games?

Henroid on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    You know, many months ago, i picked up a saturn from a friend for $20.00. It came with several controlers, all the hook ups, and about 8 games. Funny thing is, the games disappeared about 5 days later. I think it's a conspiracy.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    NiGHTS should've been the first goddamn game mentioned in this thread.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magic Knight Rayearth

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sonic Jam: you get all four 16-bit platformer Sonics (Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Sonic and Knuckles), a unique 3D world to jump about in, oodles of extras... if you're at all fond of our hedgehog friend, pick this up.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo: with loading times aside, this is almost arcade perfect, and a brilliant puzzler to boot. Being remade in HD for the Xbox 360, but definitely worth buying for your Saturn as well.

Bust-A-Move 2: Cheap, endlessly replayable puzzle fun. But all the better with a friend.

Saturn Bomberman: It's Bomberman! On the Saturn! It's Saturn Bomberman! One day, all games will be like this.

Panzer Dragoon: The first in the series was a launch title (IIRC) and therefore both common and fairly inexpensive. The sequel comes with higher praise, but a higher price tag to boot. The third, Panzer Dragoon Saga, is of an entirely different genre entirely.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    I never owned a Saturn (I wanted one, but was never rewarded one a birthday's / Christmases). Games that jump out at me are Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, and Beyond Oasis (if that's the title, it was a sequel to the Genesis game) because I remember reading about them in magazines and they were awesome. Can any Saturn owners confirm or deny the quality of those games?

Shining Force 3 is awesome, but we were never graced with the 2 remaining parts of it in the US. The first one is great, but I've always been sad that I could never finish it. If you can read Japanese or suffer through reading along a plot synopsis while playing I suppose the other 2 are not bad.

Beyond Oasis/Tho is indeed a sequel and is a great game.

I already mentioned the Panzer games in my initial post, and still own all of them. Great games all around in their own ways.

*Edit*

I almost forgot Nights!

Nights, into dreams, awesome game (Christmas nights as well). If you can find there, then awesome. They may or may not be "your thing" but worth checking out at least once.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I would love nights but my saturn only came with original controller.

Afraid on
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=21009 Big ass topic about the Saturn and the many games/peripherals you need.

Hazz on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Triple B wrote: »

No, Guardian Heroes should have been. And it was. So there.

Why? Because it's the motherfucking win.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    First off, that's an awesome price.

Secondly:

RPGs:
    -Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
    -Dragon Force
    -Mystaria: The Realms of Lore / Blazing Heroes (it later got renamed for obvious reasons)
    -Magic Knight Rayearth (good luck finding this)
    -Shining The Holy Ark
    -Shining Wisdom

Etc.
    -Burning Rangers
    -Corpse Killer: Graveyard Edition(guilty pleasure)
    -Double Switch (same)
    -NiGHTS
    -Bug Too!
    -D
    -Guardian Heroes (also, good luck finding this)

The only Lunar game for Saturn that isn't available elsewhere is Magical School Lunar!(which I have).

It's fun, but nothing special.

Just get the Sega CD ones if you have the means.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One game I really enjoyed at the time (although I don't know if it's held up well?) is Mystaria (later re-released as Blazing Heroes and later as Riglord Saga). Turn based tactics game.

EDIT: GD, I need to read all the posts in a thread first. As penance, I'll throw in the X-Men fighting game.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »

No, Guardian Heroes should have been. And it was. So there.

Why? Because it's the motherfucking win.

To suggest that NiGHTS is not the best Saturn game is to speak gibberish to my ears.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    NiGHTS

so much

Also pick up at least one of the Capcom/Marvel cross over fighters, iirc there is -

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
    X-Men vs. Street Fighter
    X-Men: Children of the Atom
    and, Marvel Super Heroes

You can pretty much tell what they are by the name.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vampire Saviour was the best console port of Darkstalkers until the PS2 got its Vampire collection. Regardless, it doesn't go for much and it's a great title. It even has a hidden English language option.

Dodonpachi and Layer Section are also two superb shooters that, unlike RS, shouldn't rape your wallet.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vampire Saviour was the best console port of Darkstalkers until the PS2 got its Vampire collection. Regardless, it doesn't go for much and it's a great title. It even has a hidden English language option.

YES. It's the best game in the entire series, and if you have the first revision Saturn you've got the "good" controller for fighting games. (Apart from Sega's Virtua Stick, which is also a fantastic piece of hardware.) If you like those, there are a ton of good ones on the system--the Saturn got much better NeoGeo and Capcom ports than the PSOne--and most are cheap. Try checking out one of the Samurai Shodown or KOF titles, or Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, in addition to all the Capcom games already mentioned in this thread.

Also, people, the Saturn Oasis game is Legend of Oasis. Beyond Oasis is the Genesis/Mega Drive version. Still worth playing, though.

Other games:

Virtua Fighter 2
    Darius Gaiden
    Dark Savior (I think this was the one from the makers of Landstalker; it's been a while since I've played it, but I have fond memories)
    and more votes for Astal, NiGHTS, and Fighters Megamix.

Norfair on
  • Options
    Mountain DewMountain Dew Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Wow $20? that is a good deal

Mountain Dew on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So are Saturns reliable enough to where I could pick one up and realistically expect it to work?

MKR on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Saturns are built like tanks, or at least the Japanese ones seem to be.

I really should have brought mine to my new place. The main problem is finding controllers for them, then again I never did actually try ebay.

What is region protection like? Mine's Japanese but I'd like to play games not in moon language.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure if this works the other way, but to play Japanese games on a US system you need an import adapter; almost all of which are cartridge-based.

Mine's an ST-Key that I've had for years and years and still works. You boot up the system with it, then go to the main menu, then imports work.

On the bright side, there's quite a few good games for the Saturn that never came out here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this works the other way, but to play Japanese games on a US system you need an import adapter; almost all of which are cartridge-based.

Mine's an ST-Key that I've had for years and years and still works. You boot up the system with it, then go to the main menu, then imports work.

On the bright side, there's quite a few good games for the Saturn that never came out here.

If you're at all handy with a soldering iron, there's a way to hard-wire a region switch to the system board. Not too terribly difficult to pull off, IIRC.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can absolutely endorse Dragon Force, Beyond Oasis, and Panzer Dragoon. All of those titles occupied much of my Sega Saturn time.

I also remember Virta Cop 1 and 2, with the proper guns, being a blast.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Saturn Bomberman is the best Bomberman ever. Fact.

Why on earth all later versions were hugely stripped down I have no idea.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Just won VIRTUA FIGHTER 2, WING ARMS, AND LAST BRONX for 5 bucks on ebay. Plus a bunch of sports games i probably wont play. 8 Games for 5 bucks is pretty good.

THE TITLES ARE: WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 98, WORLDWIDE SOCCER 98, EA SPORTS NHL 97, NHL ALL STAR HOCKEY.

If anyone wants the sports games just PM me and i can send them out.

Afraid on