As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The letter to Limbaugh

h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So what does D&D make of this? Rush is a conservative talking head, and has been blasted by people for words of his that were taken out of context.

I personally dislike that congress went after him. It seems like a desperate attempt to smear more mud (there's currently plenty of crap to use against the right, you don't need to make shit up to beat them down right now) on the conservatives, as Limbaugh is more or less a figurehead for the right.

Scathing Limbaugh Letter Nets $2.1M

By BRIAN SKOLOFF – 1 hour ago

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A letter from Democratic senators blasting conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh for using the phrase "phony soldiers" on his program was sold Friday on eBay for a record $2.1 million.

A private foundation made the winning bid, which eBay spokeswoman Catherine England said set a record for the most expensive item sold for charity by the online auctioneer.

Limbaugh's comment during his radio show last month drew broad criticism from Democrats, who said he was smearing soldiers opposed to the Iraq war. Limbaugh and other conservatives responded with outrage of their own, saying Democrats were mischaracterizing comments aimed at one particular former soldier who lied about his service.

The Oct. 2 letter to Clear Channel Communications Inc. sought an apology from Limbaugh and a public repudiation from the company. It was signed by 41 senators, including Majority Leader Harry Reid and presidential candidates Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Chris Dodd.

The letter from the senators called Limbaugh's comments against "troops who oppose the war ... an outrage."

"It is unconscionable that Mr. Limbaugh would criticize them for exercising the fundamentally American right to free speech," the letter read.

Limbaugh said in a Fox News interview Thursday that the letter symbolized "the greatest example" of Congress "singling out a private citizen for abuse and censorship."

On his show Friday, Limbaugh said proceeds from the sale, and a matching $2.1 million from his own pocket, would go to the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation, which provides scholarships to children of Marines or federal law enforcement personnel who were killed while serving their country.

The winning bid came from the Maryland-based Eugene B. Casey Foundation, according to the group. The foundation, which lists assets of $294 million in its latest IRS filing, was established by Casey, a real estate developer, and is run primarily by his widow, Betty.

The foundation's largest grants during its last fiscal year included $4.9 million to a Bethesda, Md., hospital, $3.5 million to the Washington Opera and $850,000 to the American Arts Network. It also gave $110,000 to the Salvation Army and $100,000 grants to a Washington public television and radio station and Salute America's Heroes, which helps wounded soldiers. There were no reported grants to political organizations.

"The Eugene B. Casey Foundation believes freedom of speech is a basic right of every citizen of this country," the group said in a news release Friday.

In the segment where Limbaugh made the "phony soldiers" comment, he discussed Jesse Macbeth, who was sentenced to five months in prison last month for faking his military service. The Tacoma, Wash., man was kicked out of the Army after six weeks at Fort Benning, Ga., in 2003, but he later claimed to have participated in war crimes in Iraq and tried to position himself as a leader of the anti-war movement.

Limbaugh has said he was referring only to Macbeth when he discussed "phony soldiers."

What are your thoughts on this D&D?

Edit: (link to the article)

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
h3ndu on

• Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    He's a douchebag and clearly said that any soldiers who were against the war weren't real soldiers, because, you know, they thought for themselves instead of listening to the words the Right fed to them.

On the other hand, Limbaugh also has that right to free speech like every one of us. Douchebag or not, he probably was within his right to do that.

So in closing- douchebag, but he has the right to say what he wants as well as the soldiers.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm trying to find out just whom he was talking about when he said 'Phony Soldiers'.

Most of the argument comes from the idea that he was encompassing all soldiers who are against the war, but sources claim that he was making his statement on a literal fake of a soldier. I don't listen to his show, so I don't know what he was talking about in truth, but a lot of noise is being raised over this.

Regardless of his words I don't like that congress is going after him for it. It is freedom of speech, and I think they have some more pressing matters to deal with than what an old republican talking head says.

It bothers me.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    He's a douchebag and clearly said that any soldiers who were against the war weren't real soldiers, because, you know, they thought for themselves instead of listening to the words the Right fed to them.

