Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

1567810

Posts

  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved, loved, loved this.
    But the endgame, when it just becomes shotgun city was just... ridiculous for me.
    I'm decently-skilled in most shooters but here I just kept dying and dying. Especially at the very end when it's a one-shot brrrrrpt kill.

    Still, tons of fun, and I'll definitely give this another go, but I died so many times at the end that finishing the game was more attrition than fun. So weird.
    Yes. I died very few times throughout the game, but the end took me multiple days and easily over 30 restarts to finish. Shit was unexpected to say the least.

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Yes. I died very few times throughout the game, but the end took me multiple days and easily over 30 restarts to finish. Shit was unexpected to say the least.

    That makes me feel better... That last sequence... guh..
    Poke over cover for a seco-- DIE.
    Switch to another crat-- DIE

    And then...
    Unlike (I guess) the majority, I rarely used Nathan's melee combat. I found I could pick people off from a distance quite easily... But suddenly you have to use melee to drop the boss? Especially after the last 10 minutes specifically taught you to not go remotely near a guy with a laser-guided shottie?

    Fuck it. Uncharted is still an amazing game... I just felt like shit deluxe after retry no. 99999

    guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Yes. I died very few times throughout the game, but the end took me multiple days and easily over 30 restarts to finish. Shit was unexpected to say the least.

    That makes me feel better... That last sequence... guh..
    Poke over cover for a seco-- DIE.
    Switch to another crat-- DIE

    And then...
    Unlike (I guess) the majority, I rarely used Nathan's melee combat. I found I could pick people off from a distance quite easily... But suddenly you have to use melee to drop the boss? Especially after the last 10 minutes specifically taught you to not go remotely near a guy with a laser-guided shottie?

    Fuck it. Uncharted is still an amazing game... I just felt like shit deluxe after retry no. 99999
    you did get the pattern of the boss, right? he shoots in specific, predictable ways, so as long as you're careful you can spend plenty of time taking out the other dudes and taking cover again before navarro comes back out with the shotgun. another trick - in the first couple of sections of the boss fight you can shoot out navarro's cover very quickly yourself. he'll scurry off and you can relax while you take out the grunts.

    also - the melee at the end of the game was pretty much a series of QTE's and nothing else. as long as you got that you had to charge for it between his first few attacks, it was just a matter of trial and error. terribly frustrating place for it? yes. but it wasn't really that difficult.

    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Yes. I died very few times throughout the game, but the end took me multiple days and easily over 30 restarts to finish. Shit was unexpected to say the least.

    That makes me feel better... That last sequence... guh..
    Poke over cover for a seco-- DIE.
    Switch to another crat-- DIE

    And then...
    Unlike (I guess) the majority, I rarely used Nathan's melee combat. I found I could pick people off from a distance quite easily... But suddenly you have to use melee to drop the boss? Especially after the last 10 minutes specifically taught you to not go remotely near a guy with a laser-guided shottie?

    Fuck it. Uncharted is still an amazing game... I just felt like shit deluxe after retry no. 99999
    you did get the pattern of the boss, right? he shoots in specific, predictable ways, so as long as you're careful you can spend plenty of time taking out the other dudes and taking cover again before navarro comes back out with the shotgun. another trick - in the first couple of sections of the boss fight you can shoot out navarro's cover very quickly yourself. he'll scurry off and you can relax while you take out the grunts.

    also - the melee at the end of the game was pretty much a series of QTE's and nothing else. as long as you got that you had to charge for it between his first few attacks, it was just a matter of trial and error. terribly frustrating place for it? yes. but it wasn't really that difficult.
    I picked up on Navarro's pattern after the first couple of attempts. All the dying was mostly a matter of me needing more ammo, and having to run out of cover to get it.

    The end QTE was expected, I was used to how the game put you into them by that point. What I didn't know was that I needed to charge him, I actually figured it out accidentally when I ran around the cover...

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Yes. I died very few times throughout the game, but the end took me multiple days and easily over 30 restarts to finish. Shit was unexpected to say the least.

    That makes me feel better... That last sequence... guh..
    Poke over cover for a seco-- DIE.
    Switch to another crat-- DIE

    And then...
    Unlike (I guess) the majority, I rarely used Nathan's melee combat. I found I could pick people off from a distance quite easily... But suddenly you have to use melee to drop the boss? Especially after the last 10 minutes specifically taught you to not go remotely near a guy with a laser-guided shottie?

