As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quitting smoking

GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've smoked for a little over two years, and I absolutely have hated (I don't hate other smokers though) myself because of it for a long time now and want to quit for a few reasons (money, asthma, bronchitis, etc). What is the easiest way to do this? I know it's gonna be hard to do, but I really want to stop. For the people who have quit, what did you do to help?

GiantRobo on

• Options
    MoopMoop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm actually in the same situation - except I've smoked for almost 6 years :/

In the last 2 weeks, I've gone from a pack a day to maybe 3 or 4 a day. You do NOT want to go cold-turkey- nicotine withdrawal can cause headaches that rival migraines in my experience. Unless you have an iron will, I would suggest doing what I did- cut back to start. Say you smoke ten cigs a day, normally. Ration out 5. Then 3. Then 2. Then 1. That's my plan.

Also, DON'T have that first cig of the day. Get your day started, and whenever you normally have your first cigarette, don't do it. Wait an hour or two. It has worked extremely well for me. The 'patch' and nicotine gum haven't worked for anyone I know that's tried them. The best way, by far, is simply to cut back on how many you smoke a day, until you go from one, to none.

Hope that helps, and btw- I love your avatar- Tool is my favorite band :D.

Moop on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The first thing is that you have to want to quit. Really want. If you only half-ass it, or feel like you should quit because of some exterior reason, sticking to it won't work.

My dad quit cold turkey. He was very motivated to quit and just stopped. I personally advise people to do it cold turkey, based on his recommendations about it. He usually tells people that "it sucks, but you really realize what your body is going through when you go through withdrawal. And when you're past that, it's smooth sailing."

He hasn't smoked in a couple decades, now. He actually tried a cigarette for New Years Eve a few years ago, and he became physically ill from it, mostly due to going through withdrawal, even if it was quite a while ago.

If you can't quit cold turkey, Moop's suggestion of skipping your first one each day, and gradually pushing it back more & more until you're essentially not smoking at all is good. You just have to keep doing it (as in, not get to 1-2 a day and think "ah, can't hurt to just smoke these few"). I've had friends who have tried gums, pills, etc., and they say that while they work, they're really only for people who feel like they should quit but don't really want to quit. The friends I've had who use them typically are in situations where they're with a girlfriend or boyfriend who still smokes and doesn't want to quit, or live with parents who smoke, etc. Going through withdrawal is hell for those people, since they're constantly around smokers who will happily give them a cig, so a patch/gum/pill helps them out a lot.

One of the longtime smokers at my job recently quit, by simply quitting cold turkey but keeping up the same habits. She just put her foot down and stopped, and didn't make a big deal out of it. So she still takes "smoke" breaks and hangs out with the smokers, just like old times. She just doesn't light up.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I usually don't go for the first cigarette of the day right away. I also find it ironic since I'm not too far from you. :P

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I quit cold turkey after about 5 years. EggyToast is right, if you can sort your mental attitude out the rest is comparatively easy. Unfortunately all the tricks and advice in the world can't help with that, you just have to sort your head out so that you aren't going to have one whatever happens.

Emphasis on whatever happens! Sooner or later something really monumentally shitty is going to happen in your life which will be the perfect excuse to have one.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    flerchinflerchin Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    I smoked more than a pack a day for about 5 years starting when I was 17. I quit cold turkey. I just stopped buying cigarettes, and stopped smoking the ones I had. I had the half pack that I hadn't smoked in my pocket for almost a year. If you don't want to smoke, stop buying cigarettes, and stop smoking them. You may feel miserable for a week or so, but it's certainly not worse than a mild cold. Deep cleansing breaths, without cigarettes, are still relaxing, and I sometimes find myself taking a deep breath in situations that used to make me want to smoke.

I would wish you good luck, but you don't need it, only mildly strong willpower.

flerchin on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    My buddy had to quit because between a pack of Luckies a day and working in a blacksmith shop 8 hours a day he got emphysema in no time flat. He hugely endorses the patch.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never smoked in my life but I hear these tooth picks work wonders. You might even enjoy them once you stop smoking.. I personally love them.

