As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sci-Fi (and maybe Fantasy) book recommendations

TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So my job has a lot of downtime. Well, not as much at the moment as it did but suffice to say I ran through a LOT of books over the summer and am out of ideas. Currently interested in the science fiction side of sci-fi/fantasy but won't reject other genres.

The main requirement is they have to be "easy" to read, in that there are times I may only get to read two or three pages before having to put the book down for an hour, which has left me stumped.

To give an idea of what I've already gone through, I've read quite a bit of Star Wars and Eberron stuff over the summer, blew through all the Halo novels and just finished the first Mass Effect book. Currently re-reading my Neil Gaiman stuff, but almost done there.

What I am mainly looking for is stuff that doesn't belong to an established series like the ones I listed above (unless it is SPECTACULAR), as I'm wanting to broaden my horizons a little bit.

Note, I have nothing against harder reads [especially since they tend to be better/more rewarding!] and have several things in that category lying around/on my wish list :).

Tomanta on

• Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    any of the Robot series by Isaac Asimov.

i haven't read any of the Foundation series, but they're suppose to be good as well

standard Ender series (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind) and Bean series (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant) by Orson Scott Card.

i'd recommend a lot of Heinlein to you, but i think you're looking for sci-fi as opposed to science fiction, the difference being that science fiction usually deals with serious aspects, so the subject matter is rooted in religion, society, humanity, philosophy, politics, etc.

Isaac Asimov, of course, is going to be in the science fiction side of things, but they're easy reads, and entertaining, even if you don't look for anything deeper.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the Gentlemens Bastard Sequence: the Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas over Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Acts of Caine: Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Stover

A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones, a Clash of kings, a storm of swords, and A feast for Crows by George RR Martin

Malaazan Books of the Fallen by Steve Erikson (theres a lot of these books)

Thats for fantasy

For sci-fi

Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan

Otherland by Ted Williams

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would like to suggest anything by Larry Niven. I personally love his work, its sci-fi.

John Varley's Red Thunder is a pretty great read.

Ill second the Ender series.

If you're reading Gaiman's stuff, then give Good Omens a try if you havent allready.

After that I would say try one of the Discworld books. Good Omens is by Gaiman and Terry Pratchet, and the Discworld series is Pratchet's claim to fame. Its a series, but it isnt really connected. There is a general time line and the characters are generally the same, but the order isnt really important.

Hmmm.... I think thats about all Ive got right now. But those are some of my favorites.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've done Ender and Song of Ice and Fire already, and Good Omens (just so people don't keep repeating them, although they DO bear repeating).

Hmm, I have a Phillip K. Dick short story collection lying around that I haven't read much of. May track that down to get me by until I can look into some of these suggestions (keep 'em coming!).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Isaac Asimov's Complete Short Stories vol. 1. It's a lot of little stories which can read pretty fast, and it's Asimov, so...
    Wikipedia link What I'm talking about is that 2001 republishing of the first edition mentioned in the wiki.

Treason, by Orson Scott Card. Pretty awesome if: a) You like the idea of superpowers, b) you like Card talking about relationships between varying countries, and c) you like a crazy sci-fi background to put it all in perspective.

Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, both by Peter Hamilton. Hardcore space operas, ~1000 pages each, with a fuckton of detail about exactly how the future as presented in the books works. Good if you like really long stories that come to a singular event at the end and like the idea of wormholes/galactic expansion.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    Sgt. McDuckSgt. McDuck Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    For Sci-Fi, The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card is pretty good. Kinda like Foundation.

Sgt. McDuck on
    I eat children.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Seriously. Heroes Die. One of my all time favorite books ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vernor Vinge.

Probably my most favourite sci-fi author.

Check out the two books: A Fire in the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    Cowboy BebopCowboy Bebop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The ‘Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy’ books are a good read if you like sci-fi comedy and ‘Snow Crash’ is a interesting fact paced read.

Cowboy Bebop on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a lot of free time between classes, and since I usually hang out near the bookstore, when I need something to do I usually go in and buy one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. They're more of a shared setting than a tight series, so you can read them in almost any order, they're all good, and there's an assload of them.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any Pratchett, and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, for fantasy. Adams, Asimov, and Heinlein for Sci-fi.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll chime in for Pratchett as well. They're light reads without feeling like they've been dumbed down. I think they'd be ideal for reading a few pages at a time.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Stephen Baxter and Peter F. Hamilton are two of my favorite sci-fi authors right now. Pretty much anything by them is top notch.