    Fuck it. Uncharted is still an amazing game... I just felt like shit deluxe after retry no. 99999
    you did get the pattern of the boss, right? he shoots in specific, predictable ways, so as long as you're careful you can spend plenty of time taking out the other dudes and taking cover again before navarro comes back out with the shotgun. another trick - in the first couple of sections of the boss fight you can shoot out navarro's cover very quickly yourself. he'll scurry off and you can relax while you take out the grunts.

    also - the melee at the end of the game was pretty much a series of QTE's and nothing else. as long as you got that you had to charge for it between his first few attacks, it was just a matter of trial and error. terribly frustrating place for it? yes. but it wasn't really that difficult.
    I picked up on Navarro's pattern after the first couple of attempts. All the dying was mostly a matter of me needing more ammo, and having to run out of cover to get it.

    The end QTE was expected, I was used to how the game put you into them by that point. What I didn't know was that I needed to charge him, I actually figured it out accidentally when I ran around the cover...
    I was in the same camp as Negrodamus. I figured dude's pattern, and the QTE was no problem, I just had no idea, again, like Negrodamus, that I had to rush Navarro for another QTE.

    That and I kept dying earlier just when ammo ran out or if my cover disintegrated. Difficult? No. Frustrating, hooo boy.

    guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was in the same camp as Negrodamus. I figured dude's pattern, and the QTE was no problem, I just had no idea, again, like Negrodamus, that I had to rush Navarro for another QTE.

    That and I kept dying earlier just when ammo ran out or if my cover disintegrated. Difficult? No. Frustrating, hooo boy.

    Heh I didn't have that problem. I charged him right away. I think because Uncharted feels so much like a movie...
    that I knew Drake's finishing blow had to be up close and personal. That and I like to charge people and beat the snot out of them.

    The boss fight was very easy on normal, challenging on hard, and frustrating on crushing.

    greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I bought this game about 2 or 3 weeks ago and have been holding off playing for this patch.

    All I can say is wow. Fucking awesome.
    Lots of game mechanics are obvious blatant copy over from gears, yet they are executed just as well, if not better. The story is mediocre, yet the characters are so awesome. It's almost impossible to not like them.

    Good times, I am having great fun with this.

    Smashism on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i'd say the story is less 'mediocre' and more perfectly generic.

    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i'd say the story is less 'mediocre' and more perfectly generic.

    Yeah its definitely a bit campy, but in a fun, punch the terrorist in the face and get the girl, all in an hour and 25 minutes, kind of way.

    Smashism on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know a game is good when no one wants to sell theirs. Having a hard time finding a used copy. I tried callen on this one going for $30, but the guy said he already had an offer (up from 30) at $45... wtf mate.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    Lots of game mechanics are obvious blatant copy over from gears

    Yeah, the Gears influence is obvious. There's one major reason why I will always prefer Uncharted over Gears. One game is all, "You're a grizzly badass former convict/space marine trudging through the post-apocalyptic landscape while slaughtering aliens and picking up the pieces of your shattered life." And the other is just, "Hey guys! Let's go on an adventure!"

    Dirty on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted has, by far, my favorite use of Gears of War-style shooting. Also one of my favorite melee systems in a (primarily) shooting game. I prefer the climbing elements in PoP and TR:L, but this game also does it fantastically well, and I do believe that this is still the best-looking game currently on sale.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yep. Another thing that really sets Uncharted apart are the incredible cut scenes. I was talking about the last three big trip-A titles with my little brother while I was playing GTA IV the other day, about the great acting and writing, and I tell him GTA IV's cutscenes are better than MGS4. He thinks I'm joking.

    "MGS4 did action better during its cutscenes, but when it comes to reflecting human emotion or reactions, when it comes to writing and performances, GTA IV beats it. Apart from the anime-style action in MGS, the only other thing GTA lacks is the character models. They sometimes come across as 3D puppets, not real people."

    The conversation went on, of course, to include Uncharted, which I had to put above GTA and MGS. It has the boggling production values of MGS, but the focused writing and excellent delivery of GTA.
    Yes it's a campy, textbook b-movie adventure story. And I like those stories. At least I ain't bored of 'em (yet). And Elena better be back in Uncharted 2.

