Options

I am [chat]

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Plus, mathematics is itself a theory with which people can argue and raise objection.
    Valid objections?
    a) No, but when has that ever stopped _J_
    b) _J_, mathematics is not a theory, you stupid twit

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Isn't the actual meaning just a more important someone's meaning?
    The word was given to the meaning though, not the other way around. That more important person didn't wake up one night and shout "ALTRUISM" and then decide "well, that sounds like it would make a nice word, now all I need to do is find something to associate it with".
    ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from French altruisme, from Italian altrui ‘somebody else,’ from Latin alteri huic ‘to this other.’

So you’re wrong. It was a process, spread through several languages. Altruism existed as a concept before somebody gave it a name.

That's what I said. The word was given to the meaning - altruism is just a label for a concept.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    That is a dark world. I don't pretend selfishness and pragmatism don't work. I just hope altruism is out there somewhere too. Is that so bad?

I think that will depend on your definition of altruism. You can certainly argue that true altruism doesn't exist, because people tend to choose their course of action rationally, so you can argue that they always choose the course from which they stand to gain something. For example, if you give a homeless guy 5 bucks, you could argue that was not truly altruistic, because you get to feel good about yourself doing something good for another person. I think this argument is a bit silly, but I really don't think it's an important distinction. Whether we choose to call it altruism or not, the fact still remains that there are people who do act outside of their immediate material self-interest, and that's good enough for me.

It's a stupid, meaningless distinction which serves no purpose.

It may serve no purpose, but you can't call it "meaningless" as that's the exact meaning of "altruism". Either change the definition of altruism or make up a new word. As it stands, the distinction exists.

Altruism is "an attitude or way of behaving marked by unselfish concern for the welfare of others". Saying "Oh, she's not really altruistic, she's just doing it because other people's suffering makes her unhappy" is stupid, because that's what concern for others is. That's the definition of compassion.

Not really. I give people cough drops because I can't stand people coughing. I'm happier when they stop coughing, so for some woman to help someone because she can't stand people being unhappy is still unselfish. She can't stand unhappy people, so she alters their situation as she sees fit and then feels better. That's not entirely unselfish.

There's a distinction between not standing unhappy people (i.e. unhappy people irritate you), and not standing people being unhappy (i.e. you empathise with people's unhappiness), but I'll assume you meant the latter.
    So: Yes, really. Altruism is "unselfish concern for the welfare of others". Concern, contextually, is "feeling of worry, compassion, sympathy, or regard for somebody or something". Compassion, sympathy are "awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it", "a feeling or an expression of pity or sorrow for the distress of another". It's really very simple. You people are trying to replace an actual, working definition with a non-existent one, based upon some kind of ridiculous concept you have of people performing helpful acts and then feeling completely emotionless about it. Commiseration for the distress of others is considered, by commonsensical people, to be altruistic, by the clear-cut definition of all words involved.

No, we're all discussing the actual meaning of the actual word, not the fantasy one you think we're talking about.

None of us have even brought up "emotion" - we're talking about motivation and personal gain. You again fail to address that your own quoted definition includes the word "unselfish". I've already explained the "clear cut" definition of this word, but you apparently don't agree with it.

Sucks to be you.

:roll:

Alright, let's take a look at this word, 'unselfish', shall we?

un·self·ish
    adj.
    Generous or altruistic.

Gee. I wonder what that might mean?

The fact of the matter is, Drez, that out of some misguided sense of precision, you have, by selecting only very specific word definitions and ignoring all others, reduced the definition of "altruism" in your own mind so much that it no longer describes anything at all. This is pedantry at it's height. You see that conjunction up there? That's an "or". It means that the words on either side of it are alternatives. 'Unselfish' can mean either 'generous' or 'altruistic'.

Let's look at another definition of 'unselfish':

un·self·ish
    –adjective
    not selfish; disinterested; generous; altruistic.

Notice how this definition is slightly different from the one above? Yeah. You might want to ruminate on that.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Plus, mathematics is itself a theory with which people can argue and raise objection.
    Valid objections?
    Mathematics is theory. Any mathematician would say the same, dude. I think it's silly to argue over a concept like "infinity" but in essence math is just theory.

