As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Panzer Dragoon Saga $150 good?

2»

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How do developers actually lose the code to a game? I mean, keeping the code in some form seems like it should be pretty high up on their list. What happened?

Same way the rest of us lose shit. It's just that we expect a little more reverence with this type of thing. I'm sure a hard drive died somewhere. Or dude needed room for Quake.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EDIT: I really can't see much of a connection between Skies of Arcadia & PDS besides both being RPGs and involving flying. Very different styles of gameplay and story.

The ship battles in Skies of Arcadia reminded me a bit of PDS's combat a bit. While not real time, it still involved trying to evade their strong attacks while setting yourself up to exploit their weak spots and choosing from a variety of weapons to do so.

Anyway, I'll chime in with the others that it's really good, but not $150 good. But if you can resell it to recoup your losses, it's worth it IMO. No game has used the same kind of gameplay PDS did, which has led me to replaying the thing a few times and it remains one of my favorite games of all time. It's a style of gameplay you won't see elsewhere so seeing it once is worth it.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've only played Panzer Dragoon Orta so far, but I'd love to see some remakes / new games in the series.

I have a video clip somewhere that showed a presentation for a new game in the series, but I'm not sure if it had any truth to it.

What little I saw of the game world and art direction from Orta was really good. Seeing a new shooter or rpg in this series for one of the current systems would make my day.

fairweather on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I think another good comparison would be placing Panzer Dragoon Saga next to Ico. Actually, maybe even closer to Shadow of the Colossus. Ancient evil, forbidden lands, giant guardians of a mystical power...

Epic, incredibly artistic, moody/atmospheric... the world plays a big part of the game and is enhanced by it's art design, constructed language, and mysterious history. While Shadow and Saga play way differently, they definitely have the same things going for them, and similar vibes.

So, an interesting question. If Shadow of the Colossus and to a lesser extent Ico. If both of them suffered the same fate as Saga, would you pay 150$ for them?
    I have a video clip somewhere that showed a presentation for a new game in the series, but I'm not sure if it had any truth to it.

I know what you're referring to, and yeah. That was fan made.

Sheep on
  • Options
    FTVFTV Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have all the Saturn Panzer Dragoon games because it's my favorite game series. I would only suggest paying a lot of money for them if you know they're your favorite games ever, or if you have a lot of money.

FTV on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I suspect that some of the people saying "no" haven't played the game. Likewise, I suspect that some people saying "yes" haven't played the game either. That said, I'd pay $150 for it, but I'm crazy about gaming like that - I paid $150 for Dracula X on the PC engine without batting an eye. So it depends on how badly you want to play the game.

TL;DR: nobody has actually played the game, and I spend too much on video games.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    it's a good game. if you can justify $150 on it, why not? people have bought stupider things with $150. Like the legendary edition of Halo 3, for example.

*Buh dum tsh*

No, no, he's right.

I bought that shit because I wasn't shopping sober and it was a waste of money. The helmet sits above my fireplace and all the bonus DVDs remain unwatched.

Also, if you're judging on pure gameplay, I think the game is not worth that price. If you fancy yourself a collector then you pay the premium to own a rarity or complete a collection.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't ever approach a $150 game with the expectation that it should be 3 times better than any game you've played just because it costs 3 times MSRP. You'll be disappointed every time. (That said, PDS should be more like $120-$130.)

I bought PDS for about $130. It's very short (~12 hours on first playthrough, not even twice as long as that on my next run to get a 100% clear file) and very easy (no power-leveling ever required at all, though some may see that as a benefit), but I enjoyed it enough to keep it in my collection. Excellent music and one of the most fun battle systems I've ever played. Like others said, if you're at all interested in it, buy it with the intent to resell and consider it a rental at the price of postage.

Dragon Force is my favorite Saturn RPG. I've gotten at least 200 hours out of it.

Also, re: Guardian Heroes. The GBA game is completely different. It doesn't even play similarly at all. The Saturn version is fun and shines especially well in multiplayer. If you want to pick it up for cheap, look into the Japanese version, as it costs about half as much.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    it's a good game. if you can justify $150 on it, why not? people have bought stupider things with $150. Like the legendary edition of Halo 3, for example.

*Buh dum tsh*

No, no, he's right.

I bought that shit because I wasn't shopping sober and it was a waste of money. The helmet sits above my fireplace and all the bonus DVDs remain unwatched.

Also, if you're judging on pure gameplay, I think the game is not worth that price. If you fancy yourself a collector then you pay the premium to own a rarity or complete a collection.

I'm agreeing with him. I got it as well, but only for the DVDs, if only there was a "No helmet edition" with all the Legendary DVDs

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never played PDS.

However, Advance Guardian heroes is one of my FAVORITE gba games. Furthermore:

GUARDIAN HEROES IS WORTH -ANY- AMOUNT OF MONEY. NAME YOUR PRICE, THE OTHER PERSON SHOULD PAY IT.

It's probably my #1 favorite game on the Saturn. I have an english copy, and even if I sold every other "rare" game in my collection, GH will never EVER leave me. Best. Co-op. Ever.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I usually see Guardian Heroes go for around 40 - 60 on eBay.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    I usually see Guardian Heroes go for around 40 - 60 on eBay.

Madness! There should at least be 10 human souls as a bonus, as that's closer to it's total worth.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I still think it's sad that Panzer Dragoon Saga is the game most people associate with the Saturn as a worthwhile purchase.

I have nothing against the game, but there's so much more that system has to offer that almost no one appreciates.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I still think it's sad that Panzer Dragoon Saga is the game most people associate with the Saturn as a worthwhile purchase.

I have nothing against the game, but there's so much more that system has to offer that almost no one appreciates.

Radiant Silvergun? Guardian Heroes? Dragon Force? Shining Force III?

All four are usually highly regarded in any Saturn thread. Most of the big name titles on the system are.

I dunno. I've read tons of Saturn threads, and Panzer Dragoon Saga shares the limelight with the dozen or so other games that defined the system.

Sheep on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Radiant Silvergun? Guardian Heroes? Dragon Force? Shining Force III?

All four are usually highly regarded in any Saturn thread. Most of the big name titles on the system are.

I dunno. I've read tons of Saturn threads, and Panzer Dragoon Saga shares the limelight with the dozen or so other games that defined the system.

Well yeah, in the Saturn threads. But casually, most people just seem to know Panzer Dragoon Saga's history.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png