As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why would anyone want to be a US President?

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Something occurred to me back during the 2000 US Presidential election - the candidates were tripping over themselves to get votes and raise campaign funds and fought tooth and nail by the end to win Florida and the Supreme Court's backing.

Four years later, I read how the current DA in New York raised $30 million for his campaign. $20 million buys you a spacewalk with the Russians or a new hospital wing or something better than ad time and buttons with catchy slogans. Now I hear the total amount of funds raised by all candidates for this coming presidential election may exceed half a billion dollars and lord knows how many work hours.

So what's the reward after all that campaigning and smiling? A high stress job as a public servant with hate mail everyday and an intimidating mountain of problems to solve from fields you've barely heard of. To be an effective President, you'd have to educate yourself daily and keep an eye on current global events. And the stress! Look at photos of Bill Clinton after his term - the man aged twenty years while in office!

You do get you name in the history books and you get to here Hail to the Chief wherever you go, so those are perks, but really, why would anyone exhaust themselves physically, put their reputations under the closest of scrutinies, and waste all that campaign money to be a president? Are the candidates afraid all the others are morons and if the other guy wins, America loses? Don't tell me its duty or patriotism - campaigns in general would be run a lot more efficiently with less mudslinging if that were true.

emnmnme on

• Options
    AbsurdistAbsurdist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    People crave power and glory instead of what matters in life.

Absurdist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteHeroAbsoluteHero __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    It looks good on your resume.

AbsoluteHero on
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    POWER OVERWHELMING!!!

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You make a ridiculous amount of money by giving favors to corporations who in turn give favors back to you.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    You make a ridiculous amount of money by giving favors to corporations who in turn give favors back to you.

So the reason people become president is for the fruits of corruption, having a finger on The Button, and, according to The Simpsons, three secret murders per term.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think they're intrinsically driven by the will to change the world for the better, and get corrupted slowly along the way. I don't think it's the people who are bad. I think it's the current process by its very nature which leaves almost no chance for a successful, quality candidate to turn out.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Absurdist wrote: »

People crave power and glory because that is what matters to them.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Power, wealth, women...

I was born in the wrong country, sigh.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think they're intrinsically driven by the will to change the world for the better, and get corrupted slowly along the way. I don't think it's the people who are bad. I think it's the current process by its very nature which leaves almost no chance for a successful, quality candidate to turn out.

The system is set against making huge strides except in a crisis situation. A successful, quality cantidate simply will not accomplish their stated goals.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Why is it that you guys are assuming all politicians are corrupt? You guys watch too much tv.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uh, you say this as if power and glory don't matter. Which is a pretty retarded premise.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Why is it that you guys are assuming all politicians are corrupt? You guys watch too much tv.

Yeah, we do. The news.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe because they've raised nearly half a billion dollars in this election cycle alone to fund their campaigns?

Whether or not they're out and out corrupt, it's pretty hard to say with a straight face that any of them are truly "principled."

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Uh, you say this as if power and glory don't matter. Which is a pretty retarded premise.
    The ascetic life is the only valid one, didn't you get the memo?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Maybe because they've raised nearly half a billion dollars in this election cycle alone to fund their campaigns?

Whether or not they're out and out corrupt, it's pretty hard to say with a straight face that any of them are truly "principled."

Being able to raise money is a sign of being unprincipled?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, we do. The news.

What makes you think the news tells the whole story?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Being able to raise money is a sign of being unprincipled?
    Taking money from special interests and professional lobbyists definitely doesn't help dispell the notion.

I think it's a little naive to think any politician holding major office hasn't "compromised" along the way. I suppose you could work up a definition of "principled" that included being able to bend at necessary points, but that's obviously not the intent of the phrase as I was using it.

• Options
    edited September 2007
    The ACLU is a special interest. They employ lobbyists.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

But ... Michael Moore added a little price tag over George W.'s head in 'Sicko.' You doubt Michael Moore?

And I'd say something about the old time stereotype of fat Louisiana governors in seersucker suits stealing nickels from the poor box but this isn't helping.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Accepting money from lobbyists for the promise of future considerations at the expense of the American people =! ability to raise money.

Living without power and glory =! asceticism.

Hair-splitting and exaggeration are fun, but I have the small feeling they're being taken seriously here.