What else would it be? "Fact"? "Fact" doesn't really exist in science. The highest you go is non-unprovable, excessively tested and pondered theory.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    If we were all in a supermarket I would so be on the ground kicking and screaming throwing a giant tantrum.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What the hell am I doing in a dictionary debate, anyway?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm pleased to see that Senj has pwned _J_ at semantics.

Edit: Senj has also pwned Drez at semantics.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'd be buying some beer

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought math held the only philosophical truths...

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Isn't the actual meaning just a more important someone's meaning?
    The word was given to the meaning though, not the other way around. That more important person didn't wake up one night and shout "ALTRUISM" and then decide "well, that sounds like it would make a nice word, now all I need to do is find something to associate it with".
    ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from French altruisme, from Italian altrui ‘somebody else,’ from Latin alteri huic ‘to this other.’

So you’re wrong. It was a process, spread through several languages. Altruism existed as a concept before somebody gave it a name.
    That's what I said. The word was given to the meaning - altruism is just a label for a concept.
    Whoops, I misread your comments. :oops:

Still, like I said, it’s a process.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That is a dark world. I don't pretend selfishness and pragmatism don't work. I just hope altruism is out there somewhere too. Is that so bad?

I think that will depend on your definition of altruism. You can certainly argue that true altruism doesn't exist, because people tend to choose their course of action rationally, so you can argue that they always choose the course from which they stand to gain something. For example, if you give a homeless guy 5 bucks, you could argue that was not truly altruistic, because you get to feel good about yourself doing something good for another person. I think this argument is a bit silly, but I really don't think it's an important distinction. Whether we choose to call it altruism or not, the fact still remains that there are people who do act outside of their immediate material self-interest, and that's good enough for me.

It's a stupid, meaningless distinction which serves no purpose.

It may serve no purpose, but you can't call it "meaningless" as that's the exact meaning of "altruism". Either change the definition of altruism or make up a new word. As it stands, the distinction exists.

Altruism is "an attitude or way of behaving marked by unselfish concern for the welfare of others". Saying "Oh, she's not really altruistic, she's just doing it because other people's suffering makes her unhappy" is stupid, because that's what concern for others is. That's the definition of compassion.

Not really. I give people cough drops because I can't stand people coughing. I'm happier when they stop coughing, so for some woman to help someone because she can't stand people being unhappy is still unselfish. She can't stand unhappy people, so she alters their situation as she sees fit and then feels better. That's not entirely unselfish.

There's a distinction between not standing unhappy people (i.e. unhappy people irritate you), and not standing people being unhappy (i.e. you empathise with people's unhappiness), but I'll assume you meant the latter.
    So: Yes, really. Altruism is "unselfish concern for the welfare of others". Concern, contextually, is "feeling of worry, compassion, sympathy, or regard for somebody or something". Compassion, sympathy are "awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it", "a feeling or an expression of pity or sorrow for the distress of another". It's really very simple. You people are trying to replace an actual, working definition with a non-existent one, based upon some kind of ridiculous concept you have of people performing helpful acts and then feeling completely emotionless about it. Commiseration for the distress of others is considered, by commonsensical people, to be altruistic, by the clear-cut definition of all words involved.

No, we're all discussing the actual meaning of the actual word, not the fantasy one you think we're talking about.

None of us have even brought up "emotion" - we're talking about motivation and personal gain. You again fail to address that your own quoted definition includes the word "unselfish". I've already explained the "clear cut" definition of this word, but you apparently don't agree with it.

Sucks to be you.

:roll:

Alright, let's take a look at this word, 'unselfish', shall we?

un·self·ish
    adj.
    Generous or altruistic.

Gee. I wonder what that might mean?

The fact of the matter is, Drez, that out of some misguided sense of precision, you have, by selecting only very specific word definitions and ignoring all others, reduced the definition of "altruism" in your own mind so much that it no longer describes anything at all. This is pedantry at it's height. You see that conjunction up there? That's an "or". It means that the words on either side of it are alternatives. 'Unselfish' can mean either 'generous' or 'altruistic'.

