As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - PostApoc Advance Wars!

MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, so a post apocalyptic TBS of Advance Wars. I LIKE this. I definitely like this.
So a bunch of meteors ruins War World's shit and killed almost everyone. What is left is a MadMax style war society surrounded by death, destruction, and all the shit that makes this fun.
Honestly, the happy characters of previous AW always pissed me off. I didn't finish Dual Strike because of them.
Thoughts?
http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-ds/advance-wars-days-of-ruin-hands-on-impressions-310918.php
awdor_leadin.jpg
Intelligent Systems has reinvented Advance Wars. They're stripped it to the bone, giving it a mature bent that borders now on dark, brooding and violent. Gone are long-standing Commanding Officers Andy, Sami, Max, and Eagle. Gone are Orange Star and Blue Moon. Gone are a series of precocious teens and sassy officers in capri pants ordering thousands of units to their doom, ultimately ending in a root beer party commemorating the dead. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a post-apocalyptic war game that is expected to get a T-rating, so leave your soda at the door.

The story of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is one of a world in chaos following a cataclysmic meteor storm that leaves 90 percent of the population dead. The scattered survivors live in a diseased, war-torn world controlled by roving bandits and power-hungry warlords. The tone is muted, the dialogue dreary, the characters devoid of smiles.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin also takes the series back a step, gameplay-wise. The Dual Strike CO powers from the previous Nintendo DS Advance Wars are gone, and CO powers in general are said to have been toned down. The tides of war won't turn so easily this time.

Also absent from Advance Wars: Days of Ruin are dual screen battles, with maps and information occupying the top, gameplay shown in the bottom.

Days of Ruin does add some new units to the series, though, bringing a Motorbike unit to the list of infantry units. Motorbikes can capture buildings and factories like other infantry, but they have better range and better firepower. A new Flare unit, incapable of attacks also joins the ranks, cutting through the fog of war—now a permanent dust cloud kicked up by meteorites. The Duster, a new air unit that wasn't available for hands-on play is also promised for the final version.

Actually playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is much speedier than its Nintendo DS predecessor. The team has refined the interface so issuing orders takes fewer steps, resulting in quicker battles. The game's assets have been completely redone, giving the maps and enactments of your firefights a new look.

While our play time with Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was limited to only a trio of chapters, we were introduced to many of the game's characters. Leading man Will replaces Andy and Jake, with tactician Lin, a morose female officer, his companion. Captain Brenner, a "grizzled war veteran", leads the Independent Legion to which Will and Lin belong.

Most of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin's gameplay remains tried and true, it's simply boiled down to the core formula. Players of previous Advance Wars games may initially be unsettled by the frequent references to murder, pillaging and destruction—there's even a line from a barbarian named The Beast who wants more ears to add to his ear necklace—but the storyline feels more engaging than the light-hearted fare of games past.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin boasts a feature set that should have fans excited. Wi-fi multiplayer battles over the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection are finally here, bringing voice chat with them. Also coming is the tentatively titled Map Center making map creation and sharing a worldwide affair. Players can take their map designs, upload them, and rate and download others via the Map Center adding hundreds of maps to the 170 already included.

It may be a big change, but Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a welcome addition to the series and one that should breathe new life into the game.

steam_sig.png
Machismo on

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seriously want this so much that I'm posting my love for it twice.
    This sounds so so good, holy crap.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    um, what.

what?

WHAT?

Please tell me this is a joke.

PLEASE.
    WHAT?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Looking forward to it.

A feature I'd really like to see? In a game about running a postapocalyptic war gang, make recruiting and supply recovery a key part. It won't be, but it would fit.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    um, what.

what?

WHAT?

PLEASE.
    WHAT?

Your avatar works well for you.

Sir, these changes are a good thing. Only if you could pillage captured bases yourself, could it be better.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It looks like they just took a shit all over their unique artistic style.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is so bought

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sounds awesome.

And yay for simplifying the game. I always thought DS was too cluttered with shit, the dual screen battles, the double CO powers, it was all just too much. I am liking these changes.

Duki on
  • Options
    SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is a definate buy.

Skulk on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmmm... there's those "II"s and "A"s in the bottom left of some of the icons. That's normally where the "loaded" icon is for a transport, but these units look to be tanks and/or rockets.

So either more units can carry troops, or there are some promotions or other enhancements available for some units.

I'm not sure about the thematic change here. However, if the gameplay is at all like its predecessors you could brand it as "Advance Wars: Fighting Fish with the Little Mermaid" and I'd still buy it.

rattletrap on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would of carried on playing Advance Wars DS but the dual strike tag team moves completley piss me off. I don't know why I still own the game actually.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Machismo wrote: »
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin also takes the series back a step, gameplay-wise. The Dual Strike CO powers from the previous Nintendo DS Advance Wars are gone, and CO powers in general are said to have been toned down. The tides of war won't turn so easily this time.
    To be honest I'm glad they've ditched the tag powers. It was getting a bit ridiculous.

I don't really care for the presentation as long as it's somewhat balanced. Your loss.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, even Nintendo themselves are going against "teh kiddiez" shit now. What has the world come to?!

New Advance Wars anything makes me happy.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Should we merge this and the Battalion Wars thread, or keep them seperete?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Any word on a release date?

bruin on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    um, what.

what?

WHAT?

PLEASE.
    WHAT?

Your avatar works well for you.

Sir, these changes are a good thing. Only if you could pillage captured bases yourself, could it be better.

Speaking of avatars... Your name fits yours so well.

OT: Oh shit! Advance Wars AND Post-Apocalyptic setting?! SOLD!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I think I read early 2008 somewhere, probably IGN or 1Up. It's really not early enough though.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I always pretty much ignored the storyline anyway...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game may contain "adult situations"!?

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ear necklaces may not be kid friendly.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not a huge fan of the changed art style, but damn do I love post-apocalyptic ass-kicking.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The story of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is one of a world in chaos following a cataclysmic meteor storm that leaves 90 percent of the population dead. The scattered survivors live in a diseased, war-torn world controlled by roving bandits and power-hungry warlords. The tone is muted, the dialogue dreary, the characters devoid of smiles.

This?

This in a Nintendo game?

Next they'll be announcing a post-apocalyptic Pikmin game set on a demon-infested Mars colony.

(actually I'd buy that)

Anyway, the gameplay changes sound pretty good. I always disliked the "Add more shit!" philosophy of the AW sequels. The simplicity and elegance of the first game was what made it so great.... hopefully by cutting out the crap the series can return to that

Tig on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Look at the heavy tank makes me happy. This is going to be one definite buy.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »

January.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a post-apocalyptic war game that is expected to get a T-rating, so leave your soda at the door.
    Fuck that! I will drink cream soda while my enemies choke on the dust of my armored war machine.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a post-apocalyptic war game that is expected to get a T-rating, so leave your soda at the door.
    Fuck that! I will drink cream soda while my enemies choke on the dust of my armored war machine.

Careful! That cream soda glows in the dark (like a 40 Watt light bulb!)

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't really like the unit design on the maps. I think the battle sprites are awesome though. I love how the ship explodes into bits when it sinks. Also I like how they got rid of the damn jumping animation for capturing properties. That drove me crazy having to watch that every single time.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Good and bad.

Bad: New style ... blegh. Its not very good.

Good: Its Advance Wars, so it can't have bad gameplay.

I'm going to buy it, but I doubt it'll ever beat out AWDS.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I really want Ninty to just start making horrible grisly games that involve terrible things, but keeping their advertising campaign with 12 year old kids grinning and laughing while flicking the wiimote while Mr. Mcdeath murders a puppy.

That would rock so hard.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Advanced Wars: Warrior Within.

Expect the CO's to call people bitches and for the female CO's to wear leather thongs and bras and nothing else.

Awesome.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I hate the style, but goddamnit it has WiFi capability so I'm happy.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fishguy wrote: »
    I don't really like the unit design on the maps. I think the battle sprites are awesome though. I love how the ship explodes into bits when it sinks. Also I like how they got rid of the damn jumping animation for capturing properties. That drove me crazy having to watch that every single time.

Hmmm... I just saw the trailer, and came back with the opposite opinion on everything.
    Map screen art: nice and tidy. Battle sprites: not good. The ship exploding was cool, but overall I think it looks kinda blurry and charmless.

And seriously, how many shades of grey did they manage to cram into that menu screen?

I'm keeping an open mind- but at the moment, I can't see myself warming very much to this vision of AW.
    And I loved the jumping animation for capturing properties. :(

Tig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, the style is all gone and in its place is trite trash. Hopefully, the typically stellar gameplay and capability to play over the WFC will make up for it.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Will buy it, but dammit, i'm not happy, I want to mix more phat beats with Andy.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    Yeah, the style is all gone and in its place is trite trash. Hopefully, the typically stellar gameplay and capability to play over the WFC will make up for it.

oh, and pray the music is up to par with the previous parts of the series

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Good that style sucked anyway. There is not a single part of this announcement that I'm disappointed with.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why the fuck are they even calling this Advance Wars? Advance Wars is happy and awesome and exploding cannons of culinary delight. You know what this reminds me of? That wretched Bomberman game they did for the Xbox where it was all XTREME and dark and shit. Emphasis on shit.

I like Advance Wars and I love me some post-apocalyptic worlds but I don't like them together. :(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man what?

I'm all for shaking up the formula. But doing it by saying "One day, meteors hit and destroyed 90% of the world, making the survivors very emo and angst ridden" is a pretty retarded way of doing it. This really is Advance Wars: Warriors Within.

Now with that said, they're sure to do a decent job with it. And it is Advance Wars. But yeesh. Show some pride, Nintendo.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Good that style sucked anyway. There is not a single part of this announcement that I'm disappointed with.

I prefer the cheerfully annoying to the atrociously "extreme" and mundane.

I'll take Jake over Shadow the Hedgehog anyday.

And you have no taste if you're refering to the art style. There is no question the art style of the previous game is better than this one. (Im referring to the design of the COs and such.)

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ugh, the art sucks now, and it looks like the same old advance war gameplay. No reason to pick it up.

Inquisitor on