As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hugs and Kisses: Ships of Relations

Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So given that the other thread is far more specific, I thought I'd just drum up a general relationship thread, with yakking about men and women and the things they do so that they can touch each other. Pretty much everything is fair game here; courting, dating, proposing, sex, whatever.

Just...try to keep the personal advice to a minimum. Spicing up discussion with anecdotes is fine, or trying to nudge the conversation towards something that interests you, but this is not an alternate H/A, or a LiveJournal thread. We don't want to hear about the girls you've hooked up with and we don't want to answer questions that aren't discussable, but yes/no answers. There are other places for that.

So, to get the ball rolling, let's start this thread the same way relationships start. Flirtation. How do you flirt, how do you know when you're being flirted with, how long do you flirt before makin' da moves. Are you a "let them know how you feel" duder, or one of those "I run, they follow" playas. Or, we could talk about whatever.

Charles Kinbote on

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Talking about whatever is fun.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Relationship-oriented whatever.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ugh, I'm hopeless with flirting. Or rather, I'm hopeless at recognizing it. If someone is flirting with me, I can flirt back comfortably whether I realize that they're flirting or not - which is a good thing, since I can almost never tell when someone's flirting with me. I just assume that they're nice/touchy/whathaveyou with everyone.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Relationship-oriented whatever.
    In relation to what?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Somtimes I think my girlfriend is from Venus, and I am from Mars.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm hopeless with flirting. Or rather, I'm hopeless at recognizing it. If someone is flirting with me, I can flirt back comfortably whether I realize that they're flirting or not - which is a good thing, since I can almost never tell when someone's flirting with me. I just assume that they're nice/touchy/whathaveyou with everyone.

I'm kinda the same, I think. When I really like someone (platonically, this goes for both sexes) I basically act the same way to them that they do to me. When I like-like/love/whatever someone, I reciprocate and go a little bit beyond. This causes some problems, because naturally everyone has different definitions of flirting, and I know some girls that hug me to say hello, goodbye and to punctuate a sentence that I know have no feelings for me, and I have girls that hug me maybe once a week that, once I hug back, seem to think I'm in love with them.

The actual method of my flirting don't work so well, because generally I'm supportive, kind, generous, funny, etc when I'm flirting with the ladyfolk (or I like to think that I am), but this seems to relegate me to best-friend-status pretty quick. Don't quite know where the breakdown is.

Yeah, hopeless at recognition pretty much sums it up.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I smile a lot. This tends to render the female defenseless. I swoop in and prepare her for mating with my impressive conversational abilities.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Smiling is an awesome place to start, good call my fellow internet user *tips hat*

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Smiling is important, sure, but I consider that much more of an ice-breaker, and personally I don't find myself ever all that interested in someone I don't know. I only develop any romantic feelings for people I'm fairly well-acquainted or familiar with, so most of my flirtation is aimed at making them see me as a diverse and interesting guy that can and will care for them.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    This is gonna sound a bit out there, but in my current relationship I'm discovering how powerful hand-contact can be.

Most of the time we'll just lie on the bed after watching a movie or something, and we'll be touching/caressing/exploring each others' hands. In silence, no words uttered; our hands will be doing all the talking, in a sense. After a while we'll both be incredibly turned on. It's crazy. And even in times when it doesn't lead to amazing sex, we'll both feel great. I don't know how to explain it in words.

Try it sometime.

ege02 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Not been in a stable relationship, really. Been in quite a few that fall short of that, though. I guess I'm too picky.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Smiling is the ice-breaker to get to know people. The more people you know, the more people you encounter, the more possibilities begin to unfold before you.

Also, I always flirt, with pretty much everyone. I don't have to recognize when someone is flirting with me (or not), because it doesn't matter. The very idea of "telling if they are flirting with me or not" is pretty much foreign. I just can't even begin to understand that feeling. I don't even have a "method". It's just what I do.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Smiling is an awesome place to start, good call my fellow internet user *tips hat*

MikeDeodatoJoker.jpg

Am I doing it right?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Smiling is the ice-breaker to get to know people. The more people you know, the more people you encounter, the more possibilities begin to unfold before you.

Also, I always flirt, with pretty much everyone. I don't have to recognize when someone is flirting with me (or not), because it doesn't matter. The very idea of "telling if they are flirting with me or not" is pretty much foreign. I just can't even begin to understand that feeling. I don't even have a "method". It's just what I do.

Because you don't want to know, or you just can't? The latter, I identify with, the former, I don't understand. I would probably classify it as my main failing in relationships; I have no clue when someone is attracted to me. Noooo clue.

As far as icebreakers go, I just think "be charming". When I see someone that I think would be a good friend/notfriend, I make jokes, horse around with my friends that are present, etc. Try to avoid unnecessary attention-whoring, though...I want them to glance over at me and suddenly be laughing and smiling, but not have their attention forced on me by some energy. I'm not a big physical comedy kinda guy is what I'm trying to say I guess.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    This is gonna sound a bit out there, but in my current relationship I'm discovering how powerful hand-contact can be.

