As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grade A Idiocy

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
What bit of human stupidity gets your goat?

What action indelibly brands a person an idiot in your eyes?

I've just seen a news report about some halfwit who thought it'd be hilarious to use a laser on a news helicopter last night in Sydney.

How the fuck does someone think that's funny?

It's just under cutting a fuel line, in my eyes, in seriousness.

Maybe it's a kind of customer. Maybe it's a kind of guy at work.

Maybe more importantly than what the stupidity is, why do you think it happens in your particular case? Is it on purpose? It is because they just don't know any better? Is it society's fault? Survival of the fittest doesn't apply to the perpetually stupid anymore?

devoir on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://www.darwinawards.com/

Oh, I saw some guy walking around on the middle of the road in a huge M&M-suit. Apparently he was doing it to get in a fraternity.

Yeah

Aldo on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I saw a guy just randomly stop in the middle of the highway once. :|

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    People that tailgate, people that only slow down (but not stop) at stop signs, people that inch up into a crosswalk well before the light turns green to "scare" pedestrians into not crossing (i.e. if the driver thinks it's going to go green soon),people that don't signal when changing lanes, people that don't signal when making turns, people that go very fast on local streets especially in areas with a large population of children, people that speed like demons on streets that are very difficult to cross as it is occasionally, effectively screwing pedestrians out of a prime opportunity to cross the street, bikers that bike on the fucking sidewalk, bikers that don't respect traffic lights and stop signs even though they are legally required to, motorcyclists that do any of the previously-mentioned things, parents that try to shut their toddlers up when out in public effectively curbing their curiosity, parents that drop their pre-teens off at a store like EB Games as if they are a babysitting service and go waddle around the mall, vindictive people, people that talk in movie theaters, people that bring their small children to movie theaters and think that having children suddenly absolves them from the "no talking" rule of etiquette that non-parents at least try to conform to, people that use the law or our economic structure as moral validation or justification, little 14 year olds that go to the movies and try to ruin the experience for others by acting like assholes, kids that throw shit at packed buses, bus drivers that speed away when someone is inches from their door, people that talk loud and endlessly throughout an entire bus/plane trip, people that don't get the hint when you put earphones in and make a very obvious gesture to raise the volume (this applies to any context or situation), people that call people at 8AM from the bus and talk to other people about their sex life, their drinking habits, or any STDs they might have received as per their social interaction the previous night/weekend, people that do nothing but talk about how much they drank the night/weekend before, people that use the phrase "fuck you harder" as a rejoinder to "fuck you"...

And so on.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think Drez got all mine

edit: pre-teens in general piss me off, even the word pisses me off. Everything they do is completely wrong and ignorant

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Every company which wants to call my home phone during business hours.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    senor_xsenor_x Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    To add to Drez's automotive idiots - people who tailgate me, pass me, cut me off, and then SLOW DOWN, requiring me to either brake or pass them again.

Also, people who crowd in the Southwest Airlines corrals 2 hours before takeoff. On the other side, people who can't form orderly lines in fast food restaurants and movie theaters, and cannot keep said line moving.

Plus, when sitting outside Starbucks this weekend, there were two cars waiting to go through a 2-way stop at the intersection. Some stupid lady passes them both on the left and blows through the intersection. Apparently traffic laws and common decency weren't applicable to her and her quest to get to the Sprint store.

senor_x on
    Senor10.gif Wii 1490 9129 8407 5923
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Willful ignorance, especially regarding anything that directly touches peoples lives. The fact that people are almost completely unaware of how most stuff around them works, especially science, economics, and politics. This culminates in the fact that we now live a society where we elect/believe the person who yells the simplest worded message the most often. This applies throughout the western world.

I can accept not everyone can know everything, and that some concepts are hard to grasp. But to wilfully shut your eyes and ears, and metaphorically go through life yelling NANANANANANANANANANA for years on end, fearful you will hear things that don't agree with your spoonfed social, political or religious views, to refuse to accept the fact that our best understanding of things change constantly...

well this can go on for a long time, but the point is made. The true idiot is the one that's stupid on purpose.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was gonna say I hate anybody who hates people automatically based on their age, but then I realised it was mainly because young people who dismiss slightly younger people are all completely idiotic.

On the other hand, hating old people? Totally ok. Buncha idiots tha lotta them.

Low Key on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pedestrians who slow down significantly when crossing a road. Especially when I'm crossing behind them and, you know, I urgently want to get off the road before the wanker at the now-green light feels the need to honk at me and/or run me over. Potentially dangerous and inconsiderate, especially considering all the damn blind turns that riddle my home town.

And Drez, you've encountered a lot of idiocy in your time, eh? Nice selection you've got there. Put me down for a side order of hating 40% of the entire cinema-going population.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    I was gonna say I hate anybody who hates people automatically based on their age, but then I realised it was mainly because young people who dismiss slightly younger people are all completely idiotic.

Why you gotta sell out the best part of not being a teenager?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Drivers who see a bicycle on the road and instantly become a retard. Drivers who speed up to pass you on the left and then immediately make a right turn in front of you (the dreaded "right hook"). Drivers who take offence to being passed on a bicycle and speed past you at the next opportunity.

