Options

Found some SNES games in my parent's basement

DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
So I was cleaning out all of the junk I've stowed in my parent's basement, and I found some SNES games and other things. Namely:

Super Street Fighter II
The 7th Saga
Final Fantasy 3
Super Gameboy Adaptor
Game Genie for the SNES
Game Genie for the Gameboy

Is this stuff worth anything? I imagine that FF3 might be, but I really have no clue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Daybreak on

• Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Super Street Fighter II is a great game. I can't wait for them to release that on the VC ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    7th Saga... very underrated RPG... definitely worth a playthrough.

Brue on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I should also add that I don't own a SNES :(

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those are some good games. You should play them. No idea what the resale value of them might be.

But I say you should keep them.

And also play Metroid II using that Super Gameboy.

slash000 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

Fix that problem then. :P

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those games are worthless.

However, I've got a SNES I'm fixing up and need to test it out on some old games.

I'll give you $10 and pay shipping for everything you listed.

Best deal you're going to get.

I swear.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I offer $11

LewieP on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I paid $30 for my copy of FF3 several years back. I think that's about the average going price for a copy in decent shape.

And yes, fix your "problem" and play FF3. Edit: Oh good, you've already played it.

Edit: I'm also seriously considering buying it off you so that I can have a backup copy around.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That copy of FF3 is completely worthless. You should probably just give it to me so I can take it off your hands.
    Just kidding
    I'd give you at least $20 for it
    Probably more

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah FF3 would probably be worth up to $30.00 to $40.00. I have two of the old carts myself, but I can't imagine why it's worth so much considering it is now on the PS1 and the Gameboy Advanced.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't want it to sound like I've never played these games before: I played the hell out of them as a kid. Though I liked FF2 better than FF3, I still played 3 a bunch. And SF2 (along with FF2 and LTTP) was part of the holy trinity of SNES gaming of my youth.

7th Saga, though, I never made it very far in. I remember the difficulty jumping substantially, just after you get to recruit another one of the main characters on your team. I always played as the robot dude. Man, I really do need to play this one again! :p

But yes, I am looking to unload all of this. I just don't have the time to go back into nostalgia, and I already have GBA versions of FF3 and SF2 (no 7th Saga, obv). I'll scope out prices on ebay and such, and of course I'd be very happy to sell it to a fellow PAer.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Yeah FF3 would probably be worth up to $30.00 to $40.00. I have two of the old carts myself, but I can't imagine why it's worth so much considering it is now on the PS1 and the Gameboy Advanced.

FF3 (and an accompanying SNES) has a permanent seat in my games library. Right next to Tribes and Starcraft. I will always own an original copy of this game. I will start selling organs before I part with any of them. Even if I never play them again. I'm just like that.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    A local pawn shop sells all Square SNES games for $100.

They have a shrinked copy of Chrono Trigger for $250.

Sure, they are valuable. But that much? Come on.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Amazon has a new copy of Super Mario RPG for $495. I'm nostalgic, but some people are just weird.

Edit: Moreover, why didn't the original owner play the damned thing?

Edit 2:Holy crap, used copies of Earthbound start at $73.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a working SNES that I still use. I'd be willing to buy one or more of the games.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did your parents have a secret second son, you know one that they actually loved?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aiserou wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

FF3 (and an accompanying SNES) has a permanent seat in my games library. Right next to Tribes and Starcraft. I will always own an original copy of this game. I will start selling organs before I part with any of them. Even if I never play them again. I'm just like that.

I totally agree. I've accumulated three SNES's (SNESES?) with appropriate cables and controllers and original carts of FF2, FF3, that Mystic Quest thing, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc. Don't get me wrong - I love them, but I can't imagine people spending that much money for them.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    When I worked up north in the oil industry in 2000 a local store (Zellers, think Canadian Target) had a new copy of Earthbound on the shelf next to their N64 games bearing the original retail price of $79.99.

I have no idea why I didn't buy it and still regret it to this day.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I suspect they're selling them to johnny-come-lately's like me.

For whatever reason, even though I had a SNES as a kid I never played RPGs. I played my first Final Fantasy in college in 2003.

So, you've got a game that isn't being produced anymore and that people tend to hold on to. It wasn't exactly exceedingly common in its day, either. And there's a lot of people who've only discovered these classics in the past few years.

Law of supply and demand, folks.

That said, I do own FF6 Advance, which helps. But what about games like Chrono Trigger? I figure if Square was going to re-release CT they'd have done it by now. (All I want is a FF-Advance style release! I don't need a fancy remake....)