You mentioned you want stuff to be read in short bursts. The Truth Machine and The First Immortal both by James Halperin are perfect for this. They're not great sci-fi by any stretch of the immagination, but they're entertaining fluff that can be read a few pages at a time.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    here's a big old thread you might be interested in

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll repeat pratchet, and the hitchhikers guide books, also if you're at all interested in mass effect the prequel book may be ideal, it's really light can be dipped in and out of and still manages to be an aceptable read.

RMH03 on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber are really good. His writing style is really easy to get into and very entertaining. The story is great, with lots of cool stuff going on. Easily my favorite fantasy series.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    RMH03 wrote: »
    I'll repeat pratchet, and the hitchhikers guide books, also if you're at all interested in mass effect the prequel book may be ideal, it's really light can be dipped in and out of and still manages to be an aceptable read.

He already read the Mass Effect book.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RMH03RMH03 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RMH03 wrote: »

He already read the Mass Effect book.

well maybee he should have said that then.

oh wait he did?

well maybee i should read then.

RMH03 on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Read the Dune series. As long as you're okay with recalling names you should be fine only reading a few pages at a time, and they're just such wonderful books.

Stay away from the prequels, though. Truly awful books.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    For sci-fi

Otherland by Ted Williams

Tad Williams not Ted Williams. His fantasy series Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is really good.

Beazle on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... This book actually made me laugh outloud while reading it... I read it during High School so I got a few odd looks for it, but totalyl awesome...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Picked up a few today and will probably Amazon some more :).

Hitchikers and Dune I've already read as well... including a couple the prequels. And yes, they are awful, but one should expect no more from Kevin J. Anderson.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gene Wolfe, Shadow and Claw and Sword and Citadel, collectively the Book of the New Sun. This is a deep series; be prepared to read it twice (or more) and still miss many of the allusions and symbolism.

syrion on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Picked up a few today and will probably Amazon some more :).

Hitchikers and Dune I've already read as well... including a couple the prequels. And yes, they are awful, but one should expect no more from Kevin J. Anderson.

Are two of these Heroes Die and the Lies of Locke Lamora?

This is important dammit.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Are two of these Heroes Die and the Lies of Locke Lamora?

This is important dammit.

Lies of Locke Lamora, yes. Hastings didn't have Heroes Die that I could find. I like Stover's Star Wars books, though, so I'm definitely going to check that one out.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy.

If you've read and enjoyed any cyberpunk or dystopian future SF, you'll really dig these. And if you haven't read any cyberpunk, go buy Neuromancer and the Bridge trilogy. NOW.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and besides Gene Wolfe, if you're interested in some lighter reading you might enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. There are a lot of these, and honestly the first couple are not that great (they were Bujold's first books); start out, perhaps, with the short story collection Borders of Infinity. If you've read any of George R.R. Martin's stuff, Miles Vorkosigan is sort of like a space-Tyrion.

That said, Gene Wolfe is the best. Last night I was at a bookstore and read a short story of his out of one of those "Year's Best Fantasy & Horror" books, and--wow. It was one of the creepiest stories I've ever read.

syrion on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am always disappointed in these threads all around the Interwebs because I always have to be the first one to mention DAN "FUCKING" SIMMONS.

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are just about the awesomest fantasy with bolts on books I've ever read, and the two books that complement the series (Endymion/Rise of Endymion) are okay, too.

Then there's Ilium/Olympos which is another 1500+ pages of totally sweet, epic without the whole having to stretch our talents to 12000 pages like Robert Jordan did before dying without bringing the whole thing to a conclusion.

Seriously, Dan Simmons, he's awesome.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Look for Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" series. Very quick, easy, pulpy, and very fun. They're about a thief in the future who is so good he must become the hunter when he finally gets captured.

It's all extremely silly stuff, but just serious enough that you care to see him make his way out of some horrifying jam.

Also, there is a book in the series that has coal-powered robots.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.