The majority of SUV drivers are morons. They dont need large vehicle, they certainly can't drive it, and they endanger everyone else on the road.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    People who only help someone else when that someone is pretty looking.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Why you gotta sell out the best part of not being a teenager?

When people out of Uni manage to show even half the sense of some of the teenagers I know, then they can start reveling in their years of maturity and extra frontal lobe capacity.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

How many times has that happened to you?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Bogans (urban rednecks) who take their young children to graphically violent/sexual films. At the movies.

devoir on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any motorcycle driver who wears shorts, or a t-shirt, or flip flops and doesn't wear a helmet, and leathers, or who drives recklessly, or weaves between cars, or pops wheelie on the freeway is an utter moron.

Any combination of the above acts like some kind of stupidity multiplier for their over all stupid score.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »

I never need help, for I am perfect.

But you know, when an ugly girl falls to the floor people will just giggle or look the other way and when a pretty girl falls, half the room will rush forward to help her get up.

Morons. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

But you know, when an ugly girl falls to the floor people will just giggle or look the other way and when a pretty girl falls, half the room will rush forward to help her get up.

Morons. D:

I ignore both, what does that make me?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Morons. D:

An equal opportunity asshole? :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Morons. D:

An equal opportunity asshole? :P

I'm fine with that.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2007
    The guy that suggested that the bible was the most historically accurate document ever written, "including the odyssey" pretty much blew my mind. I mean you read that shit but meeting someone who thinks it is a little different. Also claiming that evolution is bullshit because dalmations are more susceptible to disease now "than when they were perfect, in the garden of eden"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I also think it's stupid that like 20 people have that stupid fucking kitten avatar.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I also think it's stupid that like 20 people have that stupid fucking kitten avatar.

You should go ban all the copiers.

I'm the original just so you know.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The guy that suggested that the bible was the most historically accurate document ever written, "including the odyssey" pretty much blew my mind. I mean you read that shit but meeting someone who thinks it is a little different. Also claiming that evolution is bullshit because dalmations are more susceptible to disease now "than when they were perfect, in the garden of eden"

Is this guy someone vaguely famous, or a dude who you saw yelling at the bus stop?

Low Key on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Morons. D:

Consistent?

Also sort of a dick. But I ignore both too. Let's hang out.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Is this guy someone vaguely famous, or a dude who you saw yelling at the bus stop?

The missus invited some people from the pub back for a nightcap and this dude started ranting about astrology and how atheists were stupid because "if you can't believe in god what can you believe in". He eventually left when I described his beliefs as "stupid on a staggering scale"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Tube bans people IRL as well. Awesome.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You can both be sure that neither of you will help the other out if they fall, too.

devoir on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Bogans (urban rednecks) who take their young children to graphically violent/sexual films. At the movies.

My father exposed me to violent films as a child, I am mostly well adjusted. Mostly.

I hate people who throw around racial insults like they are candy. I am looking at you xbox live cretins!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In college, that guy who sat on the popular corner of campus screaming that we were going to hell for not accepting Jesus... and having his young kids out there also holding signs when they should be in school.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    People who throw in terms like "chav" "bogan" or "redneck" when they're just talking about stupid people, so as to tar an entire class of people (poor people, natch) with the stupid brush. Just say poor people. It's ok to hate poor people. Tornados hate poor people.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Bogan is a lifestyle, has little to do with money, the way I mean it.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »

Morons. D:

Consistent?

Also sort of a dick. But I ignore both too. Let's hang out.

Dicks hanging out. Alright.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    why specify bogan at all? It's the behaviour you find stupid. Is it alright if some dude in a tweed jacket and spats does the same thing? It's like "I hate it when chavs start fights on the bus", why chavs? Why are they the only ones forbidden from fighting on busses?

Tube on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    why specify bogan at all? It's the behaviour you find stupid. Is it alright if some dude in a tweed jacket and spats does the same thing? It's like "I hate it when chavs start fights on the bus", why chavs? Why are they the only ones forbidden from fighting on busses?

I personally like when yuppies fight on the bus but not when, say, latino gang members do. One is funny, the other is just cliche and uninteresting. I can't speak for anyone else on this point, though.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    For some reason, the idiocy of Gavin Menzies shits me off more than it should. The man's a complete turd.

Low Key on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Maybe that guy was talking about comparing the modern Bible to the Dead Sea scrolls and, after so many centuries, scriptures and the Dead Sea scrolls matched up pretty well.

Or maybe he believes the earth is 6, 000 years old. I don't know. Tell us more about this nut, tube.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Not much more to say, he was just an idiot. He'd "read a lot of books" about astrology and believed it to be solid and undeniable fact. He also claimed that because I didn't believe in astrology I must "believe in the war on terror" and "have money as my god"

Tube on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not much more to say, he was just an idiot. He'd "read a lot of books" about astrology and believed it to be solid and undeniable fact. He also claimed that because I didn't believe in astrology I must "believe in the war on terror" and "have money as my god"

....isn't Astrology kinda....not compatible with Christianity?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »

....isn't Astrology kinda....not compatible with Christianity?

..or reality.

"At least my god can buy me a Slurpee"

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer