As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you won the Lottery!

JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey all,

what would you do if you won the Lottery?

Say £80,000,000 ($160,000,000)... Would you quit school and never work again? Would you invest or spluge it all on videogames, or hookers, or beer and videogames and hookers?

Do you think winning the Lottery would make you a better person or a worse one? Would you give to charity or to your family?

I think that if I won 80mil (£), i'd give 10mil to my parents, 5mil to each brother (I have two), 5mil split between my Auntie, Uncle, cousins and Grandmother on one side of the family, and the same on the other.

I'd have 50mil left which i'd give 5 of to a charity, or maybe a few charities. Then i'd stick 35mil into savings and investments, and basically live off the interest, and use the 10mil left to buy whatever I wanted.

Say a house, some cars, some shit for my friends and just basically anything that took my fancy.

So, what about ya'll?

Johannen on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Its a bit of an open question. You may as well ask what would you do if you had a shit load of money.

Theres only one thing I'd do, build a giant mansion filed with everything I could ever possibly want; garage with nice cars, a bowling alley, cinema, pool, all that kinda stuff. Plus obviously make sure my family never have to lift a finger again if they don't want to.

But it'd make me a worse human being to everyone else because...well theyre greedy assholes and I'm rich and better than them. I mnight keep my job though for a while for something to do during the week.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    First things first, I take the annuity (we'll say it's 20-year). It's insanity insurance. That way, even if I lose my shit the first year and buy gold-plated yaks or something, I've still got 19 more chances to get my head back on my shoulders. I've read the stories of all the people who won, burned through the money in two years and wound up more miserable than they started. By definition, they all took lump sum, thus giving themselves the CHANCE to burn through all the money at once.

And the hell of it is, almost nobody ever does the annuity. Look at this page of Powerball winners since 2003. It shows how they all decided to go: Two took the annuity. Two took a mixed payment (these were both pools of winners). Everyone else- 60 winners- went lump sum.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Invest most; give some to my family; use the rest to travel and maybe buy a few things. There’s not much material stuff I desire.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Say £80,000,000 ($160,000,000)... Would you quit school and never work again? Would you invest or spluge it all on videogames, or hookers, or beer and videogames and hookers?

I'd get a one room apartment and a bed, and I would sleep until I died.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would invest some, and take random classes that interest me in-between the various vacations I would take.

Also I'd buy a panther.

And then, depending on how my funds were holding up, I'd get:
    A) An offshore oil drilling platform. (I'm not entirely sure how expensive those actually are)
    B) A large plot of land to build a huge fucking mansion on loaded to the teeth with secret passageways.
    C) A tall building in a random major city that I can make my base of operations for whatever crazy business I decide to found. There would be a helicopter pad and some pretty hardcore awesome living quarters. And lots of computers. Maybe some dudes with guns and body armor standing near the elevators.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I won a large ammount in excess of 20 million I would ask for my name as a winner not to be announced
    then I would invest it
    I do plan on going to certain places that I would like to visit

But in short I would avoid the temption of making it known that I had large ammounts of money

Brainleech on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whatever you did in life though, you'd always be known as "that guy that wom the Lottery" and it's not like you have earned it.

Johannen on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd give all the homeless people in Seattle $20 each to go live in Bellevue, a wealthy, super preppy, super white suburb, just because I think it would be funny.

Doc on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    You know what I hate? When this question comes up and people bid down the amount of money they're talking about - "Man, I don't need three hundred million. Who needs that much? I'd be fine with five mill" - as if that's somehow more reasonable and/or likely.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    You know what I hate? When this question comes up and people bid down the amount of money they're talking about - "Man, I don't need three hundred million. Who needs that much? I'd be fine with five mill" - as if that's somehow more reasonable and/or likely.
    I’d be happy with any free money from a lottery. I mean, I don’t deserve the money regardless of quantity.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd open my own video game store and be exceedingly rude to annoying customers.

I'd build one of those green houses.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Whatever you did in life though, you'd always be known as "that guy that wom the Lottery" and it's not like you have earned it.

So? A ton of people don't earn their fortunes, they are born into it.

I'd invest almost all of it, after setting my parent, brother and best friend up with a million each probably.

