Options

EA buys Bioware and Pandemic

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Mass Effect: Seasons
    MAss Effect: Nightlife
    Mass Effect: Bon Galaxage

You know they're already in development.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »
    In other news, Mass Effect has been pushed back to Christmas '08
    When asked for comment, a spokesperson for the software giant said "This is not only the best method to increase Mass Effect's quality, but also allows us to better implement our existing EA brands and characters into the title in an appropriate and respectful fashion."

I'm afraid to ask but... this is a joke quote, right?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mass Effect is now a completely linear experience.
    All the other pathways and story choices are downloadable extras you pay for.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FUCKING HELL NO

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When asked for comment, a spokesperson for the software giant said "This is not only the best method to increase Mass Effect's quality, but also allows us to better implement our existing EA brands and characters into the title in an appropriate and respectful fashion."

Tell me that was a fucking joke.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Is that a joke? If not
    Translation: We are going to anally rape this game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ouch. This actually caused physical pain to read.
    Wohoooooo

KOTOR 24 confirmed!
    Ha, funny.

Henroid on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Of course it was a joke.

A SCARY JOKE

Greeper on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I predict we'll see no fewer than five new Baldur's Gate games in the next two or three years.

As long as one of them is as good as any of the previous releases I'll be fine with it.
    When was the last game released by anyone that was as good as BGI or II?

Khavall on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Is that a joke? If not

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/826/826469p1.html
    I've never done this before, but it is so thoroughly worth it.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Is that a joke? If not

Ha. I always read the site address.

Couscous on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    I predict we'll see no fewer than five new Baldur's Gate games in the next two or three years.

As long as one of them is as good as any of the previous releases I'll be fine with it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I flinched like I was about to get hit by a baseball when I read this.

Hoz on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Is that a joke? If not

Read the link before clicking. You're not nice. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EAt EAt EAt! At least Mass Effect will be on shelves before Bioware gets eaten. :P
    At what point did EA become The Blob? :x

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

In its genre, there hasn't been any, especially not by Bioware, which is what makes me not care all that much about this news.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

Is that a joke? If not

Read the link before clicking. You're not nice. :P

I always win at Balderdash for that very reason.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    "We are truly excited by John Riccitiello's new vision for EA," said Ray Muzyka, Co-founder and CEO of BioWare Corp. "This vision is consistent with BioWare's focus on crafting the highest quality story-driven games in the world. It will enable us to further the careers of the passionate, creative and hard working teams at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin."

How will this affect the Sonic RPG?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    This is terrible news. EA ALWAYS interferes with the companies it buys, reshuffling, reorganizing, and renaming them.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!

There is no smiley with enough of a frown for this. D:

Ender on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why did it get so cold all of a sudden? I feel as if the life is leaving me, my favorite developer getting fucked up the ass. This is a dark day indeed.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    EA Bioware will probably be their new name.

Or EA WeOnceMadeGoodGames.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    EAt EAt EAt!
    Offtopic, insider knowledge, but the cafeteria at EA Canada was called the EAt. It was probably the greatest cafeteria in the world.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    This is terrible news. EA ALWAYS interferes with the companies it buys, reshuffling, reorganizing, and renaming them.

I figure Bioware Edmonton will be gone within the year so that EA can "Synergize core creative talent by maximizing physical proximity of developer paradigms", or some such suck

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey you guys, EA's CEO since April is the guy that was CEO of the company that used to own BioWare, Elevation Partners.

He's also the one that started EA Partners, which publishes games made by independent developers with minimal interference in the development process. They're the ones publishing Rock Band and Mercenaries 2.

He's also been quoted as saying that EA needs a lot more innovation than they've displayed in the past and needs to break its cycle of constant sequels.

So maybe it's not so bad. Okay?

No, you probably don't think it is. Let's all keep shouting and crying.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    thetheroo wrote: »
    Why did it get so cold all of a sudden? I feel as if the life is leaving me, my favorite developer getting fucked up the ass. This is a dark day indeed.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of gamers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced...

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

I figure Bioware Edmonton will be gone within the year so that EA can "Synergize core creative talent by aximizing physical proximity of developer paradigms", or some such suck

I'd call that 50/50. Sucks to; they're the only developer in Edmonton, and are considered one of the best places to work (apparently there's some metric for this.. somehow I doubt they checked on Bioware during a crunch) :|

Hell, they're constantly asking for testers, which I was hoping to look into. That'll be gone.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Hey you guys, EA's CEO since April is the guy that was CEO of the company that used to own BioWare, Elevation Partners.

He's also the one that started EA Partners, which publishes games made by independent developers with minimal interference in the development process. They're the ones publishing Rock Band and Mercenaries 2.

He's also been quoted as saying that EA needs a lot more innovation than they've displayed in the past and needs to break its cycle of constant sequels.

Life is more of a pleasant surprise if you prepare for the worst case scenario.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I sort of got the feeling that EA hasn't been so bad in the past year.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's so bad.

It's so baaaad.

Greeper on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I sort of got the feeling that EA hasn't been so bad in the past year.

I have to admit I was pretty happy with skate and fight night, but damn, just look at the track record.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yeah, saying it and earning it are two different things.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Life is more of a pleasant surprise if you prepare for the worst case scenario.

Yeah, why set any sort of expectations aside from negative ones? You'll only go up or end up not surprised.

Henroid on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

And to be fair it has appeared that his efforts have been paying off. EA has quite a few games coming out that i'm actually interested in, and has had a couple of games come out already this year that i was pleasantly surprised with. Personally it's been obvious there's been a paradigm shift going on.

it might not be to the magnitude it would need to be to make EA not such a shit house anymore, but we'll see.

i doubt bioware would've sold to them unless they had good reason (aside from money), otherwise they would have sold to MS (and given how MS released bungie, it shows MS's willingness to not hold so tight).

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    thetheroo wrote: »

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of gamers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced...

Excatly the comic I was thinking about.
    20060730.jpg

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bioware Austin JUST got established. Now those guys are dead in the water in less than a year after EA comes in and forces them to move to LA or find another job.

...that's TWO major studios in Austin that have been screwed by EA now.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    <snip>

Innovation? You mean coming out with the same game every year is bad? I *like* "Madden 2009", "NHL 2009", "OLOL Exclusive Sports Title 2009". Don't you?

Anyone remember the days back when "Origin created worlds"? I do, and they stopped doing that right after EA bought them. :(

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    j0hnz3r wrote: »
    Bioware Austin JUST got established. Now those guys are dead in the water in less than a year after EA comes in and forces them to move to LA or find another job.

...that's TWO major studios in Austin that have been screwed by EA now.

Yep, EA did the same exact thing to Westwood Studios in Las Vegas. They were given the choice to move into the developer slave pens over in LA or leave the company.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOO

CJTheran on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    And to be fair it has appeared that his efforts have been paying off. EA has quite a few games coming out that i'm actually interested in, and has had a couple of games come out already this year that i was pleasantly surprised with. Personally it's been obvious there's been a paradigm shift going on.

it might not be to the magnitude it would need to be to make EA not such a shit house anymore, but we'll see.

i doubt bioware would've sold to them unless they had good reason (aside from money), otherwise they would have sold to MS (and given how MS released bungie, it shows MS's willingness to not hold so tight).
    For the life of me, I can't think of a game that EA developed in-house and released recently that has been good. And by good, I mean the quality of games that we're used to getting from Bioware. Not "oh this rehash isn't too bad" type of good.

Hoz on