As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Copeing with Bipolar Disorder

StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm pretty sure that I'm bipolar. I know its an emo subject, but I really want to change because these crashes are getting unacceptable and I'm afraid of what will happen to me.

The thing is, I'm trying to get through it without medication. All the people I know who've taking medications for their mental illnesses have horror stories and I can't help but think going through something like that will have a permanent effect on me, be it through brain damage, or an attempted suicide that winds up a little less attempted.

Does anyone know of a way to cope with this disorder without medication? Any experiences people could share? Perhaps mental exercises?

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
Staleghoti on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2007
    Get diagnosed, get therapy.

Tube on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Get diagnosed, get therapy.

Pretty much.

Also, while some people have bad reactions to certain medications, not investigating that angle just because of that is doing yourself a huge disservice. Its like refusing to get treatment for an infection because you're allergic to penicillin, despite the existence of perfectly viable alternate drugs.

Don't let the horror stories put you off investigating every possible path to get better.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Speaking of someone who has hyper-manic bipolar disorder, get in and talk to a doc. It really helps a lot. You don't Have to do drug therapy, (though I do) there's counseling available, support groups and other folks who can help. The drugs don't fix everything, but it makes it a lot easier to cope with stuff. The mood swings and stuff may seem minor, but it's definately worth getting checked out. I waited Way too long and found that a lot of the things that were wrong in my world were directly linked to the fact that I was partially nuts, undiagnosed and untreated. I'm better now =)

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.