As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hypochondia or Imminent and Gruesome Death?

sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I appear to be sick, but the only symptoms I have are headache and fever. No cough, no body aches, not really tired, no pain anywhere, no rashes, no stiffness -- nothing.

That sort of worries me, because if it were a respiratory infection presumably it would make me cough a lot (generally when I get a cold/flu I am coughing like a motherfucker for weeks, even after I feel totally well, I still cough.).

The fever/headache go away shortly after taking two ibuprofen, and it stays gone for about 8-10 hours, maybe 12.

I feel essentially healthy -- the headache and fever are unpleasant, but I just don't have that "sick" feeling.

Should I go to the doctor, or am I being a hypochondriac?

sdrawkcaB emaN on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How long has it been going on for?
    Do you have any other symptoms? Light sensitivity, for instance? Any stiffness in your neck? Do you feel any unusual pain or discomfort if you tilt your head forward? Any rash?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Do you have any other symptoms? Light sensitivity, for instance? Any stiffness in your neck? Do you feel any unusual pain or discomfort if you tilt your head forward? Any rash?

No to all.

I mean, literally, fever and headache are the only symptoms. I still have my appetite, even.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »

No to all.

I mean, literally, fever and headache are the only symptoms. I still have my appetite, even.

That's good. That means it's probably not meningitis.
    You may laugh but there are outbreaks of meningitis in college dormitories all the time.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited October 2007

No to all.

That's good. That means it's probably not meningitis.
    You may laugh but there are outbreaks of meningitis in college dormitories all the time.

No, meningitis was actually exactly what I was worried about.

It started yesterday about midday, I think.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Eh, a day and a half probably isn't much to worry about.
    I mean, it still could be something serious, or it could just as easily be a mild case of the flu.
    If it were me, I'd just take ibuprofen, drink plenty of fluids, and get plenty of sleep. If it gets any worse, though - if your fever goes over 104F, if you start having sensitivity to light, stiffness in your neck, discomfort tilting your head forward, a rash, or any other unusual/exotic symptoms - get to a doctor ASAP.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2007

Eh, a day and a half probably isn't much to worry about.
    I mean, it still could be something serious, or it could just as easily be a mild case of the flu.
    If it were me, I'd just take ibuprofen, drink plenty of fluids, and get plenty of sleep. If it gets any worse, though - if your fever goes over 104F, if you start having sensitivity to light, stiffness in your neck, discomfort tilting your head forward, a rash, or any other unusual/exotic symptoms - get to a doctor ASAP.

Alright, sounds good.

sdrawkcaB emaN on