As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Song of Ice and Fire: HBO TV Series!

• Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Stephen Seagal as Robert Baratheon. Period.

Even under the assumption that Stephen Segal can actually act he wouldn't be a good Stannis. I just can't see how Segal would even remotely fit in to a character like Stannis, the difference between who Segal is versus who Stannis is is simply to vast. And when you consider Segal's talent...or lack of...in acting then the odds that he would make a good Stannis pretty miniscule.

defrag wrote: »
    I've honestly stopped caring about this series. After the lackluster Crows, and the who-knows-how-long-we'll-have-to wait for Dragons, I really could wait until the next book comes out in paperback and not give a fuck.

Crows was a good book, it was just as well written as the others. I suppose that most people dislike it because of the cast of characters it follows, or more specifically, the cast it doesn't follow. But even then what' so bad about it? None of the characters are really 'bad' most of them are actually good, with the exception of Brienne who is boring as a character but who's story has a good setting. But whatever, argument for another time.

EDIT:
    Here's a few decent pictures of Stannis, can anyone think of an actor that looks similar and has the talent to pull off the role?
    agot_stannis_baratheon.jpg
    Stannis_Baratheon.jpg

That first picture makes me think of a more built Kevin Spacey. It's a hard archetype to find, because he's bald, but still strong and dignified. Most bald actors just have a pathetic vibe about them that makes them ill-suited for the role.

And, for the record, I only said Segal because of his body type. I know he can't act for shit.

Edit: That second picture can't be Stannis. Way too much hair and a little too youthful.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It is. It's in the ASoIaF artbook. Great art, but it looks like some of the artists haven't read the descriptions properly. There's a really beautiful one where Jon Snow is perched on top of an icy ridge along with Ghost... who looks like a direCAT of some sort.

The best Stannis picture is probably from the cover itself. Can't really find a huge version, though.
    0553108034_01_martin.gif

clash_of_kings.jpg

Also fairly decent.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    It is. It's in the ASoIaF artbook. Great art, but it looks like some of the artists haven't read the descriptions properly. There's a really beautiful one where Jon Snow is perched on top of an icy ridge along with Ghost... who looks like a direCAT of some sort.

The best Stannis picture is probably from the cover itself. Can't really find a huge version, though.
    0553108034_01_martin.gif

clash_of_kings.jpg

Also fairly decent.
    Wait, weren't Stannis and Renly mounted in that scene? And I think it was a small meeting, the people involved only brought trusted guards, not their entire army. But still, it's decent enough to get an idea of what Stannis looks like.

And I was thinking the exact same thing about the second picture I linked but it IS Stannis, regardless of the hair. But it is a high quality image none the less.

EDIT:
    This is what Tyrion is supposed to sound like apparently. I always pictured a deeper more english accent myself. Speaking of which, who would be a good actor for Tyrion? I'd prefer it if it weren't an actual midget, since I have this terrible inability to take most of them seriously. MAinly due to the fact that in movies they are always around for comedy relief. I think the only midget actor I've seen that played a role that was actually somewhat respectable was in the show Threshhold. But he was American anyway. In anycase, I'd like to see something closer to the Dwarves in LotR. Deep voiced bearded, regular sized people made short by the computer and camera tricks.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    skimbleshanksskimbleshanks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    someone at the official forums transcribed GRRM's appearance in second life if anyone is interested

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=19405

skimbleshanks on
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    -Lao-tzu
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    EDIT:
    This is what Tyrion is supposed to sound like apparently. I always pictured a deeper more english accent myself. Speaking of which, who would be a good actor for Tyrion? I'd prefer it if it weren't an actual midget, since I have this terrible inability to take most of them seriously. MAinly due to the fact that in movies they are always around for comedy relief. I think the only midget actor I've seen that played a role that was actually somewhat respectable was in the show Threshhold. But he was American anyway. In anycase, I'd like to see something closer to the Dwarves in LotR. Deep voiced bearded, regular sized people made short by the computer and camera tricks.

I actually think they should use a midget (or little people, I don't know what's PC, sorry), mostly because Tyrion is supposed to be an unpleasant, pathetic little shell of a man. And also because I honestly think the "munchkins lol" whole comic relief thing has gotten way out of hand. I would love to see a little person take on a serious role, and there is practically no better way to do it than with Tyrion.

