As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To touch or not to touch? (Ipod)

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My 2nd Gen Ipod of over 4 and a half years has finally hit the dust, so it's time for a new mp3 player. The Ipod Touch is obviously very appealing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money. I don't need a lot of storage since I use it mostly for podcasts and probably will very rarely use it for video, so it's between a Touch and a Nano. So is the "cool" factor and touch feature worth the extra cash for the Touch? Should I wait until the next gen or Touch's before I invest the money? Are there any other brands I should be looking at?

chuck steak on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    If you're using it mainly for podcasts, I think the Touch is probably a bit of overkill for you. And the new Nanos can play video too.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As an iPhone owner I can tell you that using the iPod portion of it is my least favorite thing to do. What other parts of the Touch appeal to you? If you can't see yourself getting your money's worth out of the other features then I would skip the Touch. Dragging your finger all over your iPod isn't worth the premium, IMO.

Now, those sub-$100 Zunes are looking very good, I must say. Podcast support will be coming within the next month or so, and until then you can still manually download and sync them, or set up another program to download them, then set the Zune software to watch the download folder and sync it automatically.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just bought a Touch, and it is worth every penny in my opinion. I was one of those lusting after an iPhone but not interested in entering a contract with AT&T for the next two years.

My music collection is only about 10gb, so the 16gb model fits perfectly. This thing has completely satisfied my iPhone lust and is pretty damn awesome. While I don't do many podcasts, it seems like this device could fit the bill if you're really into them.

Plus, if you're into tinkering with your devices, it's now super easy to jailbreak the iPod Touch to add 3rd party applications. I jailbroke mine and had all the iPhone apps on it within 30 minutes!

Overall, it's an extremely solid device that I would highly recommend. I think you'd find yourself using the browser and other features alot more than you'd expect after having it for a while.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png