As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bricked mp3 player

leafleaf Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Pre-emptive tl;dr version: built in flash memory gives i/o error, refuses to read on any pc. How would you go about un-fucking the memory?

Bricked mp3 players. Specifically, mine. It's an old Yepp-55v. It seems the pc's at work once again tried to destroy a flash drive of mine, last time I was able to recover the external hd. This time however, it's the mp3 player that continually gives an "i/o device error" on any of my pc's I try it on. The onboard format function seems to work, but that doesn't seem to allow it to connect when plugged into a usb slot with the same error.

I'm not sure on the best way to try fixing it. It's built in flash memory, which I'm not sure how to access once it's locked itself up.

- Built-in menu system seems to navigate fine, although it always shows as no files loaded into it (although it was nearly full before this started to happen, after the error it shows as empty).
- Trying to use Disk Management shows there's no actual space on it, and also won't let me format
- The "ready" display comes up when it is plugged into a pc however, and the pc detects a removable drive, however it cannot be accessed.

For those of you that googled this thing, yes it's atleast 5+ years old now, and I had hoped it would keep functioning for quite some time to come. I don't want a new mp3 player, so anyone saying "buy an ipod" can [insert rude adjective here]. Especially when I've seen ipods break on a yearly basis with just general use and taking every precaution possible, as opposed to the abuse mine has taken while costing only half as much as an ipod and lasting 5x longer.

newsig-notweed.jpg
leaf on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Format it if you have the balls.

Then reinstall the software etc.

Take note I am doing this on the assumtion "starting over" might just work.

The Black Hunter on