    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uncharted's script was fantastic.
    Hilarious, and so refreshingly natural. Yeah, the plot's swashbuckling camp, but as someone said earlier, it beats constipated, middle-aged alpha-males in SPAAAAACE.

    Tell me there's a sequel planned.

    I need more Nathan, I need more Sully.

    guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, a sequel is 100% going to happen - it's been said officially, though I'm not about to go digging around for a link to it.

    Another feather in Uncharted's cap, outside of the initial load of the game, is the complete absence of any load screen. Even if you skip a cutscene that may have been used to mask a load, it instantly plops you right back into the game.

    It's pretty crazy, really. Go through an area, kill twenty guys and get offed yourself, and you're instantly back at the beginning with all enemies respawned - and no load time. Awesome.

    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just dug the little touches.
    Like if it's taking a while to pick-off that one last pirate hiding behind a crate, the second you finally kill him, Nathan whispers a quiet "...see yeah"

    And I only heard him say that once the entire game! How natural does that feel? And dialogue is rarely repeated (see the latest RE5 video with Chris' partner... ugh). Even if you have to retry a section, Elena will say something different. That attention to detail sold the game on me.

    guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just like how you never have to worry about your companion dying.

    And how they will kill mans for you or draw fire.

    And how Elena will take a grenade in the face and shrug it off.

    You can learn something from Elena, Ashley from RE4 and Every Stupid Escort Character Ever.

    Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I actually had Elena die on me once. I was really surprised.

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously? Wow. What difficulty were you on?

    'cause like I said, I've seen her take a direct hit from a grenade launcher in the face and she just shrugged it off.

    Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah the initial gameplay is so similar to gears. But really, stop and pop is the new trend in gaming, damnit, I won't be one to complain. Thanks you western shooters for inspiring Resident Evil 4 which inspired Gears of War which inspired Uncharted. Whew.
    Yeah and the story is really starting to shape up for me, still a bit predictable, but like I said the characters are really the major draw in the story. They are just so freaking likable, you can't help it.

    One thing though, is it me or does Nathan hold is gun at an odd angle in relation to the reticle? I can't pin my finger on it, but something is slightly off there.

    Smashism on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It was on my recent play through of hard, I believe at when you first arrive at the Monastery with her.
    When you are going to rescue Sully, right after you are introduced to the laser sight enemies. You enter a courtyard and then the entrance you took is exploded closed. You are supposed to take cover near this fountain and duke it out with the enemies but I said fuck it, and ran to the left up the stairs, took out the mans over there, and then shimmied my way onto the second floor. When I was up there, it cut over to her and she died due to a grenade. I think it was because I had gotten too far from her and didn't do the fight the way it was intended.

    P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just dug the little touches.
    Like if it's taking a while to pick-off that one last pirate hiding behind a crate, the second you finally kill him, Nathan whispers a quiet "...see yeah"

    And I only heard him say that once the entire game! How natural does that feel? And dialogue is rarely repeated (see the latest RE5 video with Chris' partner... ugh). Even if you have to retry a section, Elena will say something different. That attention to detail sold the game on me.

    This.

    I was picking some guys off with the sniper rifle and i pinged the last guy right in the fore-head and Nathan just goes, "Ouch..." and chuckles.

    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Little touches" can't make a bad game good, but they truly elevate a good game into something incredible. Like in Assassin's Creed (yes, I liked AC) when Altair will reach out his hand and gently move people aside to make his way through a crowd. The way letters explode from a mailbox when you plow through it in GTA IV. The way Queen Mercedes, monarch of the Fairy people gives her fingertips a cursory dab of the tongue after she eats a bit of lamb in Odin Sphere. Adorable.

    ...what was the very first game I noticed somethin' like that in... Something that didn't need to be there from a design or gameplay standpoint, but added to the experience...? I think it was the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I'm pretty sure he was the first game character I ever saw who had an animation for 'oh no, I'm on the very edge of this corner and I may fall off!', and an animation of 'I'm bored, let's get this show on the road' if you leave the controller alone for a minute.

    It's really kind of embarrassing now, when I think of how amazed I was when I saw Sonic teeter at the edge of a platform in terror. Heheh. Teeter terror.