On the other hand, Limbaugh also has that right to free speech like every one of us. Douchebag or not, he probably was within his right to do that.

So in closing- douchebag, but he has the right to say what he wants as well as the soldiers.

I'll say this again - freedom of speech is not freedom from the repercussions of speech. Yes, Rush has every right to say what he wants. But that doesn't mean he can't get called on his bullshit.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Congress isn't trying to keep him from saying it. They're calling him a douchebag for saying it.

And he is, so I don't see a problem here. I'd not even heard Macbeth's name until Limbaugh said it.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Can anyone find a copy of the letter?

edit:

Never mind. Doc's right.

1.jpg

2.jpg

But once more, did anyone hear his actual conversation? Was he really talking about soldiers against the war, or the single fake?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'll say this again - freedom of speech is not freedom from the repercussions of speech. Yes, Rush has every right to say what he wants. But that doesn't mean he can't get called on his bullshit.

And why are congressmen and women somehow exempt from free speech? I see 41 influential Americans stating an opinion. This is not an act of Congress.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvXrMi6SZLg

Oh dip. Rush is a liar and a douchebag. Then he retcons to cover up his lie.

Doc on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    "It is unconscionable that Mr. Limbaugh would criticize them for exercising the fundamentally American right to free speech," the letter read.

Limbaugh said in a Fox News interview Thursday that the letter symbolized "the greatest example" of Congress "singling out a private citizen for abuse and censorship."
    I don't understand how any of this has to do with censorship or freedom of speech. Limbaugh isn't denying soldiers their right to talk to the media, and the senators aren't denying Limbaugh's right to smear them for it. From where I'm sitting, it just looks like a childish shit fit from both parties.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    h3ndu wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out just whom he was talking about when he said 'Phony Soldiers'.

Most of the argument comes from the idea that he was encompassing all soldiers who are against the war, but sources claim that he was making his statement on a literal fake of a soldier. I don't listen to his show, so I don't know what he was talking about in truth, but a lot of noise is being raised over this.

The phrase "phony soldier" is an attempt to blunt criticism from Iraq War vets, by insinuating that real soldiers believe in the mission. It's a double whammy - not only does it deflect criticism, it's also a handy attack on liberals for "brainwashing" the troops. Of course, the problem is that in doing so, you're basically saying that these men and women are nothing more than uniformed parrots.
    h3ndu wrote: »
    Regardless of his words I don't like that congress is going after him for it. It is freedom of speech, and I think they have some more pressing matters to deal with than what an old republican talking head says.

It bothers me.
    Please look up the meanings of censure and censor. (Hint: They're not synonyms.) Calling men and women who have served in the military "phony soldiers" because they don't agree with your stances is a disgusting denigration of them. Why shouldn't elected leaders stand up for our troops?

Also, did it bother you when Congress went after MoveOn?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvXrMi6SZLg

Oh dip. Rush is a liar and a douchebag. Then he retcons to cover up his lie.

Yeah that pretty much cleared it up for me. Thanks.

edit: At least the $2 mil is going to something.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Now if they could only go after Ann Coulter and her legions of Vagino-facist Douchists.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd not even heard Macbeth's name until Limbaugh said it.

I think it was Basar that originally mentioned him somewhere around a year to a year and a half ago to rail about the evils of American soldiers. We had it out on the forum until I linked to some newspaper inteviews showing he was in Arizona during the time he was supposed to be in Iraq killing people (as well as court records that showed he in and out of court as well as on parole for credit card fraud at the time).

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You're never going to get anywhere fighting against the right-wing echo chamber. They're just going to re-write history to reflect their views.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    You're never going to get anywhere fighting against the right-wing echo chamber. They're just going to re-write history to reflect their views.

Like the people who insit this comment was about MacBeth when it was not even related?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Like the people who insit this comment was about MacBeth when it was not even related?

Remember, IOKIYAR.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    black fridayblack friday __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Congress isn't trying to keep him from saying it. They're calling him a douchebag for saying it.

And he is, so I don't see a problem here. I'd not even heard Macbeth's name until Limbaugh said it.

