As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help shaving...

xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been shaving for several years now and something is really bugging me. My facial hair is really thick and hard to shave.

The days following a shave my face is hard and the new stubble is really tough and damn near impossible to shave. It's like trying to shave a rock. If I try it, my face becomes a bleeding mess.

So I'm forced to wait more than a few days for the hair to grow out (about a week). For some reason by that time my hair has softened and shaving becomes super easy, leaving my face clean and soft and awesome. I want it always to be like that. But the thing is when I try to again soon after I'm faced with the same dilemma.

So to sum up: If I shave again in 2-3 days it's really difficult because of the hardiness of my facial hair and my face ends up looking (and feeling) like the Battle of Gettysburg.

If I wait a week to shave again, hair becomes soft and easy to shave and there's no irritation. But I don't like having facial hair of that length.

Help?

xraydog on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What are you using as a shaving cream?

Alpine on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alpine wrote: »

Edge shaving gel and I'm using a Gillette Fusion razer.

xraydog on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    try shaving in the shower. Hot water will soften your hair and the hot steam will open your pores making it easier to shave.

aesir on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    xraydog wrote: »
    Alpine wrote: »

Edge shaving gel and I'm using a Gillette Fusion razer.

Try using a razor with less blades.

I'll try to dig up the article, but I remember reading a while back a dermatologist was recommending a 2 or 3 blade razor for most men and said that the razors like the fusion cause irritation and bad stubble (I can't think of the term he used), especially in men of the African and Arab ethnicity.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lots of people here hate them, but I find that an electric shaver is more comfortable than a razor when my beard is that short. The hairs are way too stiff to drag a razor across them, it just gets stuck.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i cannot dig up the article, but it talked about about how moisture softens whiskers, and you need the whiskers to remain wet for about 2 minutes. didn't really matter if it was water, soap, or foam/gel they all softened more or less equally, but foam was most effective in keeping the moisture up against the whisker.

ever since i started letting the foam stay on for a minute or 2 before shaving i started getting fewer nicks. also slow down and use a magnifying mirror if you got one.

i tried a fusion, i think my quattro power works better for me (i dont get nicks unless i hurry). my guess is the razor head on the fusion moves too freely.

Djeet on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You can get oils that soften hair. Off the top of my head however I cannot remember the brand I use (it's probably based in the UK anyway).

You don't even need foam after letting it soak in for a couple of minutes.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Use an aftershave lotion

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I use an electric razor and I love it. I can't believe people still use those shitty gillette hand razors.

Shogun on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are you shaving against the grain of your beard? I had the same problem, and it also gave me ingrown hairs. Now I shave with the grain, and while it doesn't feel quite as close, it is much easy to shave and keeps my skin clearer without the red spots forming.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shave in the shower.

I do this, and I don't even need shaving gel.

I quite often lather up some soap, but if I'm in a hurry I don't.

EDIT: and shaving in the shower is why I don't use an electric razor. I do pretty much everything in the shower. Brush my teeth, shave.

Dhalphir on