    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I just dug the little touches.
    Like if it's taking a while to pick-off that one last pirate hiding behind a crate, the second you finally kill him, Nathan whispers a quiet "...see yeah"

    And I only heard him say that once the entire game! How natural does that feel? And dialogue is rarely repeated (see the latest RE5 video with Chris' partner... ugh). Even if you have to retry a section, Elena will say something different. That attention to detail sold the game on me.

    This.

    I was picking some guys off with the sniper rifle and i pinged the last guy right in the fore-head and Nathan just goes, "Ouch..." and chuckles.
    Yes, there are so many great small touches. I didn't realize how smooth the loading/restarts were until I read Chance's post. When I saw Nathan's jeans get wet in the demo, I knew the game would be amazing.

    I'm trying to wait a few more weeks to playthrough the story again at a higher difficulty, just so it feels a bit fresher. Anyone know if there is a way to turn off all the early game tutorial prompts?

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If it exists I haven't found it (or looked for it). It's only there for the three-minute fight on the boat.

    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    If it exists I haven't found it (or looked for it). It's only there for the three-minute fight on the boat.
    Hmm.
    I swear I remember some prompts during the first cave section. Maybe it was the prompts for button presses at the doors that I'm thinking of.

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    "Little touches" can't make a bad game good, but they truly elevate a good game into something incredible. Like in Assassin's Creed (yes, I liked AC) when Altair will reach out his hand and gently move people aside to make his way through a crowd. The way letters explode from a mailbox when you plow through it in GTA IV. The way Queen Mercedes, monarch of the Fairy people gives her fingertips a cursory dab of the tongue after she eats a bit of lamb in Odin Sphere. Adorable.

    ...what was the very first game I noticed somethin' like that in... Something that didn't need to be there from a design or gameplay standpoint, but added to the experience...? I think it was the original Sonic the Hedgehog. I'm pretty sure he was the first game character I ever saw who had an animation for 'oh no, I'm on the very edge of this corner and I may fall off!', and an animation of 'I'm bored, let's get this show on the road' if you leave the controller alone for a minute.

    It's really kind of embarrassing now, when I think of how amazed I was when I saw Sonic teeter at the edge of a platform in terror. Heheh. Teeter terror.

    Chance, that entire stream-of-conscious post was amazing.
    (And I liked AC too)

    guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    I'm trying to wait a few more weeks to playthrough the story again at a higher difficulty, just so it feels a bit fresher. Anyone know if there is a way to turn off all the early game tutorial prompts?

    Besides the boat there aren't tutorial prompts, but there is puzzle clues. (Like drake looking at the wheel you have to turn or whatever) You can turn them off in the options.

    greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had a feeling when I saw this thread bounced that the Trophies had come out. Cool. I like the medals system already, but being able to show my friends what I've done made me hold out until this patch came out. I played through once on Easy, so I'm looking forward to replaying it again on Normal.

    I will have to echo what's said above about the overall feel of the game, though. In many ways there's nothing new about the game, but it does everything so well that you just really get into it. You actually cheer for Nathan when you're going through and you'd like to have a drink with the guy, even though he's just doing what you tell him to anyway.

    EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    I'm trying to wait a few more weeks to playthrough the story again at a higher difficulty, just so it feels a bit fresher. Anyone know if there is a way to turn off all the early game tutorial prompts?

    Besides the boat there aren't tutorial prompts, but there is puzzle clues. (Like drake looking at the wheel you have to turn or whatever) You can turn them off in the options.

    There are prompts like "Shoot the lock (idiot)" and "Press X to kick the door" in some sections of the game. However, they usually only happen if you're relatively stuck.

    EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    I'm trying to wait a few more weeks to playthrough the story again at a higher difficulty, just so it feels a bit fresher. Anyone know if there is a way to turn off all the early game tutorial prompts?

    Besides the boat there aren't tutorial prompts, but there is puzzle clues. (Like drake looking at the wheel you have to turn or whatever) You can turn them off in the options.
    Yes, those are what I was referring to. Thanks.

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Whole bunches.

    Chance, that entire stream-of-conscious post was amazing.
    (And I liked AC too)

    Heh sorry, 'concise' is one thing I can't do.
    Cept for that sentence, right there - and this one.

    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been waiting months for the trophy patch to come out before I buy this game to replay it. I had only rented it before. For all the reasons already mentioned this game it just so damn awesome. I couldn't get into the gears story that much, but this just sucked me in. My family would sit and watch me play just because this game looks so good and the characters. This is the first game I've ever played where I felt like I was in/playing a movie.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh the trophy support is out, Nice! I absolutely love uncharted, i recently restarted on hard but i don't mind re restarting for trophies. Its just a nice excuse to replay it.

