As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Mystical Ninja 2 and stop the Bunny-man army! Finished! Hell Completed!

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
GanbareGoemon2J_00000.jpg

Hey there everybody. Fresh off the heels of Mario, I'm jumping right into my next journey. And after failed attempts at Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island, I've settled on playing some Goemon, or Mystical Ninja, games. This topic might be just 2 or it could include 3 and 4. I don't really want to play 1 because 1 sucks. It's hard, it's annoying, and it uses passwords to save. Screw that.

Anyway let's play Mystical Ninja 2 or Ganbare Goemon 2. This game introduced our good buddy Impact and the plot is so anti-american it's funny. Basically this guy in a bunny suit is using his bunny army to try and westernize Japan. Goemon basically goes "What?! Fuck America, they can't take our land!" and sets off to stop him. It plays like the side-scrolling sections in the first SNES game which were the best parts and is all-around just loads of fun to play. So join me on my journey through japan to defeat the Bunny-man army.

Also, this game was never released in english. All text is in japanese but I'll do my best to give you the jist of things.

Mystical Ninja 2 Videos!

We go through area 1! Also holy shit, I gots game audio!

According to Japan, we all have blonde hair. Area 2!

Awww yeah! Rocket Knight Adventure cameo! Area 3!

I will destroy all masks in the world. Mark my words. Area 4!

Take THAT western civilization! Your Dr. Wily boss fights can't stop Goemon! Main game done!

It's all over folks! The final stage! HELL!

I received mod permission to post this thread. If you want to do a similar thread, be sure to ask for mod permission yourself. And, as for how I recorded this video? Don't bother asking, because I won't answer.

Gilder on

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this is one of my favorite platformers ever. such a sweet game. looking forward to this thread :)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It really is a great game. I was disappointed when 3 took more of a Zelda feel but the side-scrolling stages in that were pretty good. 4 is just infuriating though. They go back to platforming action completely but they make it so difficult that you want to tear your eyes out.

Gilder on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    3 introduces Super Saiyan Goemon, right?

You should really do 3 just so I can see that.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    IKEEEEEEEE.jpg

I'll probably do 3 after I finish 2. I'd really like to show off Bismaru so people can know why she was in the second N64 game.

Gilder on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I don't really want to play 1 because 1 sucks. It's hard, it's annoying, and it uses passwords to save. Screw that.

Man! You pussy!
    much <3, Gilder .. but I really did want to see you get your ass kicked harder than lost levels for sheer humor's sake. I'm actually excited about this. I hope you incorporate some freestyle rap in this video </random>

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Mystical Ninja 1 is only truly enjoyable when played co-op. Piggyback rides, motherfuckers!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I guess I don't give new threads the care and respect they deserve. ;)

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    GILDER, IS THIS GAME REALLY FUN? I'M NOT QUITE SURE.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hahahah go fish robot! Kill the samurai cyborg bunnies!

This game is awesome, and i'd never even heard of it.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Aistan wrote: »
    Hahahah go fish robot! Kill the samurai bunnies!

This game is awesome, and i'd never even heard of it.
    Mystical Ninja 1 is on Virtual Console, and now that VC does imports, chances might be good of seeing it there some day.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    kingmeh123kingmeh123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have never played any of the Mystical Ninja games, but Gilder, your commentaries are so enjoyable that I'll watch these anyway. =P

kingmeh123 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    GILDER, IS THIS GAME REALLY FUN? I'M NOT QUITE SURE.

YES IT IS. IN FACT THIS GAME IS QUITE ENJOYABLE. WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS IT IS FUN TO PLAY. AND BY FUN TO PLAY I MEAN IT IS ENJOYABLE.

Gilder on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Go Japan! Fight that evil west!

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    New Video Up! Area 2!

In which I battle against the most deadly predator of the Asian people: Sharpened bamboo and crazy Kabuki hair.

Also just as a reminder, today is the last day to "apply" for the DKC LP.

Edit: Also, this update totally isn't late because my internet connection died 90% through uploading so I had to restart the whole thing. Nope, certainly not.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    New Video Up! Area 3!

There's an Impact boss and a Belmont in this episode. And for those 4 of you watching don't worry, I'm not stopping. I see things through to the end! Even 1 view per video is enough to keep me going!

Gilder on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm glad you arent giving up. Keep em coming.
    My only crank is that I still cant hear the background music too well. Maybe thats just me.
    Edit: Nevermind, just needed to use my headphones. Sounds good.

(I remember playing the first 64 game and never making it past the first Impact fight, and the first world in the second 64 game. These games hate me.)

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Damn former-Mario deserters! That or everyone got really quiet all of a sudden.

Either way, us Gilderites shall experience glory! Plus, I just popped in a different soundcard that isn't an enormous piece of crap like my old on-board one which makes me happy! Hurrah!