There was an article about him in Stars and Stripes, but I can't imagine he got much media coverage. He's just a guy who failed out of basic training and later talked shit about how "hardcore" he was.

black friday on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

There was an article about him in Stars and Stripes, but I can't imagine he got much media coverage. He's just a guy who failed out of basic training and later talked shit about how "hardcore" he was.
    What?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    black fridayblack friday __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Macbeth

He's no one important, I was agreeing with Doc.

black friday on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

There was something on ABC news about it a few days prior.

My problem with this is why the senate is wasting their time lambasting a slightly ambiguous disparaging comment. It accomplishes nothing but making a big partisan shitfit. Let the Olbermans and the media pick up the issue if it is so damn important.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Savant wrote: »

My problem with this is why the senate is wasting their time lambasting a slightly ambiguous disparaging comment. It accomplishes nothing but making a big partisan shitfit. Let the Olbermans and the media pick up the issue if it is so damn important.

Because Rush himself forced Congress to publically censure MoveOn over the Petraeus ad. As the Olberman clip posted points out, this in turn set a precedent that the soldiers are not to be attacked. As a result, Rush is now in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position:
    • If he argues that his "phony soldiers" comment is okay, then MoveOn committed no foul attacking Petraeus.
    • If he argues that MoveOn did, indeed go over the line with their ad, then so did he, and even worse because at least MoveOn could point to Petraeus' ties to the administration.

This is why he's spinning the MacBeth story as hard as he can - because at least this way, he doesn't have to admit to being wrong. The problem is that the lie is pretty fucking transparent.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Savant wrote: »

Liberals probably felt the need to respond to the "General Betray-us" condemnation.
    Both are retarded. Go spend my cash doing something useful.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

The "ignore it and it will just go away" strategy?
    That worked so well for John Kerry.
    And Gary Condit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why is congress wasting time with shit like this? seriously? our government has nothing better to do than worry about what some moron said on air? Holy shit.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    Why is congress wasting time with shit like this? seriously? our government has nothing better to do than worry about what some moron said on air? Holy shit.

So it was perfectly okay for Congress to condemn MoveOn, but condemnig Rush is a waste of time?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No, it's equally stupid.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, it would be much better if the left mobilized it's own echo chamber of pundits to counterattack.
    Pundits like... say... Jon Stewart.
    And.. um... Jon Stewart.
    And maybe Stephen Colbert.
    And some more Jon Stewart.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

So it was perfectly okay for Congress to condemn MoveOn, but condemnig Rush is a waste of time?

Not all of Congress condemned MoveOn, mainly Hillary and Obama. Anyways, I'm not a fan Rush and I think the Dems tried to play the MoveOn/Patreus game but actually ended up looking like the losers they already are.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am so sick of the "Why is congress wasting time...?" question. All they did was send a fucking letter. God damn!

Hoz on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This logic bugs me. If something is stupid, then the other side of the issue shouldn't have its of fair shake at being stupid as well. It should be fought at every turn.

That being said. I've no problem with this.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think Congress' behavior is entirely reasonable on both the MoveOn and Limbaugh fronts. Basically, both of them are edifices that intend to wield political power through influence. Naturally, congress' opinion of them matters in terms of the efficacy of their influence. By condemning them with a non-binding statement, congresspeople are effectively punishing them by reducing their political power, without resorting to authoritarian measures (like passing actual law restricting their speech).

It's just (as others have said) a great example of having the right to free speech but having responsibility for what you say.

nescientist on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    And Gary Condit.
    I didn't mean that. I just meant that they aren't going to win by running inside the echo chamber and shouting about how wrong they are.

They win by going public instead, and attacking Limbaugh in the public sphere, instead of the right-wing sphere, and slapping his words into a fundraising letter.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't think "the right" is the right term to use there. It's like saying "the liberals". Not everybody on the right is for the war, and not everybody on left is against it.

That aside, I agree that he should be allowed to say what he wants. If he wants to say something stupid, he should be allowed to.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    And Gary Condit.
    I didn't mean that. I just meant that they aren't going to win by running inside the echo chamber and shouting about how wrong they are.

They win by going public instead, and attacking Limbaugh in the public sphere, instead of the right-wing sphere, and slapping his words into a fundraising letter.

Okay, I'm with you there.

Feral on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

Not all of Congress condemned MoveOn, mainly Hillary and Obama. Anyways, I'm not a fan Rush and I think the Dems tried to play the MoveOn/Patreus game but actually ended up looking like the losers they already are.

oh, get out.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    I don't think "the right" is the right term to use there. It's like saying "the liberals". Not everybody on the right is for the war, and not everybody on left is against it.

That aside, I agree that he should be allowed to say what he wants. If he wants to say something stupid, he should be allowed to.

I thought it was pretty clear that 'the right' was referring to specific group of ideological cohorts, not to everyone everywhere who has a claim on being a 'conservative.'

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    I am so sick of the "Why is congress wasting time...?" question. All they did was send a fucking letter. God damn!

Ever see "Team America, World Police" where Hans Blix is trying to get Kim to show him his W.M.D.s?

Kim: "Or what?"

Hans: "Then we will write a very angry letter to you; telling you that we are very, very angry!"

It's basically a satirical way of showing how truly impotent the U.N. is. The resolutions they pass are utterly meaningless and for show and can't be enforced unless someone else, usually the USA, backs them with force. Hezbollah has been ordered to disarm via a security counsil resolution, think it'll happen? Stuff like this makes the current Dems leadership look nearly as impotent.

I don't like the war either, but if you want to end it, right now, congress can do it, TODAY, but they choose not to really *do* anything. They just write letters. Even the democrat frontrunners who constantly down the war won't even committ to ending it their first term. OK, fine, you think the war's bad, what's your plan? Stay the course? Graduallly pull out? Oh, sorry, you won't answer "hypotheticals".

So how the heck am I supposed to know what I'm voting for?

Weak.

Same deal with the "Betray-us" letter. Mayby if you guys hadn't rubber-stamped everything Bush-Rumsfeld did for 5 years, we wouldn't be in this mess and people wouldn't be so angry, even if they express it very badly and obnoxiously. Also if your opponent says something stupid, let them keep talking as they're only indirectly helping you.

Seriously.

Ann Coulter helps the Democrats and Michael Moore helps the Republicans more than either would feel comfortable knowing.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Rush Limbaugh and the Right-wing pundits helped transform my father into an uncompassionate warmongering man. Also, he insulted me on-air following the Virginia Tech shootings when I was spearheading a group protesting the demonization of Seung-hui Cho and -- even more disgustingly -- used it as a launching board for his usual "bash the liberals!" pratter.

It is always appropriate for people to call out this man, in my eyes. Besides, the Congress has a lot of free time with how little they actually want to get done with an election looming. :|

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    Rush Limbaugh and the Right-wing pundits helped transform my father into an uncompassionate warmongering man.

This. Right here. My father has been listening to Limbaugh for many of his waking hours every day for the past few years.

It is impossible to engage him on any topic Rush has an opinion on.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    Oboro wrote: »
    Rush Limbaugh and the Right-wing pundits helped transform my father into an uncompassionate warmongering man.

This. Right here. My father has been listening to Limbaugh for many of his waking hours every day for the past few years.

It is impossible to engage him on any topic Rush has an opinion on.

The good thing about people like these, their opinion is easily swayed. Just not by you. The last three people they've heard speak on TV will dictate their opinion. If you manage to replace Limbaugh with a less extreme conservative or even a right-leaning moderate, their opinions will shift fairly readily. I'm completely certain that if you had complete control over what they saw on TV and the radio, you could have them lining up early to see Michael Moore's next movie inside of a year.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I find the use of "Rush Limbaugh" as shorthand for despicable right-wing radio amusing. He's by far the least obnoxious of the right-wing radio hosts. Listen to him for a week then listen to Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, or G. Gordon Liddy. The latter four will make you want to claw your own brain out the front of your face just to end the pain.

Feral on