    On the subject of little touches, i love the small things when it comes to Nathans animations. Like how he sort of flinches if his cover takes fire, or when he stumbles after a jump.

    EDIT:
    Chance wrote: »
    Yes, a sequel is 100% going to happen - it's been said officially, though I'm not about to go digging around for a link to it.

    http://www.monstersandcritics.com/gaming/ps3/news/article_1384506.php/Uncharted_sequel_confirmed_by_Naughty_Dog

    Found the link, they've 100% confirmed the sequel and claim its already well underway. :D:D

    Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like Unchartered, I really do, but the *plot spoiler*
    RAWR FUCKING ZOMBIES!
    really threw me off, I was like
    "Oh great, they went for the boring, shambling humanoid enemy that charges at you"

    Other than that, holy shit.

    Waka Laka on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    One thing though, is it me or does Nathan hold is gun at an odd angle in relation to the reticle? I can't pin my finger on it, but something is slightly off there.

    I played the demo at Gamestop, and noticed that he does kind of hold the gun pointed at an angle away from the reticle. It threw me off, because I'm so used to HYPER-TACTICAL SHOOTING STANCES in my games.

    But it's fun as fuck. I can look past it.
    So bought, as soon as I get a PS3.

    043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Smashism wrote: »
    One thing though, is it me or does Nathan hold is gun at an odd angle in relation to the reticle? I can't pin my finger on it, but something is slightly off there.

    I played the demo at Gamestop, and noticed that he does kind of hold the gun pointed at an angle away from the reticle. It threw me off, because I'm so used to HYPER-TACTICAL SHOOTING STANCES in my games.

    Yeah it always seemed off to me which took some getting used to when blind firing. But then I just got used to putting the guy I wanted dead in the center of the screen.

    greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I like Unchartered, I really do, but the *plot spoiler*
    RAWR FUCKING ZOMBIES!
    really threw me off, I was like
    "Oh great, they went for the boring, shambling humanoid enemy that charges at you"

    Other than that, holy shit.
    Yes. That shit was entirely uncalled for.
    Even though something was there in a few cutscenes early on, I didn't expect them to go quasi-zombie with it

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The purpose of the troublesome endgame component is threefold:
    1) it ties into the Indiana Jones inspiration of the series. If you'll recall, every Indiana Jones movie has a supernatural element at some point (The Ark, the Grail et cetera). Let us not speak of IV and the science-fiction element which is arguably also a religious element.

    2) the fact that this supernatural element essentially makes El Dorado a weapon of unimaginable power turns Nate's motivation on its head, changing him from selfish, charming treasure hunter to selfless, charming Protector of Mankind. (Zero to hero.)

    3) Most important - fighting the monsters/demons whatever you want to call them is The Switch-Up. Not just in terms of plot, but of gameplay. After spending the entire game exclusively using the cover mechanic or Brutal combos, you are now expected to survive while running-and-gunning. It's a blow against boredom, and frankly I think the game's better for it.

    That's right, goddamnit, I said it.

    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    The purpose of the troublesome endgame component is threefold:
    1) it ties into the Indiana Jones inspiration of the series. If you'll recall, every Indiana Jones movie has a supernatural element at some point (The Ark, the Grail et cetera). Let us not speak of IV and the science-fiction element which is arguably also a religious element.

    2) the fact that this supernatural element essentially makes El Dorado a weapon of unimaginable power turns Nate's motivation on its head, changing him from selfish, charming treasure hunter to selfless, charming Protector of Mankind. (Zero to hero.)

    3) Most important - fighting the monsters/demons whatever you want to call them is The Switch-Up. Not just in terms of plot, but of gameplay. After spending the entire game exclusively using the cover mechanic or Brutal combos, you are now expected to survive while running-and-gunning. It's a blow against boredom, and frankly I think the game's better for it.

    That's right, goddamnit, I said it.
    Well shit.
    I do agree that the change of pace was a kick in the ass for the game. When they first showed up and flooded that room for a good 3 minutes, it was hectic.
    You made a good point there, and I am now neutral on the subject.

    Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
Sign In or Register to comment.