Let's look at another definition of 'unselfish':

un·self·ish
    –adjective
    not selfish; disinterested; generous; altruistic.

Notice how this definition is slightly different from the one above? Yeah. You might want to ruminate on that.

No thanks. I already know what altruism means. It means "acting out of concern for others without regard to the self". Honestly, RBB, there's really not much more I can do to help educate you on this. The journey, I now leave to you. Have fun with that.

Drez on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2007
    I've removed everything you have correct. The remaining two areas you don't appear to have attempted.

I think I can do the assigning just fine, but I'm not sure what formula to use. Quadratic? If yes, how do I make b a negative?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valid objections?
    Mathematics is theory. Any mathematician would say the same, dude. I think it's silly to argue over a concept like "infinity" but in essence math is just theory.

What else would it be? "Fact"? "Fact" doesn't really exist in science. The highest you go is non-unprovable, excessively tested and pondered theory.

Maths isn't science. FAIL.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I’ve heard of people deriving happiness.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'd probably be in the checkout line screaming at the teller for calling a baguette a croissant.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You'd probably be happiest if you didn't dwell on truth too much.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Maths and the other analytic systems contain propositions which can be proven, so we can know things to be true. If that's what you mean?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

pwned me at semantics? He said that math is not theory. This is absolutely, 100% false.

I'm not arguing that every objection to mathematical theory is valid, however.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Valid objections?

Science isn't a theory either.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Why the heck are we in a supermarket anyhow?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Valid objections?

Go ask a few mathematicians "is math fact or theory?" and see what they say.

Drez on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You guys are fricking hilarious

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    I've removed everything you have correct. The remaining two areas you don't appear to have attempted.

I think I can do the assigning just fine, but I'm not sure what formula to use. Quadratic? If yes, how do I make b a negative?
    Put a minus sign in front of it

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey, you guys still babbling about altruism?

Yeah?

Ok. I'll come back later.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey guys, what if we all lived together in an apartment?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Why the heck are we in a supermarket anyhow?

Sale on toiletries.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Valid objections?

Question is vague and unclear.

Rephrase.

EDIT: Also, doesn't relate to the fact that it is not science.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Hey guys, what if we all lived in an apartment?

I call top bunk.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Maths and the other analytic systems contain propositions which can be proven, so we can know things to be true. If that's what you mean?
    Yes. I meant this.
    Here's my personal philosophy tidbit I have been thinking about.
    The only truths lie in paradoxes. That is a paradox which is a truth which is a paradox ad infinitum.
    Cool eh?
    I'm sure it has been done before but I was thinking about how cyclic all the universal questions are while sitting in lecture.

• Options
    edited November 2007

We'd be slotted in prime time.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Drez: I take it we're done here?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That's silly, they should be integrating it.

N00bs.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

pwned me at semantics? He said that math is not theory. This is absolutely, 100% false.

I'm not arguing that every objection to mathematical theory is valid, however.

Right, I'm saying you're wrong. Mathematics isn't a theory. It's a system for tracking the particular abstract concept "numbers". There are theories within that system, lots of them, but it's not a theory. Science also isn't a theory, it's a specific method of inquiry which has resulted in the discovery of many laws and the supposition of many theories. Senj pwns you and _J_ at semantics.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valid objections?

Science isn't a theory either.

It certainly isn't facts, thats for sure.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Valid objections?

Question is vague and unclear.

Rephrase.

Okay, ask them if they would call math "theory". You can phrase the question any way you like as long as the core question revolves around that query and elicits a "yes" or "no" response.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Foxy_Roxy wrote: »
    It certainly isn't facts, thats for sure.

See the post above, where I tell you what science is, because apparently you don't know what the word means either.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Yes. I meant this.
    Here's my personal philosophy tidbit I have been thinking about.
    The only truths lie in paradoxes. That is a paradox which is a truth which is a paradox ad infinitum.
    Cool eh?
    I'm sure it has been done before but I was thinking about how cyclic all the universal questions are while sitting in lecture.
    Fucking bottom page.

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Bed now, [chat] tomorrow. G'night.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I call top bunk.

I call top.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's a formalized collection of axiomatic systems, you twits

Senjutsu on
This discussion has been closed.