As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beauty and the Geek 4

MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.cwtv.com/shows/beauty-and-the-geek-4/

On the CW on Tuesdays at 8! Nerdy guys and hot ditzy girls trying to change for the better! While backstabbing each other or alternatively making out!

Anyone else watch this? For a reality show with a prize, I think it's much better than things like The Bachelor or Joe Millionaire, because it takes the romance element out of it and makes the competition all about bettering yourself and expanding out of your comfort zones. For the guys this is in the social arena and for the girls this is realizing they can develop other skills besides looking pretty and getting breast implants.

In the end though, it still is a reality show. And every season someone ends up making out in the house.

So what do we think?

Also, this season they threw in a "nerdy girl" and a hot guy. However, the hot guy is actually an actor (here's his imdb page: http://imdb.com/name/nm0395353/ the picture has been taken off of it since the last time I visited but it's definitely him) and the nerdy girl has also been rumored to be an actress. Lame?

Medopine on

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually enjoy this show. My wife and I watch it together and it's fun to see if I can answer the questions they give the men, and vice versa. I like that the overall "message" of the show is that people really aren't all that different, and by working together some of the contestants realize that.

It could all be a big charade, but I especially liked how last season the one guy sabotaged his team's chances at winning because his partner was a total bitch who hadn't learned anything at all.

Sometimes I'm amazed people THAT geeky actually exist though :P

That is pretty lame if the inverse couple is actors though.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    stryker116 wrote: »

Wasn't a guy on these very forums on that show? I seem to recall something to that effect, and how they were encouraged to act as weird/geeky as possible.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah the end of last season was awesome. Though Jenni Lee was pretty stupid with Nate. Put girls like that in a house with guys for long enough and SOMEone will find someone to have a crush on, for no particular reason. Said crush obviously disappears after the show is over. Dumb.

But the show is quite enjoyable, I agree. :)

Medopine on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Yeah the end of last season was awesome. Though Jenni Lee was pretty stupid with Nate. Put girls like that in a house with guys for long enough and SOMEone will find someone to have a crush on, for no particular reason. Said crush obviously disappears after the show is over. Dumb.

But the show is quite enjoyable, I agree. :)
    I totally loved the end of last season.

I started watching it a couple episodes in and was hooked because, for the most part, it was so ridiculous. I likely won't be following this season though.

It was Nate and Jenni Lee that got me last season. Nate was awesome, especially at the end.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Doc wrote: »

Wasn't a guy on these very forums on that show? I seem to recall something to that effect, and how they were encouraged to act as weird/geeky as possible.

Wow I had never heard that before... I remember some guy from these forums was on Amazing race though.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There are some nice players this time, as far as the guys go. The girls seem ok. No one really terrible like CiCi was.

And one guy that seriously needs to be broken of his LARPing habits.

Medopine on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    they were encouraged to act as weird/geeky as possible.

That makes me sad.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There are some nice players this time, as far as the guys go. The girls seem ok. No one really terrible like CiCi was.

Hahaha I love how even in the intro he's standing there with his sword like some kind of badass.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

Wow I had never heard that before... I remember some guy from these forums was on Amazing race though.

He was a guy who wore a plastic hood or something upon the request of the producers/directors.

On the "reality TV" side of things, "Cheaters" is totally fake. My friend's sister's boyfriend (that sounds tenuous when I type it out) was "caught" by the show. He showed us the DVD of the episode and everything. It was probably real right up until the host got stabbed, then they started faking it.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Hahaha I love how even in the intro he's standing there with his sword like some kind of badass.

He had an awesome convo with his partner last episode. The beauties were supposed to learn anatomy.

Geek: Yeah that could be where the pancreas is.
    Beauty: Why don't you know this! I don't know this stuff, I'm just a babysitter that used to be a cheerleader.
    Geek: I'm not a biology kind of guy, I'm more of a physical sciences kind of guy.
    Beauty: But this IS physical! It's your body!!!
    Geek: Point taken.

Medopine on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That would be Manifest, and he shamed us all.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited October 2007

He had an awesome convo with his partner last episode. The beauties were supposed to learn anatomy.

Geek: Yeah that could be where the pancreas is.
    Beauty: Why don't you know this! I don't know this stuff, I'm just a babysitter that used to be a cheerleader.
    Geek: I'm not a biology kind of guy, I'm more of a physical sciences kind of guy.
    Beauty: But this IS physical! It's your body!!!
    Geek: Point taken.

I was laughing pretty hard when they asked them to identify the left earlobe, and a couple of them got it wrong.

I can't remember his name, but that guy "beauty" seems like a total tool. Now that you mention him being an actor, it definitely seems like he's doing his best to fulfill every stereotype about muscular party boy types.

The show is most enjoyable when they're farther along and as the women get to know the men better, they start to realize their hobbies aren't so odd, and the men start to realize that the women aren't just braindead models (in most cases). It's probably lame of me but I like the makeover part too, just because it shows how dramatically you can change your appearance and alter people's perceptions of you.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Outside of the weird Joker smile she has, the girl geek doesn't seem all that unattractive. I mean it wouldn't be all that hard to see if she's an actress - Tufts is just a few miles North of me, and I meet people who go there all the time.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Bumping this just to say that Rebecca is a crybaby whore, ugh.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually liked Rebecca in the beginning. I thought hey, she's cute but not stereotypically hot, and she's apparently got some brains in her. Then she started making out with the dude beauty all the time, and I stopped liking her as much cause she spent all her time fucking around and not interacting with the geeks. And then she had sex over the girl geek and I started to loath her. Honestly I was yelling at them through my TV.

I think what I love about the show so much is that I know a person like each of the geeks, and it just makes me laugh.

Vindicta_ on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RedTide wrote: »

That would be Manifest, and he shamed us all.

Wait...wait...what? That's the first I heard of this. I love Amazing Race; who was he? My first guess is one half of Season 9's Team Nerd, but I have no freaking idea. That's incredible!

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.