As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DUMP] updated 10/20 NSFW, 56K

TamTam Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Artist's Corner
Right, so Biology is hard for me and doesn't leave lotsa time for arting. However, I found the time to do these. Sorry about the shitty paper. As it is, I only have yellowing, decade-old paper to work with. I'll have to buy a notebook when I get paid for my menial labor at Jack In The Box.

It's great how I'm posting at 11pm.

stithianT.jpg

stithianG2.jpg

stithianG.jpg

Smoker.jpg

ndy.jpg

evolutionsjoke.jpg

dbfr.jpg

bikermower.jpg

2g1p.jpg

Dese wuz in da doodle thred:

Julia.jpg

SourdoughDragon.jpg

Mary.jpg

Ian.jpg

Tam on

• Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So ive been in art school for a little over a month now. The single most impactful bit of knowledge gained thus far is this: your entire drawing relies on how you touch the surface with the drawing tool. You can know every bit of human anatomy and be a master of your own right brain, but it doesnt mean anything if your lines arent under your control. Gesture is fantastic (particularly on the third page down) but you really need to reign in your scribbles.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cool. I'll starting herding them in.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It'd be, you know, totally cool if I got little more feedback. I have no idea where to go right now except for what nation said.

Tam on
  • Options
    EpiEpi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like Nation said, your stuff just looks scratchy. Beyond that though you have a pretty good handle on sketching. Especially in body form and posture.

A couple of odd things that caught my eye browsing through the pictures were:

First guy has a hawk's talons for a hand.

The chain smoker looks awkward holding a pencil, like a Caucasian using chopsticks for the first time. The arm holding the coffee mug looks like it would get tired. Maybe have the mug off the table to imply the action of picking up/setting down or have the arm rest on the table. His hand seems a bit larger too.
    On a really minute detail, the Ohm symbol is missing the line beneath the dot...

Your chimera's proportions appear a little off. More specifically the head seems to small for the hulking creature and it also appears to be attached to the left shoulder rather than centered.

Your hover car looks like it accommodate someone the size of a six year old. I'm also having trouble distinguishing the gender of the pilot.

Beyond that you've got some great stuff. Like the sandwich demon. He's my favorite.

Epi on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanksabunch. I've definitely got work to do on making my work look more natural (interactons and scale). To clarify though, the guy with the talons is actually wearing a claw hand.

Tam on
  • Options
    EpiEpi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wish I had a claw hand

Epi on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you have some very interesting character designs, and i'll give you creativity points. Yes, as everyone else said, u need to clean out ur lines; but honestly these just seem like rough preliminary sketches that are waiting to be scanned and digitized.

I would like to some finished pieces, or atleast some pencil work that looks 'finished' if u get what i'm saying.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If my Wacom still worked, I do that. I'll try and get some finished drawings online in a week or so.

Tam on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tam wrote:
    dbfr.jpg

These guys on the left look really good.

Switching from cross hatching to blocks of shadows is good for adding bulk to a figure and making it seem more solid, and it might help move you away from the 'too sketchy' problem that everyone's been mentioning.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks. I've been trying to concentrate on my process and reasoning in sketching and I think I've been thinking "They'll get the idea". So I'll have to get used to the idea that that isn't sufficient. I'll try to pool everything you guys have said into a new batch after my midterms on Monday.

Tam on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    you can pull off a decent cartoon or animated look, which I like. It also affords you a bit more leeway on proportions and what not. Sketches look good, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do once u get a new tablet.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    er, sorry about the thread necromancy, but I didn't think these two sketches warranted their own thread. Anyway, I tried making my lines more coherent.

miniWEAPON-1.jpg

WEAPON-1.jpg

btw, these aren't like turn-arounds or anything. They're similar monsters, but not the same.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Friends who let you borrow their Wacom tablets are the best kind.

oldies.jpg

Tam on