Most of the time we'll just lie on the bed after watching a movie or something, and we'll be touching/caressing/exploring each others' hands. In silence, no words uttered; our hands will be doing all the talking, in a sense. After a while we'll both be incredibly turned on. It's crazy. And even in times when it doesn't lead to amazing sex, we'll both feel great. I don't know how to explain it in words.

Try it sometime.

yes, it is ridiculously powerful.

Any sort of non-sexual touching, if you're even anywhere close to turned-on, is arousing, and humans thrive on skin to skin contact, but hands are SO sensitive that even just lightly brushing fingertips with someone can be incredibly erotic and sensual.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Because you don't want to know, or you just can't?[/quote]

Kind of a false dichotomy. I suppose my answer would be more in line with "can't know", but that's not entirely true. I don't think the opinions toward me fall neatly in the line with "want me!" and "don't want me!"- the interaction is more complex than that.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What Loren Michael said sounds about right to me.

Flirting for me is just talking, maybe making more of a little effort with conversation. Being slightly more personal than with a mere acquaintance. But then I've never really taken it very seriously.

I do know one thing. I used to be really shy and figure that no one could possibly like me. Then, once I stopped really caring and I'd go to parties without any goals or intentions and instead concentrated on just being friendly and conversational with everyone there, suddenly I had lots of interest. I didn't really do anything special or have any particular method - would just be friendly and chatty and forward. Would go to people instead of sitting in a corner hoping someone would come to me. That was flirting. And it was easy to do, because I wasn't obsessing over one person or homing in on only the best looking person there; I'd just talk with anyone and everyone, and that gives confidence, and once you have the confidence and you're not afraid to approach people, it all becomes rather easy.

I've never let anyone know that I like them, at least, not directly. All of my relationships have just slowly grown from friendships, or we've both known that we like each other without somehow saying it. At parties alcohol really does all the telling :P

Janson on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't think I ever have talked to someone with the intention of flirting. I talk to people I like how I normally talk to people, although I might smile more. I tend to reciprocate if the person I'm talking to is being playful. I can't explain what it is I do when I'm aware that I'm flirting, either. More eye contact? I have pretty expressive eyes so I do most of the talking with them if I like someone. If I really like somebody I might lightly touch them, but that's about it.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    What Loren Michael said sounds about right to me.

Flirting for me is just talking, maybe making more of a little effort with conversation. Being slightly more personal than with a mere acquaintance. But then I've never really taken it very seriously.

I do know one thing. I used to be really shy and figure that no one could possibly like me. Then, once I stopped really caring and I'd go to parties without any goals or intentions and instead concentrated on just being friendly and conversational with everyone there, suddenly I had lots of interest. I didn't really do anything special or have any particular method - would just be friendly and chatty and forward. Would go to people instead of sitting in a corner hoping someone would come to me. That was flirting. And it was easy to do, because I wasn't obsessing over one person or homing in on only the best looking person there; I'd just talk with anyone and everyone, and that gives confidence, and once you have the confidence and you're not afraid to approach people, it all becomes rather easy.

I've never let anyone know that I like them, at least, not directly. All of my relationships have just slowly grown from friendships, or we've both known that we like each other without somehow saying it. At parties alcohol really does all the telling :P

I'm kinda the same in that my self-confidence kinda fell so low that it looped back around and I didn't care what people thought because I felt that I didn't have much to lose (I'm being flippant, I don't think self-esteem is a closed loop). Interest has grown in me a lot too, but not usually from the girls that I have an interest in and am actively flirting with, which confuses me. I know I'm not being skeezy, and I don't think I'm being overbearing anymore...I think it's more the type of girl I'm attracted to, honestly. One in particular that has been an ongoing interest of mine for quite some time has the propensity to be rather flirtatious and seemingly forward with her words (not things I realize at the time, generally, but things I look at/remember later and go "oh wow"), but her actions run the gamut from "oh man she wants me" to quite the opposite. She doesn't do rude things, or anything I would classify as bitchy or anything, and I am prone to overanalysis so this may be that speaking, but subtle things that I think are signs that she has no interest.

See, that's what I mean by flirtation interpretation - I assume somewhere out there there is someone who can be in exactly my situation and know what she's trying to communicate.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2007
    I think I have been in your situation very recently and I still have no idea what she is trying to communicate.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Being in a relationship has made me more of a dick, because the emotional support I get from the relationship makes me care less about what other people think.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've been less and less of a dick since being in a relationship. Perhaps it's because my relationship wasn't a healthy one.

There may also be no causal factor involved.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For several years in high school, I had several un-requited crushes. Then I stopped caring. Within a month, I had a girlfriend. Having a girlfriend, I cared even less. For 5 years of being with her, several girls (some I'd previously had crushes on) admitted that they were interested. Of course, I had a girlfriend, so I didn't go there. Then we broke up. Suddenly, no one's interested. Funny how that works.

I find that if the thought even enters my mind that I am flirting or she is flirting, I tend to end up spending way more time thinking about what to say than actually saying anything worthwhile. It's a pretty horrendous cycle. So far, alcohol tends to be the only thing that breaks it. Bottoms up!

jotate on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Girls started hitting on me as soon as I had an engagement ring on.