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Those wooden barrels you were jumping on were pickle barrels with rocks on the lids. I only know that because they're in Katamari Damacy too.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    Those wooden barrels you were jumping on were pickle barrels with rocks on the lids. I only know that because they're in Katamari Damacy too.

Do they serve any purpose? Like, are they steaming the pickles or something?

And I'm glad to see people are still watching. I should always have a really popular LP going and a niche one going. It'll be my gimmick.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Do they serve any purpose? Like, are they steaming the pickles or something?

And I'm glad to see people are still watching. I should always have a really popular LP going and a niche one going. It'll be my gimmick.

I don't think so. It's just a tub for pickling veggies.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is the one with the hidden demon stage, right?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This is the one with the hidden demon stage, right?

Yes it is, and I've also never played it since you have to beat the game to unlock it and I could never beat the final Impact boss. So that stage should be loads of fun.

Gilder on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like this Let's Play a lot more than the Mario ones, probably because I haven't played these games before.

But this thread is making me want to play the games but I don't want to because they are in moonspeak and that frustrates me

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really liked that food castle. The takoyaki enemies were really clever. As for the cubes being shredded, I think that's a kind of tofu. Maybe not. I know I've seen it before and it's a jellied something that gets cut into cubes, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

And I've always just pronounced Yae's name "Yay," even though I know that's wrong.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm guessing it's pronouned "yah-ay", if my memory of Japanese vowel sounds is correct.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is possibly the most funny set of videos ive ever seen! I take my hat off to you Gilder! You've kept me thoroughly entertained for like an hour at work! Thanks!

Snare on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Snare wrote: »
    This is possibly the most funny set of videos ive ever seen! I take my hat off to you Gilder! You've kept me thoroughly entertained for like an hour at work! Thanks!

Can I get a job where you "work"? Sounds like Shangri la!

And I've only played Legend of the Mystical Ninja, concerning Goemon games. That must be the prequel to this? Some reason, I think having played that makes this game seem crazier than not knowing of Goemon at all. I mean, so much seems to have changed. Impact, for God's sake!

Looks fun as hell, though. I imagine there are well-done fan translations for this available...but I shall cut my thought off here.

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    New Video Up! Area 4!

Mini-trainwreck. It was all going so smoothly up until that boss. I also had a headache so I got infuriated at it probably sooner than I should have but having to replay the last section over and over certainly did not help.

Also I made I mistake in the end. Re-watching, it seems western man is talking to Omitsu, not the princess. How many people are getting kidnapped in this game?!

Gilder on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ah, the fourth video brought back the magic from the Mario videos! Gilder suffering at the hands of a boss!

Also, the line "Oh God! He's gone furry on me!" must be nominated for a place in the PA mythology. :)

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Absolutely awesome video's, especially the last one.... thank you :)

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    New Video Up! Main game completed!

Yep, main game done. All that's left is the optional bonus stage. Also at one point some awesome game over music plays but unfortunately I didn't manage to lean in/turn the volume up high enough in time so you guys can't hear it. Whooooops. Stupid music randomly changing volumes!

Gilder on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mystical Ninja 1 is my favourite game ever. It's a shame you're skipping it.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well I could do it but I'd never be able to finish it. I can never get past Tengu Mountain and the levels only get harder after that. If I had a second player to help me I could do it but I don't.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It is rather difficult. I've played it through to completion A LOT so if I can get my capture card running I'll do it.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Good job with the videos. Entertaining as always.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I just can't believe I beat the main story that quickly. Last time I got stuck in that airship town because I couldn't find the way I was supposed to go. I guess I just lucked out when I hit that barrel.

Now I get the fun of doing really well on mini-games for a skull or something. I'm not going to record that though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just can't believe I beat the main story that quickly. Last time I got stuck in that airship town because I couldn't find the way I was supposed to go. I guess I just lucked out when I hit that barrel.

Now I get the fun of doing really well on mini-games for a skull or something. I'm not going to record that though.

and by not record that you mean do an awesome montage video, right?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2007

and by not record that you mean do an awesome montage video, right?

I'm not good at editing stuff so probably not. Unless it's actually easier to win those mini-games than it sounds, in which case I'll just record the thing. I think I have to do that gradius one though which is going to be awful because I suck at gradius.

Gilder on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Great video, Gilder. I've never made it to the end myself, so that stuff was new to me.

About the sound. When you said it was at the loudest, it was just right, if that helps.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, btw, I'm pretty sure that "Dick Tracy" guy with the gun and the trenchcoat is from Snatcher. It was a Konami game for the Sega CD, I believe, where you have to hunt down robots disguised as humans, or something like that. I remember hearing that it had some devoted fans, among the few people who've played it.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!