Then I'd probably spend most of my time just pursuing what interest me but I don't have time for right now in my life. Traveling, martial arts, videogames, hanging out. I'd definitely drop all my classes at school, and just take random ones that interest me, as the pursuit of knowledge is great.

I'd finally be able to buy and finish a warhammer army.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would quit my job and become a professional dancer.

There's not much money in it, even once you get to the top. Unless you're at the top of the world, and you'd take a big risk by sacrificing a career to try and get there.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    I'd give all the homeless people in Seattle $20 each to go live in Bellevue, a wealthy, super preppy, super white suburb, just because I think it would be funny.

:^:

Man, I have no fucking idea what I'd do with like $60M (which is all you'd get to keep of $160M after taxes and what not).

I'd like to think I'd be smart. Buy a moderately expensive (less than $1M) house outright...yes, I realize that financially buying outright is generally a poor decision...but I don't want to fuck with it. Drop a couple hundred thousand on cars for me and the wife. Drop another couple/few hundred thousand on a boat/yacht. Figure a few hundred thousand to furnish the house (including....well, lets just say electronics).

And fuck, I'd still have like $50M+ left. Even assuming I give a couple/few million to my parents and the wife's, we're still talking like $40M. Invested relatively conservatively, it'd be easy to keep up with the taxes/upkeep on all the aforementioned toys and live a comfortable upper-middle to upper-class existence for the rest of my days without needing. to work at all. Though I'm sure I'd want to do something.

Seriously, unless you have a large family and large circle of friends fully of money-grubbing bastards, I don't see how you can fuck this up.

Then again, I imagine that when you've got tens of millions in the bank your circle of friends (and, hell, family...like Eminem says, "all of a sudden I've got 90-some cousins" or some such) would quickly swell...and just as quickly be populated with money-grubbing bastards.

So there's always option B. Pay off all debt, buy a modest house, cars, and boat outright (yeah, I'd like a boat), drop a million or so on everybody in the family and all my friends at the time of my winning, then party like a fucking rock star for a couple years until the shit runs out...and go on with my life as usual except with the bonus of being debt-free and having modest assets that I didn't have before.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    First things first, I take the annuity (we'll say it's 20-year). It's insanity insurance. That way, even if I lose my shit the first year and buy gold-plated yaks or something, I've still got 19 more chances to get my head back on my shoulders. I've read the stories of all the people who won, burned through the money in two years and wound up more miserable than they started. By definition, they all took lump sum, thus giving themselves the CHANCE to burn through all the money at once.

That's not necessarily the case though. Not all states have lump sum payouts and even then there is trouble. There are many companies that will let you borrow money from them by signing over future installments. That's even worse IMHO, your spending money you don't even have.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070129/NEWS05/701290336/1021/NEWS05
    One of the best examples is Curtis Sharp Jr., an air-conditioning technician from Newark, N.J., who won $5 million playing Lotto in 1982.

Sharp filmed commercials for the New Jersey Lottery Division, became something of a local celebrity - and blew his money on cars and fine living.

Before long, he was borrowing against future payout checks. When it was all gone, he moved to Tennessee and became a minister.

Forget borrowing, there are companies that will BUY your winnings outright.

http://www.fsgerard.com/sell_lottery_payment.asp

In the end, its about how smart you are with your money regardless of what you choose.

I'd take the lump sum myself, invest the vast majority of it. The investment of the larger sum up front would be more beneficial than small payouts over time. I would take about 10 to 15 percent though and blow through it with family and friends, positively sicken myself of money to the point I wouldn't want to mess with the rest.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Probably take the lump sum, since I think I could get better returns in 20 years than they'd give me - dump most of it in index funds, and then become a venture capitalist. That seems like the most fun fucking job ever. You listen to people's crazy ideas, then decide which ones you want to give money to.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd take the lump sum myself, invest the vast majority of it. The investment of the larger sum up front would be more beneficial than small payouts over time. I would take about 10 to 15 percent though and blow through it with family and friends, positively sicken myself of money to the point I wouldn't want to mess with the rest.