I severely doubt that by juxtaposing power and glory and life he meant that they were not important at all. I took it quite clearly to mean that the desire for the ability to make decisions as opposed to the will to make beneficial decisions is bad. Likewise, the desire to earn glory through power instead of the desire to earn it through right action also bad.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Every thinking person wants to give the world some decent organization.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Accepting money from lobbyists for the promise of future considerations at the expense of the American people =! ability to raise money.

Lobbyists =! evil incarnate.

Considering the wishes of lobbyists =! selling out the American people.

Lobbyists frequently represent groups of American people. Again, the ACLU uses lobbyists.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lobbyists frequently represent groups of American people. Again, the ACLU uses lobbyists.
    Which has nothing to do with the candidates in question. The people holding office may accept campaign donations from the ACLU, but when it comes time to vote on an issue that the ACLU feels one way about, do you seriously think that candidate is going to vote 100% with the ACLU?

All professional politicians holding major office compromise their principles at one point or another in their career. I don't think that's even a particularly cynical thing to say, just a legitimate observation.

• Options
    edited September 2007
    No, no. I don't disagree with that, Loren. It's just that where the conversation was going seemed... I don't know.

Donating money, lobbying. No, not by any means naturally bad.

You could donate money in thanks or celebration for a certain law being passed. That sort of donation is great.

You could argue your case on the floor of the senate for or against any sort of decision. You could base your argument on science, and attempt to convince lawmakers to make a certain decision which may or may not be for the good of the people. Maybe you just don't know, you only feel.

But donating money on the grounds that the law makers make a certain decision, full well knowing they're only making that decision because you donated that money. I can't imagine a scenario where that's good. Not that there isn't. Just right now I can't think of one.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Which has nothing to do with the candidates in question. The people holding office may accept campaign donations from the ACLU, but when it comes time to vote on an issue that the ACLU feels one way about, do you seriously think that candidate is going to vote 100% with the ACLU?

All professional politicians holding major office compromise their principles at one point or another in their career. I don't think that's even a particularly cynical thing to say, just a legitimate observation.

First, it depends on the politician. I generally doubt it will be 100% with the ACLU because, for one, the politician and/or his constituents may not agree with the entirety of the ACLU's platform. For two, there are a myriad of other groups commanding attention who may have agendas at odds with the ACLU.

I don't think that the "compromising of one's principles" necessarily should be associated with some notion of a politician being somehow "tainted". The nature of the system (lots of people and interests being involved) necessitates compromise as a means of getting things done.

The politician who doesn't compromise is a useless politician, and I would suggest that that's generally the worst kind of all (unless the current political situation is completely ideal).

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Hair-splitting and exaggeration are fun, but I have the small feeling they're being taken seriously here.

I severely doubt that by juxtaposing power and glory and life he meant that they were not important at all. I took it quite clearly to mean that the desire for the ability to make decisions as opposed to the will to make beneficial decisions is bad. Likewise, the desire to earn glory through power instead of the desire to earn it through right action also bad.
    And you don't think most politicians think their actions are right?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I think they think their actions are "right" in the context of a woefully corrupt system that necessitates and rewards excessive amounts of compromise and bowing to single interests instead of the interests of the many.

So yeah -- maybe they cynically think that their actions are "right," but that doesn't make them so.

• Options
    edited September 2007
    First, it depends on the politician. I generally doubt it will be 100% with the ACLU because, for one, the politician and/or his constituents may not agree with the entirety of the ACLU's platform. For two, there are a myriad of other groups commanding attention who may have agendas at odds with the ACLU.

I don't think that the "compromising of one's principles" necessarily should be associated with some notion of a politician being somehow "tainted". The nature of the system (lots of people and interests being involved) necessitates compromise as a means of getting things done.

The politician who doesn't compromise is a useless politician, and I would suggest that that's generally the worst kind of all (unless the current political situation is completely ideal).
    Compromise is one thing, selling the fuck out is another. I don't really care what anyone says, I think that most politicians at the federal level have sold the fuck out, as evidenced by the silly amounts of special interest money lining their pockets.

• Options
    edited September 2007

Do you think most police officers think their actions are right?

Although, to actually answer the question. Sure, most politicians perhaps do think they're doing the right thing. But not all the time. I'd be surprised to think that even most politicians always thought the were doing the right thing. And actually, I'll even revoke that. I don't have numbers in front of me.