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=5311
    I used the Tea Tree Chewing Sticks to quit smoking. They really helped with the need for something intense, the oral fixation, and gave me something to do with my hands. And they made my breath smell really good. I have quit for 6 months and I still use them just because I like them. Good stuff.
    I've been using these Chewing Sticks for about 1 and a half months. Not only do they make my breath smell good, I also haven't smoked since I got them. I smoked for 12 years. I used lozenges for 1 week, then went to the Tea Tree chewing stick since. I use a lot of them, but it has taken away the habit part of smoking. Really has worked for me so far.

I have a few friends that smoke and dip and they use these when they're kind of shaky from not having a smoke, so I guess it does work. There's menthol, peppermint, spearmint, and cassia (cinnamon) in them. I would recommend the original flavor because the Cinnamon flavor can literally burn your lips, but if "Original" flavor isn't strong enough for you.. I guess the Cinnamon ones would be okay.

Definitely something to play with in your mouth instead of a cigarette.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Note that you don't have to give up the Nicotine to give up Smoking. Nicotine won't kill you (unless in an incredible toxic dose, equivalent to distilling several boxes worth of Nicotine Patches). The Smoking (and Dipping or Chewing Tobacco) will, from cancer, lung disease, etc.

The average smoker tries to quit over seven times before they finally succeed (this isn't scientific information... it's anecdotal based on one of my preceptor's experience, who did this for a living). Don't sweat it if you can't cut it out the first time. Also, one of the smoking cessation gurus that I know (he's a Psychiatrist/Internist who specializes in Addiction Medicine) recommends having two methods of nicotine dispensing at the same time: one for the nicotine over time (patch) and one for an oral fixation (gum or inhaler). Go with the largest dose (21mg, I believe) right off the bat, if you are using Nicotine products.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One word of advice: Chantix. The stuff is awesome. I smoked for 4 years and was able to quit (painlessly) in a week. You can only get it by prescription though. Its also like 80-some odd dollars, but compare that with how much it costs to smoke a month.

http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp?setShowOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&source=google&HBX_PK=s_chantix&HBX_OU=50&o=%25epid!|%25eaid!|%

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Definitely follow advice about cutting back. The trick is to stop associating smoking with certain activities that you normally smoke during. For example, break times at work, or after meals.

Cut back smoking to the point where you can go a whole day without having a smoke. Then, just stop buying them at all.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The willpower thing can turn against you. You might find yourself focusing so much on not smoking that you cave, because regardless of the intent, you're still thinking about smoking. The trick is to not think of it at all, which sounds like a tall order, but as time passes it definetly gets easier.

Another thing to avoid is reward-based behaviour. If you find yourself saying "I've been so good, I deserve just one," then you're only prolonging the struggle. Ultimately, such prolonging either makes the struggle more difficult over the long run, or it sinks you right back into a regular habit.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    contagious_dcontagious_d Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I smoked around a pack a day for 8 years. I didn't have the willpower to pull off cold turkey, so I used the nicotine lozenge, which I was then hooked on for like 7 months. I don't know, nicotine withdrawals suck, just try to get it over with as fast as you can. Oh, and pushing back the first cigarette of the morning definitely helps.

contagious_d on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I quit smoking this summer actually after 10 years of smoking. I didn't smoke that much (a pack a week) but it was still hard. I tried doing cold turkey but I always found myself going back after a few weeks. I live in NYC so the city has a program going on that you can call and get help for quitting smoking. I called and answered a few questions and they sent me the full nicotine patch program for free! I've been smoke free for 3 months now, with a slip up here and there sometimes when I drink but i'm always back on the wagon right after. I don't have the urge to buy cigarettes, i now HATE the smell of my cloths when i come from a smokey bar and with my extra money i'm saving i'm buying myself a 360 round x-mas time!

Not only do you have to want to quit smoking but you need support from those around you. My roommates were great about helping me quit and my girlfriend was there for me when i was irritable. Throw away the pack you have, toss your ash trays, anything that reminds you of smoking. It'll be worth it in the end.

reddog on
    reddog.png