You know, with a smaller payout (like $5M or so) I'd probably honestly want to get rid of it. I mean, a minority of it would go towards long-term investments or assets that I'd still have (such as buying a house, college funds for the kids, etc.) but really for the rest I'd almost just want to make it go away so people would leave me the fuck alone. With something insane like $60M you can afford to spread the wealth around and still be filthy rich yourself...with a smaller payout it's pretty easy for it to disappear into all the hands that go out, and it'd be easy to wind up pretty bitter about that. And if you didn't share it, your friends/family would wind up bitter. Yeah, you might say "fuck them," but they're still people you care about.

I don't know that it's really likely for somebody to fall bass-ackwards into a moderately but not obscenely large amount of money without having some pretty severe social consequences between them and their friends and family.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I won the lottery, I would get my phone disconnected

Just Like That on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let my parents retire, on the condition that my mother quit smoking. Set up an annuity for them, all that jazz.

Finish law school.

Buy a decent condo in Boston.

Set up an annuity for my self as a safety net.

Invest a bunch.

Walk across the United States.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wouldn't tell anyone, I'd take the lump sum and invest it.

A small part of the money I would roll into the company that I work in.

I'd travel as I liked, and would be comfortable but not extravagant. Most of the money would stay in whatever funds and accounts make the most money until I retired, at which time I would start investing it into charity.

devoir on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

You know, with a smaller payout (like $5M or so) I'd probably honestly want to get rid of it. I mean, a minority of it would go towards long-term investments or assets that I'd still have (such as buying a house, college funds for the kids, etc.) but really for the rest I'd almost just want to make it go away so people would leave me the fuck alone. With something insane like $60M you can afford to spread the wealth around and still be filthy rich yourself...with a smaller payout it's pretty easy for it to disappear into all the hands that go out, and it'd be easy to wind up pretty bitter about that. And if you didn't share it, your friends/family would wind up bitter. Yeah, you might say "fuck them," but they're still people you care about.

I don't know that it's really likely for somebody to fall bass-ackwards into a moderately but not obscenely large amount of money without having some pretty severe social consequences between them and their friends and family.

Don't get me started on people's whole 'you owe me' mentality, but you're right. That's going to change any relationship, family or otherwise. I'm a pretty generous guy, but realistic. I'd set up my immediate family pretty well, extended would be given a fair share too, but within limits and with a cutoff. 'Here's x amount of dollars to do what you want with but that's it.' If they blew it and came back for more, I'd just deal with the fallout.

Course I do have some relatives that resemble the brother in this story, so might spruce up security beforehand...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/8lotteryWinnersWhoLostTheirMillions.aspx
    William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988 but now lives on his Social Security.

"I wish it never happened. It was totally a nightmare," says Post.

A former girlfriend successfully sued him for a share of his winnings. It wasn't his only lawsuit. A brother was arrested for hiring a hit man to kill him, hoping to inherit a share of the winnings. Other siblings pestered him until he agreed to invest in a car business and a restaurant in Sarasota, Fla., -- two ventures that brought no money back and further strained his relationship with his siblings.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

The way I would work it, if I only got a moderately large sum like 5 million, is I would help out the people in my family and circle of friends who really need the help, perhaps by paying for their kids' education, and then just buy really nice presents for a lot of them, say, $10k worth each.

That way they don't get the idea that I'm going to let them just quit their jobs and give them all the money, I haven't ignored them, but the bulk of the enjoyment of the money still rests with me...ie...I'd be driving an Audi R8, and such.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Brynj wrote: »
    Don't get me started on people's whole 'you owe me' mentality, but you're right. That's going to change any relationship, family or otherwise. I'm a pretty generous guy, but realistic. I'd set up my immediate family pretty well, extended would be given a fair share too, but within limits and with a cutoff. 'Here's x amount of dollars to do what you want with but that's it.' If they blew it and came back for more, I'd just deal with the fallout.

Course I do have some relatives that resemble the brother in this story, so might spruce up security beforehand...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/8lotteryWinnersWhoLostTheirMillions.aspx
    William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988 but now lives on his Social Security.

"I wish it never happened. It was totally a nightmare," says Post.