An example, restoring habeas corpus. (Not about lobbying, but about political interests) Not a single democrat voted against it, and only 6 republicans voted for it. Now, my first problem was that such an important issue was arbitrarily half-assed into a military spending bill, but whatever. I think if it was serious, it would have it's own separate law/vote.

I find it hard to believe there weren't at least some democrats who wanted to vote against it, but didn't because of politics. Vice versa for the republicans.

Here, I think party interests drove a lot of their voting. Similarly, I think money and vacations can do the same. Perhaps even more often.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Have you guys ever examined the amount of money that lobbiests and PACs actually contribute to candidates?

Because it isn't a huge portion of their funding.

Hillary Clinton:
    Individual Contributions - $52,538,649
    PAC Contributions Total- $532,946

Barrack Obama:
    IndCon - $58,605,160
    PAC - $4,975

John Edwards:
    IndCon - $23,059,192
    PAC - $20

Bill Richardson:
    IndCon - $13,133,145
    PAC - $127,100

And it isn't any different on the other side.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    An example, restoring habeas corpus. (Not about lobbying, but about political interests) Not a single democrat voted against it, and only 6 republicans voted for it. Now, my first problem was that such an important issue was arbitrarily half-assed into a military spending bill, but whatever. I think if it was serious, it would have it's own separate law/vote.

Maybe you should check out the power of the purse. You know, keeping parliamentary bodies relevant and helping them curb the power of the executive since the Tudor monarchs.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Doesn't that just add to the mystery of the topic question, shinto? Why would anyone in their right mind give $60 million of the own money on a gamble that they might get a party nomination for chance at a high stress job? Something in all that seems crooked.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Doesn't that just add to the mystery of the topic question, shinto? Why would anyone in their right mind give $60 million of the own money on a gamble that they might get a party nomination for chance at a high stress job? Something in all that seems crooked.
    "Individual contributions" are contributions given by individuals, not by the candidates themselves.

I don't think the above-board direct-to-campaign contributions are a good way to measure the influence of PACs on campaigns.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

By law individuals can only contribute $2100 per election. That 52 million Hillary has in contributions? It came from 25,000+ people.

Edit: wait, after reading your post again I don't understand it. No one is giving $60 million of their own money. I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Individual contributions" are contributions given by individuals, not by the candidates themselves.

I don't think the above-board direct-to-campaign contributions are a good way to measure the influence of PACs on campaigns.

I know that. What I mean is their campaign war chests are out of control. How much would you really need to get your basic message across to the American people? Without trying to shout over the other candidates' messages, wouldn't you only need a fraction of that $60 million? I figure the rest is just icing on the cake to distract voters away from the other candidates. Who in their right mind would spend millions on icing?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

I know that. What I mean is their campaign war chests are out of control. How much would you really need to get your basic message across to the American people? Without trying to shout over the other candidates' messages, wouldn't you only need a fraction of that $60 million? I figure the rest is just icing on the cake to distract voters away from the other candidates. Who in their right mind would spend millions on icing?

You don't understand bro, people gave that money so their candidates can use it to promote themselves and hopefully get elected. If candidates stopped using all of the money like you said, people will feel that donating is a waste of time and will donate less. Fuck man, theres nothing wrong with all those donations, and the war chests are not OUT OF CONTROLZ

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yes, if there weren't any other candidates, campaigning wouldn't be so expensive.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Hah.

It costs about $500,000 to run a national 30 second ad.

My guess is that it costs about $3,000,000 to have a campaign operating in a state out of one headquarters for four or five months - and in most states you would need three or four headquarters.

And if you think about it, all this money being raised is just to compete in the four or five earliest states. Imagine what it will cost when we have a single national primary in all fifty states. You would need $200 million dollars just to be in that primary.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, come on. Run an ad in the papers and myspace and attend all the televised forums hosted by the party. I didn't know it cost half a million for a 30 second ad but, geez, I'd rather the candidates haded out bullet-point fliers on their particular qualities and that be that. I want to be an informed voter but not that informed. :P

Didn't Ross Perot create a 30 minute ad for national TV back in 1996?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, come on. Run an ad in the papers and myspace and attend all the televised forums hosted by the party. I didn't know it cost half a million for a 30 second ad but, geez, I'd rather the candidates haded out bullet-point fliers on their particular qualities and that we that.

You mean like all the candidates currently at less than 5% in the polls are doing?

Shinto on