As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Family Channel

kathoskathos Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I don't know where this is supposed to be but I thought it should rather be in D&D than Help&Advice.

There's a channel in East Canada called the Family Channel (51 on Rogers). It's basically a channel for all sorts of Disney shows (they sometimes play movies that aren't owned by Disney). The channel work with NO COMMERCIALS and the shows run uninterrupted.

How does this channel make any money? I thought channels made money with commercials. And there's no way Disney's making the difference by selling crappy Kim Possible DVDs and on top of all that they're buying rights to movies to show.

Brlito.png
kathos on

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm trying to figure out if this is Canada's version of ABC Family or if it's your version of The Disney Channel.

It sounds like your version of The Disney Channel more than ABC Family.

Anyway, do they play High School Musical on this station? If so, that ALONE is your answer. The money they make it cd, dvd, and misc merch sales on High School musical would pay for a network and huge profits ALONE.

If they also play Hannah Montana, it's doubly explained. These two shows bring in redonkulous merch revenue.

Ludious on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's not ABC Family, I think it might be our Disney Channel.

I used to watch soo much Recess on Family since it was commercial free and awesome.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well I just found their website. I'd say it's almost definitely your Disney Channel. The site advertises High School Musical, Hannah Montana, Zach and Cody, etc.

Yes. This is why they don't need commercials. Those above mentioned shows make merchandising bank. Any quick glance around walmart will show you the hordes of merchandise accompanying these shows.

Ludious on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Essentially, the entire channel is one continuous commercial.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I believe cable companies also have to pay money to channels to run them.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Merch from just a few shows pays for people who make the show and all that? Wow :O I wasn't aware taht High School Musical (or Hanna Montana) made so much money.

Well thanks guys, cleared up some things.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They make money from you paying your cable bill, probably the reason it's not part of your basic lineup (least I'm guessing it's not, don't think it is on satellite). You know the channels with commercials? If you live in the right city you actually don't have to pay to watch most of them, we just get hosed in Canada.

djklay on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Disney Channel (in the states) has been a part of the basic packages for a long time now

Ludious on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It costs 80 cents for a cable or satellite company to run Disney Channel. There are about 72 million cable subscribers in the United States, and a few million more people have satellite TVs. Of these, I'm not sure how many get Disney channel, although Disney channel seems like a fairly common channel, and I'd imagine it's on virtually every family cable package.

I would say it's reasonable to estimate the channel makes around 500 million in revenue a year.

Sources:
    http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6316995.html
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A01E4D9143EF932A05754C0A9659C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

Treeloot on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ludious wrote: »
    Disney Channel (in the states) has been a part of the basic packages for a long time now

Cable in the states is a bit different than in Canada from what I understand. If you don't live in a city you have to have cable or satellite if you want more than 1/2 channels and most cities probably aren't much better, but I've only lived in Victoria as a city so not sure. Our basic packages usually include the US/Canadian networks but not specialty channels (HBO, Family, Discovery etc). So basically we get to pay to watch commercials.

djklay on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    The Family Channel -is- ABC Family, because Disney owns ABC. The Channel was originally the Christian Broadcasting Network, then The Family Channel, then FOX Family, then .. someone else, and now it's just Disney Channel exports.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kathos wrote: »
    Merch from just a few shows pays for people who make the show and all that? Wow :O I wasn't aware taht High School Musical (or Hanna Montana) made so much money.

High School Musical was the best-selling album in 2006. Not to mention the DVD, which broke sales records, and the concert, which regularly sold out.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »

High School Musical was the best-selling album in 2006. Not to mention the DVD, which broke sales records, and the concert, which regularly sold out.

Really? Everything I have heard makes it sound like crap.

Couscous on
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You underestimate the (indirect) buying power of young girls.

supertall on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

How is crappy and best selling exclusive, especially when you are selling to a younger audience who doesn't know better?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

It's safe to assume that you're not the target demographic. Unless you secretly have a crush on Zak Efron.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nickelodeon has a spin-off channel very similar to this, called "Noggin". It's basically Nick Jr. cartoons and Noggin originals run all day, commercial-free. They run the show straight through in 24 minutes, and for the last six minutes of every half hour they have their own little mascot who does learning exercises, or they play kid's music videos or something. In any case, keep mind that much of the cost of these channels is kept down because they're rerunning shows that run on the parent channel, and since they're owned by the same company, they don't have to pay royalties to run the shows. The other income from merchandising and cable distribution fees is probably more than enough to pay for the original shows and other content.

I dunno, I think they're alright - this one is, at least. My daughter loves the shows, and it's nice to watch it with her and not be bombarded with commercials (other than the shows themselves of course).

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie