As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokémon] ¡Las Aventuras de los Monstruos de Bolsillo! Join the Legendary Cup!

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
There is a tournament coming December 7. The Legendary Cup! Where Legends Come True! The rules are HERE.

Join the Penny Arcade Pokémon League Challenge. You just need to beat 8 Gym Leaders in order to challenge the four Elite warriors!

THE LEAGUE CHAMPION: MUNKUS BEAVER
Munkus.png

THE ELITE FOUR Currently closed

mystic_knight
Atrioc
OldSundown
sigattempt2copy.png
AshtonDragon
LeagueBanner.gif

THE NINE GYMS OF THE G&T REGION

Mushroom Pie, Leader of the Fire Gym!

firesig.jpgdonefiremo5.png

The Green Lantern, Leader of the Ground Gym!
groundsig.jpgdonerockrf3.png

kabuki64, Leader of the Bug Gym!
buggymbanner2ca5.pngdonebugfn2.png

This Gym has a gimmick: It's a double battle-only Gym.

Chen, Leader of the Water Gym!
gymsigyl9.png

quovadis13, Leader of the Ghost Gym!
ghostgymsigmn4.pngghostgymsignewil0.png

c02y, Leader of the Poison Gym!
poisongym.jpg

SirToasty, Leader of the Fighting Gym!
sfightergym.png
donefightxe4.png

You must PM Toasty in order to challenge him.
Faustum, Leader of the Grass Gym!
siggedup7.jpgdonegrassjl1.png

WhipstitchZombie, Leader of the Ice Gym!
Trainer card currently unavailable
doneicebg9.png

You may challenge any gym that doesn't have "Currently closed" written in italics next to it in an official League match. "Trainer card currently unavailable" means that the gym is open, but that I haven't received a trainer card featuring the gym's Pokemon yet. You may still challenge these gyms. Gym leaders are obligated to post their line-up if you request it, but if you'd prefer to go in blind you may do that also.

YOU HAVE TO PM ME IF YOU BEAT A GYM LEADER!

DEFINITION OF AN OFFICIAL LEAGUE MATCH: A match in which a Challenger is fighting either a Gym Leader, a member of the Elite 4, or the League Champion. The League official must be using the team featured in their League Trainer Card. If the challenger is fighting an Elite 4 member or the Champion, he must be using the same exact line-up that he used against all previous E4 members. Defeating a Gym Leader in this type of battle results in the acquisition of a Gym Badge. Defeating an Elite 4 member in this type of battle results in the challenger being allowed to battle the next highest-ranked Elite 4 member in an official League match. Losing to an Elite 4 member in this type of battle results in the loss of one badge of the winner's choosing. Losing to the Pokemon Champion in this type of battle results in the loss of two badges of the winner's choosing.

All standard tournament rules apply in official League matches.

CHALLENGERS
Tacofiend-
donefightxe4.pngdonebugfn2.pngdonefiremo5.pngLOLGHOST.pngfuentebadge.gif
OldSundown-
donepoisonmc9.pngdonerockrf3.pngdonebugfn2.pngLOLGHOST.pngfuentebadge.gifdonefiremo5.pngdonegrassjl1.png
SirToasty-
donebugfn2.pngdonegrassjl1.pngdonefiremo5.pngLOLGHOST.png
Atrioc-
donebugfn2.pngdonerockrf3.pngdonepoisonmc9.pngfuentebadge.gifdoneicebg9.pngdonefiremo5.png
Mushroom Pie-
donepoisonmc9.pngdonerockrf3.pngdonefightxe4.pngfuentebadge.gifLOLGHOST.pngdoneicebg9.pngdonebugfn2.pngdonegrassjl1.png
Current Elite 4 Opponent: AshtonDragon
Jammers-
donepoisonmc9.pngLOLGHOST.pngdonefiremo5.png
core tactic-
donebugfn2.pngdonegrassjl1.pngdonerockrf3.pngLOLGHOST.png
kabuki64-
donefiremo5.png
RoscoetheIronclad-
donefiremo5.png
Faustum-
donefiremo5.png
AshtonDragon-
donefiremo5.pngfuentebadge.gifdonegrassjl1.png
Ohtsam-
donegrassjl1.png
c02y-
badges.png
MastaP-
donefightxe4.pngfuentebadge.gif
InvisibleInk-
fuentebadge.gifdonefightxe4.pngdonebugfn2.pnglolghostxk5.pngdonegrassjl1.png
Sir Red of the Manti-
badgestodatecx7.png
BlueBlue-
donegrassjl1.png
RockinX-
donebugfn2.png

RULES FOR CHALLENGERS:
-Beating a Gym Leader earns you a badge from that Leader's Gym

-Lose a gym battle and you can only rechallenge that gym the next day.

-You may only have official League matches with members of the Elite 4 after obtaining 8 badges. You must fight the Elite 4 in sequential order, from lowest to highest ranked.

-You may only have official League matches with the League Champion if you have 8 badges, and have beaten the Elite 4 without losing to any of them.

-Defeating the League Champion makes you the League Champion. The former League Champion becomes the highest ranked member of the Elite 4, and the lowest-ranked member of the Elite 4 gets his title stripped away, or, if the new League Champion is a Gym Leader, gains ownership of the now Leaderless Gym.

-Gym Leaders cannot challenge their own Gyms.

-If a member of the Elite 4 takes the Pokemon League challenge, and makes it all the way up to the point where a challenger would usually fight said Elite 4 member, he must trade his team to the standing Tower Tycoon, who will stand in as the missing member of the Elite 4. If the Tower Tycoon is not available, or if he is the same person as one of the Elite 4 fights the challenger still has coming, then any standing Gym Leader can stand in.

RULES FOR GYM LEADERS

-Your gym team, which is used for all official League matches, must contain at least 4 Pokemon of the type that you are representing. The other two should look somewhat like the type you're using, and must both have an attack of your type in their move list. The "looks like" clause is fairly lenient, but for instance a Gyarados isn't getting into the Bug Gym.

-Your default badge is the one next to your name in this post. Once every weekend, you may post an image, perhaps self-made, to replace the icon currently on your badge. Atrioc will make the change when it's convenient for him. The badges must stick to the above "black button" format; your only say in the matter is what the badge's icon looks like.

-You must accept any and all challenges, though not necessarily immediately. Your position as Gym Leader will be terminated in the event of prolonged inactivity, however.

-You may forfeit your position as Gym Leader or E4 member at any time, though you could at least do the courtesy of finding a successor. You may also trade Pokemon types with E4 members and other Gym Leaders, so long as they're willing. Until both participants in a trade have their new teams complete, they both must keep their gym open under their former type.

-With each member of the Elite 4 using two types, that leaves 9 gyms without a leader. Therefore, everyone other than the lowest ranked player in this tournament (and Munkus, since he's League Champion) will be given a gym, so long as they want it.

-Types are given away on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Elite 4 gets to pick out their types before anyone else. Fighting, Poison, and Bug are all already spoken for, unless Toasty, Kabuki, or Avicus would like to switch their type. Feel free to trade types with someone at any time.

-Gym Leaders and E4 members will need to PM me a trainer card featuring their gym team, once your gym is open for challenges. You are only allowed to change your line-up once every three days. If you trade types with someone, you have to keep your gym open under the current type until you have your new team trained.

-If a Gym Leader does not want to forfeit or trade away his Gym, challengers and Gym Leaders alike may challenge them for their Gym Leader position. The challenging player must adhere to the rules of the gym. That is, the challenging team must have at least four members belonging to the defending Gym Leader's type, and no more than two Pokemon that do not belong to the defending Gym Leader's type, but have a move of that type. The defending Gym Leader must use their Gym team. If a challenging Gym Leader wins the battle, a forced trade commences between the two. During the interval where the losing Gym Leader must train a new team, the former Gym of the winner will be closed, and the losing Gym Leader will have a 12 day grace period to build the gym's new team, after which they voluntarily forfeit their position as Gym Leader (if you don't plan on completing your team in time, please don't waste our time; just forfeit your position). If a non-Gym Leader challenger wins, they become the new Gym Leader, and the old one gets demoted to nothing. If the defending Gym Leader wins, the status quo remains the same.

-No one can challenge a specific Gym Leader for their position more than once every three days.

-A member of the Elite 4 cannot be challenge or be challenged for a type. They may hold onto their types for as long as they wish.

-A member of the Elite 4 cannot be a Gym Leader.

-When a new League Champion is crowned, the previous Champion is demoted to the highest-ranking Elite 4 member. The Elite 4 will not close at this point, even though the new 4th of the Elite 4 does not have his types in order. He will be given a 12 day grace period to build a team based on the types of the now-demoted lowest-ranking member of the Elite 4. It is strongly recommended that the League Champion keep such a team in reserve, so that there's less slowdown.

-If a Gym Leader becomes the new League Champion, the lowest ranking Gym Leader will be assigned to the Champion's old Gym. He has 12 days to make a team for the gym, after which he will forfeit his Gym Leader position.

-12 days should normally be long enough for replacement gym leaders to build a new team. Sometimes it won't be. In these cases, the courteous thing to do is to lend your replacement some of your old gym Pokemon for him to use until he gets his own Gym team completed.

-You MUST PM me a Trainer Card featuring your Gym team. You may change your Gym team once every 3 days, and must inform me of your change by PMing me an updated version of your trainer card.

-Giving your gym a crazy gimmick, like making double-battles only, is okay by us. Run gimmicks must pass through RockinX first, though. But no two people can do the same gimmick, so keep that in mind before thinking about having double battles as your gimmick, since Kabuki already has it.

GENERAL BATTLING RULES
-Sleep Clause: you may not put more than one of your opponent's Pokemon to sleep at a time.
-Species Clause: your team must be comprised of six different species of Pokemon.
-Item Clause: No two Pokemon on your team may be holding the same item.
-Suicide Clause: If both players are down to their last Pokemon, the player with the first Pokemon to hit 0 HP is the loser. In other words, using moves like Self Destruct and Explosion cause you to lose, even if it kills your opponent. However, using a move with a recoil that kill both you and your opponent is a win for you.
-No Legendary Pokemon whatsoever.
-No Wobbuffet. You may ask "Wynaut?", but you should already know.

Pokémon Recources:

PokéMart: All Pokemon trading can be done here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25308. READ THE RULES

Pokédexes
Psypokes - Really nicely set up, my favorite
Serebii's Pokédex - Can load pretty slow at times
Marriland's Pokedex
Veekun -Narian
PokeGoons -Angrylinuxgeek

IV Calculators
Metal Kid's IV Calculator
Serebii's IV Calculator
Psypokes' IV Calculator

Team Builder
Marriland's Pokemon Team Builder - Figure out your team's strengths and weaknesses!

EV Training
Keith's EV Training Guide
Ashton's Funtastic Guide
Psypokés' Guide

Art Resources
Sprites from every game
Ken Suigmori art of every Pokémon

Community
PA Pokémon Treehouse, courtesy of Keith
Platformers host their own events
Smogon is big on competitive battling - Main site is down at the moment, but forums are a good source of information
We now have an IRC Channel at #paforums_pokemon. Server is slashnet. Not sure how many people actively use it anymore

Serebii forums will melt your soul. Beware.

Wi-Fi Help
FAQ on trading and GTS
Serebii has one for battling

Everything
Bulbapedia... everything about Pokémon. Has high traffic, so load times will be long-ish

And now, some useless knowledge!

- Pokémon is a made-up word.
- None of the Pokémons' names change in Spanish translations from either continent, yet, they change in France, Italy and some others. Oh yeah, Latin America hasn't got the Spain Spanish translation since the RBY days, by the way.
- Ledian is based on Pulseman, which is a character from another game made by Game Freak, but it was released on the Genesis/Mega Drive.
- Pulseman's nemesis was the Galaxy Gang. Sound familiar?
- Garchomp is one tough motherfucker. Don't be an ass by mixing it with Tyranitar.
- If you evolve a Pokémon with a Japanese name on an American GBA cart, and that name was the default one, it will keep its name. But if you do that on DP, its name will be the evolution's. It won't change if it's an actual nickname, though.
- Infernape is based on Sun Wukong, a character from a very old Chinese Book called Journey to the West. Sun Wukong is pronounced Son Goku in Japanese, and he bore a staff while flying on a cloud.

More useless knowledge later on.

RockinX on

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just burned a Heracross. I might be dumb.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It could have had swarm. Though at this stage of the game, it's very unlikely. It's not like you just lost a girlfriend or a job because of your decision.

RockinX on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    WHERES THE POKEMON IN THE TITLE WHAT IS THIS JAPANESE BULLSHIT!!!

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    RockinX wrote: »
    It could have had swarm. Though at this stage of the game, it's very unlikely. It's not like you just lost a girlfriend or a job because of your decision.
    You don't know my girlfriend
    I don't have a girlfriend

It's not problem though, cause Venomoth just wiped out half his team.
    God I love Venomoth.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How does that dainty little thing even put a dent in anything

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's a death-bringer, fucking Bug Buzz

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    How does that dainty little thing even put a dent in anything
    Good Special Attack, Bug Buzz, Tinted Lens ability, and a Choice Scarf.
    Also, people don't know the hell it is. That helps.

Great fight MastaP

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You shouldn't underestimate UU Pokés, because they will kick your ass.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You shouldn't underestimate UU Pokés, because they will kick your ass.
    I was thinking about going to Smogon to argue in favor of Venomoth. Last time I checked it wasn't even UU it was NU. Never Used. It certainly deserves better than that.
    I probably won't bother with that though.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Haha, I know all about the power of underestimated pokes. My little Nachtmusik killed that very same Venomoth, with the aid of a sandstream that is.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow, NU. I've seen some PAers use Venomoth with skill, including you, Ink. Smogon is a bit of a bullshit site sometimes. Is it considered the Smashboards of Pokémon?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ah, it's not flying, that's why ice shard didn't work

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow, NU. I've seen some PAers use Venomoth with skill, including you, Ink. Smogon is a bit of a bullshit site sometimes. Is it considered the Smashboards of Pokémon?

Basically yes

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Basically yes

but with less complete bullshit and assholery

btw rockin I've had the grass badge for like a month and a half and mushroom never posted it could you do that for me?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There a good many who have beaten me oddly enough, despite my recent successes

Ohtsam, Chen, TyphoidG, RedMageDarion oh god who else

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Everyone except me.

Bastard!
    Sucker Punching people, that ain't right.

You could add my 4 badges (in my sig) to the OP also.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, it is the grass gym. Though from all the posts I've seen its certainly a tough grass gym!

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    There a good many who have beaten me oddly enough, despite my recent successes

Ohtsam, Chen, TyphoidG, RedMageDarion oh god who else

Lucario ripped into your team like a knife through warm butter
    But now that you've changed up your team a bit if I faced you now I'd probably get my ass handed to me

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Everyone except me.

Bastard!

Oh ho you're not the only one. I'm a classy grassy trainer, baby, I'll give you an' anyone else a run for their money

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    c02yc02y Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not in the first post as well. :(

Also, battle anyone?

c02y on
    I have badges, yes I do! I have badges, how about you?
    badges.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    c02y wrote: »
    Yeah same

MastaP on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I beat Faustum too.

I also beat Mushroom Pie and quovadis.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What level are the gym leader's pokes?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    What level are the gym leader's pokes?

becuase of wifi we're all scaled to lvl 100

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Also, battle anyone?
    Lets Fight!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Also, battle anyone?
    Lets Fight!

Alright! I'll hop on wifi right now!

c02y on
    badges.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    omg that was insane. @_@

confuse hax hated me in the end!! Great game!!

c02y on
    badges.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh fuck YES!
    Are you Outraged by the result of our battle c02y? AHAHAHAH
    Suffer my Puns!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I just corrected a mistake on the useless facts section (about Japanese names), and added the people that told me needed to be added, as well as their badges.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add you, Ink, don't know why I missed your post. But I fixed that problem, you are in now.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh fuck YES!
    Are you Outraged by the result of our battle c02y? AHAHAHAH
    Suffer my Puns!

I'm outraged by your pun!! But seriously, I don't think I've ever had a battle based on so much luck from both sides. :P

c02y on
    badges.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Grass gym is ready and open for all rematches and new matches.

Title of thread needs more pokemon.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    kabuki64kabuki64 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yay found the new thread, I agree Poket Monsters sounds like they wear jeans or something, anyways I'll be on tonight for challenges and what have you.

kabuki64 on
    Poké FC: 0516 4736 9808
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, Faustum, hey, I don't need your sympathy. I was thinking last night and forgot that Cacturne has Sucker Punch which would have owned Gengar and ended the match. Now I want a rematch to fix my shattered pride, perhaps in an hour or so.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Chen wrote: »
    Hey, Faustum, hey, I don't need your sympathy. I was thinking last night and forgot that Cacturne has Sucker Punch which would have owned Gengar and ended the match. Now I want a rematch to fix my shattered pride, perhaps in an hour or so.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said I was thinking you were going to use Hypnosis, which is why I didn't use Sucker Punch (I gambled and lost that one, and my final 28% chance of dodging your Hidden Power didnt work)

You still won, I lost, so thats that :P I'll gladly fight you again though, but sadly I think this time you might lead with someone else to prevent Jolteon from getting Fortunata'd...

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    All right, I'm ready to rock with my OU-lite team.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Anyone up for a battle?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sure. Standard clauses? FC: 1633 1499 9731

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah. Going online now.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Connection problem, let's try again.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Swampert is already asleep, so no yawn, but whatever.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png