Although it's not like I would object to using a normal-sized person. They can do wonders with computers, so it'd probably look similar, and they would probably have to apply copious amounts of makeup in any case.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The dwarves in LotR are not ugly and odd looking like Tyrion is supposed to look. With dwarfs, their body parts supposed to be disproportionate like the body parts of normal humans.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yea, my issue with using a dwarf is I don't know of any dwarves that have enough real acting experience. Tyrion is a complex character and has to go from obviously evil to not and that's in the first bloody book. Nevermind where he'll be when this whole thing wraps up.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I always thought the guy from Seinfeld and Nip/Tuck (one of the weirdest storylines ever) fit what I imagined Tyrion to look like.

Sure, not ugly enough, but that's what makeup is for. And he's a good actor.

Edit: Okay, bad link. But that only resulted in me finding this significantly more apt picture:

peterdinklage_175.jpg

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He looks bad ass. Not ugly enough for Tyrion but that's fixable provided he can act.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    How about the dude who played in "Willow" all those years back?

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    DwD is never going to come out, is it?

As soon as I saw Martin's last update in February, where he's all "fuck deadlines, I'll just tell you when it's done", I realized the next book won't be out for a few years at least. After all, the writer's block he had over this part of the story was a major part of the delay for Feast, and there's been no indication that he ever actually got over that block.

Yea, at least this way I don't want to beat the hell out of him whenever he complains about how busy he is with "crap which people don't want in comparison to the next Ice and Fire book" and whine about his fans are so unreasonable for wanting him to write a book.

Bah. I'm happier now that I have no reason to look into what he actually says.

Basically the other series he's working on, Wild Cards, is a souped version of his local gaming group's charecters.

So in essence, he's putting aside ASoIaF to work on fanfiction.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I could see Kiera Knightely playing Asha Greyjoy very well if she chopped off her hair and dyed it. I doubt she'd take the role, though, or at least she would demand a ton of cash and make it not worth it.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    She might be tired of playing a pirate though.

At least, tired of it for the money HBO would pay versus Disney.

captaink on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Peter Dinklage is a fucking amazing actor and no one else should play Tyrion.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Peter Dinklage is a fucking amazing actor and no one else should play Tyrion.

That's his name. He is awesome. I mean, look at the pic I posted. He's already regal.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I always thought the guy from Seinfeld and Nip/Tuck (one of the weirdest storylines ever) fit what I imagined Tyrion to look like.

Sure, not ugly enough, but that's what makeup is for. And he's a good actor.

Edit: Okay, bad link. But that only resulted in me finding this significantly more apt picture:

peterdinklage_175.jpg
    Yeah that was the guy I was talking about, but if I remember right he's American. And I really hate listening to poorly faked english accents in movies or TV shows. Idealy the actor would be someone that fits Tyrion description enough to be passable and have the acting experience to pull it off, and maybe an english accent. But that might be a minor concern, and maybe he can fake a decent accent, it's entirely possible. He's the best possible choice if you are going for someone who looks closest to Tyrion and who has a decent amount of acting experience though, I'll give him that.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Why do you assume that the residents of a mythical world have an English accent?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why do you assume that the residents of a mythical world have an English accent?

Well I mean the Romans evidently had English accents and they were Italian, so it makes sense

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well it's mainly because of the audio books for SoIaF (what little I've heard of them), in which the characters have had english accents. And the fact that so many fantasy universes have residents with predominately english accents that it almost seems like some kind of unspoken rule. But you know, that's me.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GRRM wrote:
    Oh please God don't kill me

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »
    GRRM wrote:
    I will rape you.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    GRRM wrote:
    I will rape you.

He actually said it though. It's right there in the second paragraph.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Dwayne Johnson might like to try Khal Drogo.

i may just be remembering it wrong, but i thought the dothraki were asian looking.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GRRM wrote:
    I will rape you.

The fact that GRRM spends time and effort into getting Warhammer-esque figurines out while he has a series to write, a series all his fans have been impatient for years for, made me go from D: to :x to :|
    P.S. I'll be joining titmouse because you got my hopes up

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GRRM wrote:
    I will rape you.

The fact that GRRM spends time and effort into getting Warhammer-esque figurines out while he has a series to write, a series all his fans have been impatient for years for, made me go from D: to :x to :|
    P.S. I'll be joining titmouse because you got my hopes up

Would you like to take his oral or anal virginity?

Couscous on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    The notion people have that Martin somehow "owes them" and that every fucking second of his life must be devoted to paying off this debt he has somehow accrued makes me ill. A photo surfaces of him taking a dump: "HES NOT WRITING!!!11!!one!"

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm just scared he'll pull a Robert Jordan. The guy really needs to lay off the cheeseburgers.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Your concern is touching.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    The notion people have that Martin somehow "owes them" and that every fucking second of his life must be devoted to paying off this debt he has somehow accrued makes me ill. A photo surfaces of him taking a dump: "HES NOT WRITING!!!11!!one!"

high enthusiasm generally means $$$ for martin so i doubt he's complaining about his legion of fans.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The thing is, you really get the feeling from reading his blogs and hearing him speak that maybe he's just really fucking lazy, even if he's also a fantastic writer.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    He's written on his site about how sick he is of getting nasty emails and death threats and shit, so yeah, actually he is. But for me it's really more about how some people have a really fucked-up creepy-ass sense of entitlement.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Eh.

I could give a fuck about George R R Martin miniatures, George R R Artbooks or any of the other crap he's been filling his time with.

If he hadn't taken like 7 years for the last (so-so) book I wouldn't care but he did and doesn't seem to much care about finishing his story. Which is fucking annoying.

Edit: Yea, threats and such are way over the line. I reserve the right to be annoyed at him but I do respect his right to not do anything more if he really wanted to. I doubt I'd ever touch anything he ever did in the future if that were the case though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    The thing is, you really get the feeling from reading his blogs and hearing him speak that maybe he's just really fucking lazy, even if he's also a fantastic writer.

I don't get that sense, but whatever. If that's the pace he works at, then that's the pace he works at. The idea that people's lives are so pathetically empty that they tear their hair out over not having a new GRRM book is freaking sick, though. It's like, god, come on, there are more books out there than any one person could read in a hundred lifetimes.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I take joy in introducing the series to other people then crushing their hopes when they finish the latest book.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    JuxtaposeJuxtapose Registered User new member
    edited November 2007

Parts of the story are influenced by The War of the Roses. I assume it's why on my copy of AGoT Anne McCaffrey is quoted as saying "such a fantistorical!"

Actually, that could just be minor brain damage.

Juxtapose on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I usually stumble upon gigantic epic series either when there are already most of the books out, or all of them out, so this pain in waiting is quite a new experience for me.

I think one of the reasons people are so impatient about this release is that he basically said that the book was done and that he just shifted characters around to create A Feast for Crows. Everyone and a half wants to return to their favorite characters that they missed in that book, and I suppose it can get to some people.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I enjoyed a Feast for Crows.

Martin is rather capricious when it comes to finishing a book on a deadline

It's irritating that he requires such a vast amount of time for each book, considering that they are the best fantasy series I have read. I need my fix.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, this reminds me, I've never re-read a Feast For Crows. Of course that means I'd have to reread the whole series first...

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's made worse by the fact that the first 3 books were actually released in relatively short order. It's the last couple that have been painful

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

I don't get that sense, but whatever. If that's the pace he works at, then that's the pace he works at. The idea that people's lives are so pathetically empty that they tear their hair out over not having a new GRRM book is freaking sick, though. It's like, god, come on, there are more books out there than any one person could read in a hundred lifetimes.

Oh man, you nailed me. My life is so pathetic; I sit in my room, alone, with just GRRM's latest book clutched in my hand, muttering to myself about how much GRRM owes me, his loyal reader. I occasionally put my book down to post about it on the internet.

Er, no, seriously, in A Feast for Crows GRRM says something in the back of the book about A Dance With Dragons being out "soonish," with the date on that page being February 2006. There's not even a rumor of the book being ready for February 2008, and he's basically said that FFC/DWD was one book that he'd written before.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.