As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Serial Killers can be awesome too (Dexter Thread)

lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Social Entropy++
So tonight is the premiere for Dexter season 2, one of the best shows on tv right now. Its on Showtime at 9 and will be repeated like a bajillion times this week.

dexter2.jpg

Its about a serial killer who works as a forensics dude for the miami police and only kills bad guys because his dad raised him to pretend to be a human and fit in with society. He also has a dumb, though hot in an off way, adopted sister and a formerly abused girlfriend (Darla from Angel, you see her boobies in a few episodes last season). Yeah, ok, last season's episodes kinda fizzled out in the end, but it was still good watching.

It also has one of the best opening intros ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej8-Rqo-VT4

How many of you dudes watch and enjoy this show? And how does it make you feel when you realize you are sympathizing with and rooting for a stone cold psychopath?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
lostwords on

• Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Why, in a building full of cops, is Doakes the only one that sees me for what I am?"

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wish I got Showtime.

Pony on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2007
    i haven't seen dexter but it had that guy from that other thing and everyone say's it's really good maybe i should

also black dude is packin'

bongi on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    lostwords just because the ravens are awful there's no reason to turn to serial murder

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    I wish I got Showtime.

Some cable networks are putting the first season on On Demand for free. For what it's worth.

Erios on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    lostwords just because the ravens are awful there's no reason to turn to serial murder

Oh, you mothafucka, don't remind me. I had to stop watching sometime in the fourth quarter, because it was painful. The fucking Browns? Jamal Lewis actually doing alright? Ugh.

Anywho, serial murderin seems like a noble profession.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

Oh, you mothafucka, don't remind me. I had to stop watching sometime in the fourth quarter, because it was painful. The fucking Browns? Jamal Lewis actually doing alright? Ugh.

Anywho, serial murderin seems like a noble profession.

The parade scene in the first season shows us mr. morgan would like to think so D:.

Erios on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Haha, I loved that scene so hard. Just the biggest smile on Dexter's face, and everyone there cheering him on, even Doakes. Classic

lostwords on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you know what

I'm obsessed with serial killers and I love michael c hall like it's going out of style

but this show is really not that good. emo "life is pain" dexter is awful, deb is awful, angry black lieutenant is awful, undersexed latina sergeant (or whatever she is) is awful

the only interesting thing that happens is people gettin they heads chopped off and shit

the plot blows

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those police aren't very good if they can't figure out that dexter did it when he's standing right there.

i only got to see like the first five episodes of the first season, but it was really really good. I read the books as well, but the first one kinda lost me at the end. second one was good.

would someone kindly please buy me the first season on DVD for my birthday which is on saturday? I will give you many lay down kisses

Bloods End on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    no, WaM is right

this show is such a fucking letdown

decent concept, horrible execution and good god by the third episode you could already figure out exactly how the rest of the season was going to go, and every goddamn time they showed you a "clue" they fucking smack you across the face with it and go "huh? huh? clever, right?"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    You guys need to read the books by Jeff Lindsay. The third one just came out this month, and I'm going to put it on hold next time I go to the library.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This show has the best intro credit sequence ever.

And that is a great promo image.

And it is a great show.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The main guy from dexter is playing the Secret Apprentice in Star War's The Force Unleashed game coming out in spring 2008 it's about over the top force powers like pulling down a capital ship from the sky and ramming it into the earth dbz style

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I enjoy this show.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i watched the last couple of episodes of the first season recently as showtime's been replaying them

i like this show a lot

this season looks like it's shaping up right

though damn, seriously, does doakes just have like no work to do or what

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It should be added to this thread that the books are kickass, especially over audiobook.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I kept getting the feeling that they shopped the series around to a lot of networks, and then got picked up by Showtime.

I say this because, good lord, the cursing is shoehorned in. Like they found out they could cuss and won't "Oh, snap! Shove it wherever you can! Even when it feels really forced and lame."

Also, Doakes and Debra are awful actors.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Doakes?

Dr. Doakes?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    my favorite episode is the one where he gets bitten by the clown

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you know what

I'm obsessed with serial killers and I love michael c hall like it's going out of style

but this show is really not that good. emo "life is pain" dexter is awful, deb is awful, angry black lieutenant is awful, undersexed latina sergeant (or whatever she is) is awful

the only interesting thing that happens is people gettin they heads chopped off and shit

the plot blows

Obsessed with serial killers? ummmm weird

Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It had the potential to be super creepy and awesome but slipped into 'oh my life is hell' emo rants and monologues pretty darn quick.

Still cool, but you know, we get it, you are demented, no need to cry like a bitch every episode in 5.1

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man people were sucking this show's dick a year ago and now it's all boo dexter sucks

fickle youth

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    drdoak.jpg

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    if you think dexter is just 'emo' you're an idiot

proven fact

satansfingers on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    People expect far too much from their shows about serial killers who kill serial killers.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    also i find it kind of unsettling that there are a bunch of you who would rather dexter just happily kill people without giving it a second thought than have him actually experience inner conflict

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    that would be an awesome superpower

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    also i find it kind of unsettling that there are a bunch of you who would rather dexter just happily kill people without giving it a second thought than have him actually experience inner conflict

serial killers aren't people

neither are cereal killers

captain crunch just wanted to chill on his boat, looting passerby

now he's sailing up in heaven D':

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

proven fact

of course he's not just emo/

he's emo and a whiny bitch.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

What? I'm right here.

Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

proven fact

of course he's not just emo/

he's emo and a whiny bitch.

whiny bitches whine about stupid shit

he whines about things like killing his brother

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

What? I'm right here.

ooh

hell then

sorry

sorry guys

• Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    first 2 episodes were leaked a while back

i remember it being decent
    i forget what happens though
    except for the big thing at the end of the first episode

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked the first season up until we found out who the Icetruck Killer really was

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Last night's episode was pretty good, especially the end
    Oh noes, my dead bodies

I like the interaction between Dexter and his sister, and Dexter and his lady. The sister wasn't as annoying, though it could be because she's not all "ma man is awesome". Jokes on you, your man was a serial killa.

I'm thnking that the second season isn't going to follow the plot of the second book, gives me more of a reason to watch. I think that FBI agent they showed in the previews was in the book, but umm, thats really it. Unless they bring up more stuff.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Also, if anyone wants to check it out, they have the season premiere up on this website

http://www.sho.com/site/vip/home.do

password: killer shows

Provides a brief recap of the first season in the beginning too, to catch you up.

lostwords on
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Haha, I loved that scene so hard. Just the biggest smile on Dexter's face, and everyone there cheering him on, even Doakes. Classic

If anyone has a screen cap of the poster that just says "GO DEXTER" and has his face enlarged on it, I will give you massive zjs* and blowjobs for it.

*trust me, ZJs are amazing

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wrong.

Nothing beats the slow turn and smile dexter does when he finds out the first ITK suspect is in fact, not the ITK.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.