As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

# processes on boot-up?

Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey folks,

This is an XP question. I've maintained a few desktop computers myself, and I usually have 25-30 processes start at boot-up. I'm vigilant about turning things off at bootup under msconfig. That's fine.

I've seen a few of my friends' laptops which have been poorly maintained. These typically boot with 50-60. My question is - is this mainly because of the fact that they're laptops or because the people using them allow shit to clog up their systems?

Marty81 on

• Options
    TheFishTheFish Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A laptop might have a couple of extra processes for things like power management, watching for hot-swap devices like external floppy drives, and that sort of thing. But I'd bet it's mostly just rubbish.

TheFish on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My laptop has less than 30.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I vote shitted up.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok folks, thanks for confirming my guess. I know there are some extra processes for power management and things like the touchpad on a laptop, but I didn't think that the average laptop had to have double the processes of the average desktop just to run.

Marty81 on