A former girlfriend successfully sued him for a share of his winnings. It wasn't his only lawsuit. A brother was arrested for hiring a hit man to kill him, hoping to inherit a share of the winnings. Other siblings pestered him until he agreed to invest in a car business and a restaurant in Sarasota, Fla., -- two ventures that brought no money back and further strained his relationship with his siblings.

How do you successfully sue someone for a share of THEIR lottery winnings?

What POSSIBLE grounds could she have?

I'll edit this post after I read the article and see if it answers my question.

EDIT: No, it doesn't. Thoughts, anyone? what grounds could she have sued him for his winnings?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sex. She claimed she was a prostitute and was claiming back earnings.

devoir on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd buy a boat and an island. Then I would staff it exclusively with buxum blondes and brunnettes, all 17-21. I would then train them all to be ninjas.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd finish my dad's and my comic collection. Of course, that would probably use most of the winnings...

Well, and invest it in order to produce a viable pool of capital for a future business, or eventual retirement.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1) Pay my parents back for college.

2) Finish college, because just because I won't have to work doesn't mean I want to be goddamn useless.

3) Take exactly two thirds of the lump sum and invest it in something nice and stable. Take the other third and buy a car and, well ... electronics, and put the rest of that third savings for buying a house when done with college.

4) Probably do volunteer open-source programming on my own time, or something.
    5) Two girls at the same time.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would buy a tropical island and build the Cloudman Memorial, a giant phallic tower made of marble, 50 stories high. And I guess I'd probably build a multi-million dollar penthouse on the isle. I would purchase a pack of ten jaguars to protect my property from any pesky family members, and then I would party extremely hearty.

I'm not joking.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    5) Two girls at the same time.

I was waiting for this. I didn't want to be the one that did it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd never quit school just because I suddenly had plenty of money. In fact, that's probably one of the things I'd do with the money, never quit school.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Paper TigerPaper Tiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would probably train and arm an African militia and try to get a cut of the blood diamond pie.

Or I would spend it all on lotto tickets. Just to see, you know.

Paper Tiger on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd buy, invent, or otherwise obtain a time machine so that I could go back and tell myself that just this once, buying a lottery ticket is a better investment than throwing money in the garbage.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd never quit school just because I suddenly had plenty of money. In fact, that's probably one of the things I'd do with the money, never quit school.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm coming from. Just start collecting degrees, and try to learn everything there is to know about everything.

Alternately, just get a couple PhD's and then teach.
    Or I would spend it all on lotto tickets. Just to see, you know.

This is a horrible, horrible idea.
    Vegas, baby! Vegas! They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm coming from. Just start collecting degrees, and try to learn everything there is to know about everything.

Alternately, just get a couple PhD's and then teach.

Degrees in everything that matters, then build a secret underground lair hidden beneath the grounds of my estate.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I was going to post this as well. There's a lot of stuff I would like to take with school.

Oh and I'd be buying all new camera equipment, but I wouldn't need millions for that.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    I’d be happy with any free money from a lottery. I mean, I don’t deserve the money regardless of quantity.

Hey, if you won the lottery you did earn the money. You paid a buck to play a game with terrible odds.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd also buy a used late-'90s Miata.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd move to Amsterdam, buy a small flat with a large kitchen, travel a lot, and dick about with computers and such.

That's about it really. I'd probably also hire a maid, or some such, to pick up a couple times a week and buy staples.

I'd probably buy Evo (probably around a 5 or so. Certainly not a X) and have a Sunbeam Tiger(technically a pimped Alpine with a body kit, really) built for me.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like "Bud" would have lost his money one way or another. Brother who wanted to kill him. relatives pestering him to invest and he capitulated....

With money like that, generosity is one thing, but being stupid enough to agree to invest every little scheme your relatives come up with is quite another.

I'd of course pay off my loans and get myself a nice house and car. I'd probably quit my job, but only to finish school find a career that focuses more on simple daily satisfaction than making money. I'd still want to work, but I probably wouldn't work IT anymore.

My worry is that i'm still single, and when I meet a woman, the whole going through the process of trying to determine if they really likes me or just want their share of the cash, like Bud's girlfriend.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Actually, if we take at face value what everyone's saying about slipping a few mil to close family and friends, every super-jackpot winner would mean a couple dozen 1-5m winners.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg