As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing edition of Vista down

AbelsAbels Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am downgrading from Vista Ultimate to Business on my computer (both 64-bit), but do not want to lose my hundreds of gigs of data. Does anyone know of an easy way to do this? I could:
- install business over ultimate, and hope that it works (does anyone have experience doing this? Does Vista's install wipe the partition before installing on it?).
- buy a second hard drive to back up my data (too much for DVDs) and use Windows Easy Transfer, wipe the system drive, and install from scratch
- ???

Abels on

• Options
    KaennethKaenneth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vista's install should never wipe the partition unless you tell it to reformat or repartition.

I just tried it, on a 32 bit system, it does allow me to run Business setup on Ultimate, warning that the old OS will be moved to Windows.old; I don't have a 64 bit Ultimate handy, but it should be exactly the same.

It's not an 'upgrade' just a new install, and it did say that I won't be able to use the old OS.

I've never used Easy Transfer though, I mainly work with clean Vista installs (at a 'large software company in the Pacific Northwest')

You can generally upgrade from one edition to a 'higher' one (Home to Premium, Business, or Ultimate; Premium or Business to Ultimate) but downgrading while keeping settings is just plain unsupported. Imagine if you were using drive encryption, or joined to a domain... your machine might become unusable by trying to keep inapplicable settings.

In any case, backups are always good to have.

Kaenneth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thank you!

Abels on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why? Ultimate has every feature Business has, plus more.

Azio on