Quirky.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I definitely had more success with meeting new girls when I was in a relationship.

Odd.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I definitely had more success with meeting new girls when I was in a relationship.

Odd.

Yup, same here.

I just felt more relaxed talking to girls. I guess before I'd be really worried each time about "not fucking this up" so i wasn't able to relax. Now I can just not care if the girl likes me or not (that way; i'd prefer that people like me on a personal level), and apparently that's attractive.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it could definately be a change in the committed guy's attitude rather than a change in how he is perceived by some women.

Shinto on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need to learn how to make decent conversation with girls I'm interested in. Casual conversation is something I've never been especially good at, and when I've got my eyes on a girl I guess I just get nervous and bomb. I encouraged a girl that I like to go to a party that I was going to (she has a boyfriend). Originally she had not intended on going, but yup, she showed up, and without her boyfriend. Hoorah! Only I was totally unable to mount any sort of conversation. We barely talked, then she left. I feel like such a tool when I do something like that.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I hate inviting people places. I prefer to just talk, or not. If conversation doesn't happen, no big loss. If I go somewhere with the intent of having conversation and one or both of us aren't interested, it's a terribly awkward situation that may damage future prospects.

Have conversations first, establish reliable subjects, then invite people places. Or, be having a conversation, and drop the notion that, "hey I'm/are you hungry(./?) Do you wanna go grab a bite to eat with me?" Or whatever. I hate dating in any sort of official, established sense, like dinner and a movie, as it just implies that certain things should happen, and I rarely think that's the case. It frames what could otherwise be a good time in an uncomfortable, "this-is-supposed-to-be-leading-somewhere-very-specific" cage.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think these are the situations that lead to "Nice shoes, wanna fuck?"

jotate on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Yeah, it could definately be a change in the committed guy's attitude rather than a change in how he is perceived by some women.

Well, research has proven that people who have significant others are perceived as more attractive, because they are thought of as "being good with" the opposite sex.

They did a study on the way women perceive men. They took a bunch of women, and showed them two groups of pictures of men. On some pictures, men were by themselves. On others, they were with women who were smiling at them, who were hugging them, or generally happy with them. The study found that men in the second group - the ones who were shown as making the girl they are with feel positive feelings - scored significantly higher on the attractiveness scale.

The way I look at it is that if you're in a committed relationship with someone, or even on a date with someone, the opposite sex perceives you as more attractive because you're placed lower on their "possibility of creepiness or being a terrible lover" etc. scale. The whole, "well, if she is dating him/married to him, he must be a great guy!" perception.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Uh I've never been in a relationship

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I need to learn how to make decent conversation with girls I'm interested in. Casual conversation is something I've never been especially good at, and when I've got my eyes on a girl I guess I just get nervous and bomb. I encouraged a girl that I like to go to a party that I was going to (she has a boyfriend). Originally she had not intended on going, but yup, she showed up, and without her boyfriend. Hoorah! Only I was totally unable to mount any sort of conversation. We barely talked, then she left. I feel like such a tool when I do something like that.

Speaking as a dude who has been on the other end of that, stop hitting on ladies with boyfriends.

It's rude. It says "I bet you have no clue what you like."

Not that I have any idea about this specific girl, but it does get on my nerves. There's usually a reason someone is dating a person. Usually it is because they like them, not because they haven't met you.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Speaking as a dude who has been on the other end of that, stop hitting on ladies with boyfriends.

Not that I have any idea about this specific girl, but it does get on my nerves. There's usually a reason someone is dating a person. Usually it is because they like them, not because they haven't met you.

Just because they are dating a person does not mean they suddenly lose the capability to like anyone else, and just because they are dating a person does not mean they suddenly lose the willingness to be perceived and treated as an attractive member of the opposite sex.

I understand it may get on your nerves due to jealousy issues, i.e. when someone hits on your boyfriend, but you are speaking out of place when you say that your girlfriend does not want to get hit on because she is dating you. I mean, she may or may not, but it is up to her to state that, not you.

ege02 on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Then you need to get out there and start having fun. It is a two-way street though. The emotional high received from the opposite sex that is attracted to you is rapture, but the venom that hurts so badly for so long when you both split is enough to make anyone want to die. Even if a split is amiable it still hurts. Play in the rain and you're going to get wet. I will say that so far is has gotten easier after every split.

Shogun on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Xaev wrote: »

Well then get the fuck off the internet and go socialize.

Sami on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

Then you need to get out there and start having fun. It is a two-way street though. The emotional high received from the opposite sex that is attracted to you is rapture, but the venom that hurts so badly for so long when you both split is enough to make anyone want to die. Even if a split is amiable it still hurts. Play in the rain and you're going to get wet. I will say that so far is has gotten easier after every split.

love is the greatest thing a heart can know
    but the hole that it leaves in its absence
    can make you feel
    so
    low

Sam on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Man, you know absolutely nothing about my or her situation. I will hit on whomever I please.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Xaev wrote: »

Well then get the fuck off the internet and go socialize.

I socialize a lot. It just means I have lot's of friends. Just not... those kind of friends.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
This discussion has been closed.