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't want it to sound like I've never played these games before: I played the hell out of them as a kid. Though I liked FF2 better than FF3, I still played 3 a bunch. And SF2 (along with FF2 and LTTP) was part of the holy trinity of SNES gaming of my youth.

7th Saga, though, I never made it very far in. I remember the difficulty jumping substantially, just after you get to recruit another one of the main characters on your team. I always played as the robot dude. Man, I really do need to play this one again! :p

But yes, I am looking to unload all of this. I just don't have the time to go back into nostalgia, and I already have GBA versions of FF3 and SF2 (no 7th Saga, obv). I'll scope out prices on ebay and such, and of course I'd be very happy to sell it to a fellow PAer.

The Robot dude (Lux was his name) was the second-hardest to complete the game with, with Wilme (the alien monster thing) being the most difficult.

I usually partnered Lux with the Elf chick (Esuna) or the Cleric (I forget his name but he was a douche anyway).

The main issue with 7th Saga was that it was a grinder's RPG in most respects. There would always be an easy method for defeating most of the bosses, but the enemies from area to area were usually more difficult than the boss fights. A lot of grinding was needed to beat each section of the game, and the bosses you faced from time to time that were the other playable characters scaled up as you leveled and were somewhere between insanely difficult and absolutely impossible.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    That said, I do own FF6 Advance, which helps. But what about games like Chrono Trigger? I figure if Square was going to re-release CT they'd have done it by now. (All I want is a FF-Advance style release! I don't need a fancy remake....)

They did re-release Chrono Trigger on PSX. While the load times are unbearable, its not nearly bad enough to pretend it doesn't exist.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    (All I want is a FF-Advance style release! I don't need a fancy remake....)

My dream (and probably the dream of most of the people reading this) is a direct port of every NES, SNES, and 64 game to the DS. No fancy graphics, hell, I'm not even sure I want bug fixes.

Stupid licensing. :(

Aiserou on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »

The Robot dude (Lux was his name) was the second-hardest to complete the game with, with Wilme (the alien monster thing) being the most difficult.

I usually partnered Lux with the Elf chick (Esuna) or the Cleric (I forget his name but he was a douche anyway).

The main issue with 7th Saga was that it was a grinder's RPG in most respects. There would always be an easy method for defeating most of the bosses, but the enemies from area to area were usually more difficult than the boss fights. A lot of grinding was needed to beat each section of the game, and the bosses you faced from time to time that were the other playable characters scaled up as you leveled and were somewhere between insanely difficult and absolutely impossible.
    I partnered everyone--especially the elf chick--with the cleric, because the cleric gets the most broken spell in the whole entire game.
    Elixir. It heals you completely. HP AND MP.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I partnered everyone--especially the elf chick--with the cleric, because the cleric gets the most broken spell in the whole entire game.
    Elixir. It heals you completely. HP AND MP.

I know that. It also replenishes the MP needed to cast it.

How that made it through any design doc ANYWHERE I'll never know.

But I liked the game because it was hard. Suddenly having it turn into mindless pablum at the end was no fun at all, that's why I HATED the cleric.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I look at it as a reward for getting to the end. :)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AbabyatemydingoAbabyatemydingo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I still have all the PSX FF remakes..(anthology, etc). The CT did have long load times but I still play it when I have a hankering, and my crowning acheivment is a sealed original Final Fantasy Box that I picked up in the middle of Wisconsin somewhere for like 30 bucks in '97. It was sitting on a shelf in a run down old gas station/mini mart next to some old tapes with a ten dollar price tag....my idiot friend exclaimed loudly and the old, fat man behind the counter jacked up the price.

Ababyatemydingo on
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason"
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

They did re-release Chrono Trigger on PSX. While the load times are unbearable, its not nearly bad enough to pretend it doesn't exist.

It only lead to a temporary dip in the price you could get for CT. A few months after people played it, it started going for a new high on ebay. :lol:

That being said, you can get serious cash for a sealed copy of earthbound in that giant box. I saw one sell at an auction a year or two ago for almost $500. I bought mine for $7 on clearance.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh god 7th Saga.

I swear that game gave me PTSD.

august on
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Daybreak, I'll also be interested in taking those off your hands when you figure out some prices.

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

It only lead to a temporary dip in the price you could get for CT. A few months after people played it, it started going for a new high on ebay. :lol:

That being said, you can get serious cash for a sealed copy of earthbound in that giant box. I saw one sell at an auction a year or two ago for almost $500. I bought mine for $7 on clearance.

My life's biggest regret is that I didn't own a SNES, so when I saw brand new copy of Earthbound @ Walmart for UNDER TEN FUCKING DOLLARS, My grandmother wouldn't buy it for me. This also, wasn't that many years after it came out. Maybe two.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg