As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Embedded Content!

DusdaDusda is ashamed of this postSLC, UTRegistered User regular
Now I understand the potential problems this could bring (imagining the SE++ Youtube thread makes me wince a little), but would it be entirely out of the question to consider allowing users to embed YouTube/Justin.tv/etc content in their posts? Yes, one could just link to the video and all that, but it would be pretty cool to see G&T ops with game trailers displayed alongside screenshots. Embedding streaming content is seen everywhere else on the web except forums for some reason, so why not allow it?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
Dusda on

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    I've seen youTube tags on a couple forums. Basically implemented by

which is then converted to:
    <center><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEOID"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEOID" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></center>

Or something similar. It doesn't preload under any of the main browsers unless you actually click on it, so doesn't adversely affect page loading any more than normal image stuff and unless I'm missing something in the way BBCode normally parses to avoid people attempting to play havoc, even fucking stuff up with it just creates a garbage youTube video link that just spawns their default 'error' video box.

Aroduc on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't give the actual implementation much thought. That would be incredibly simple to do.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    The thing there is that it only works for youTube and nowhere else. Which... isn't really much of an issue for the most part I suppose, but *shrug* You'd have to make new tags for each content site that you wanted to support.

Aroduc on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh sweet, let's make more 56k unfriendly threads! Awesome!

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Err...
    Aroduc wrote: »
    ... It doesn't preload under any of the main browsers unless you actually click on it, so doesn't adversely affect page loading any more than normal image stuff ...
    Or was the problem the idea of random video threads as well as random picture threads?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Err...
    ... It doesn't preload under any of the main browsers unless you actually click on it, so doesn't adversely affect page loading any more than normal image stuff ...
    Or was the problem the idea of random video threads as well as random picture threads?

Here.
    http://seiha.org/blerg.html

Over a gig worth of videos embedded in a page. Let me know how long that takes to load.

Aroduc on
    edited October 2007
    Here.
    http://seiha.org/blerg.html

Over a gig worth of videos embedded in a page. Let me know how long that takes to load.
    According to FasterFox, 0.922 seconds, and I don't even have it set to maximum.
    Or did you mean to stream all the video content? Because that would be no different than a page full of links to youtube pages only not as coherent.

Mr_Rose on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    My point was that embedding videos is no more bandwidth intensive than embedding pictures, which many threads are flooded with anyway.

Aroduc on
    edited October 2007
    My point was that embedding videos is no more bandwidth intensive than embedding pictures, which many threads are flooded with anyway.
    And I was agreeing with you?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what I was doing...

Mr_Rose on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, FINE!
    Let's make out.

Aroduc on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    And I was agreeing with you?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what I was doing...

If this is the case, I retract the earlier sarcasm.
    Three-way?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman