As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

vista and copying a stubborn file

Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Using vista ultimate x64 here. Anyway, there's a file I want to move (a DLL file that isn't used by anything). AVG says it's a virus (It isn't though) but otherwise, nothing special about the file.
Except I can't move it to ANY PLACE AT ALL. Just says I need permission, and asks me to try again. I am using the only account on this computer, which I do hope is a admin account, and I can't move a goddamn FILE THAT ISN'T EVEN IN USE!
I'm furious at this point.
I checked the file, and I am apparently allowed full control of it. I need help. I want to move this file....
I'll be trying out other stuff in the meantime, but I want to do this SIMPLE OPERATION quickly.

Fuck.

Thanks in advance.

Burning Organ on

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tried booting in safe mode? And are you sure you have permission to move a system/protected file?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Didn't try in safe mode, how do I get permission to move system/protected files? I do think I should be allowed to do everything, and I just got the file, so it shouldn't be protected.

EDIT: What the hell, how do I boot in safe mode in vista? (I'm dual booting vista/ubuntu if that changes anything.)

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you have write access to NTFS in Ubuntu, can you mount your Vista partition and move it from within Ubuntu?

root trumps administrator (at least it should)

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You could also install the recovery console, boot into that instead of normal Windows, and move it from the limited command line that the recovery console gives you.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Disable Antivirus? Some AV programs will kind of seize any file/folder it thinks is virus-laden and refuse to let you do anything with it.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I did try that...
    Anyway, I tried the ubuntu thing, but my other harddrive isn't visible there (forgot what I partitioned it as).
    Safemode worked though.
    I'm still completely baffled as to why I couldn't move it without rebooting...
    But the program couldn't run with that dll anyway, so it doesn't matter :D
    Thanks for the help anyway.

Burning Organ on