Options

Hollywood writers on strike?

1141516171820»

• Options
    GaineGaine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I saw something interesting on Neil Gaiman's blog:
    ...a phone call from my agent letting me know that United Artists was the first studio to sign a deal with the Writer's Guild, and that if I wanted to write a film for them, or sell them the rights to a book, I could. Here's hoping that a lot of other studios follow.

I did a little digging and comingsoon.net did a story on it as well. Apparently it's only an interim deal similar to Worldwide Pants, but this opens the door for a lot of other smaller studios to start getting new material out there.

Gaine on
    obamaprime1.jpg
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Gaine wrote: »
    So I saw something interesting on Neil Gaiman's blog:
    ...a phone call from my agent letting me know that United Artists was the first studio to sign a deal with the Writer's Guild, and that if I wanted to write a film for them, or sell them the rights to a book, I could. Here's hoping that a lot of other studios follow.

I did a little digging and comingsoon.net did a story on it as well. Apparently it's only an interim deal similar to Worldwide Pants, but this opens the door for a lot of other smaller studios to start getting new material out there.

I'd like to know the plan details, honestly. I'd like to know what is getting the individual studios to bite.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    If a show was actually put on, without using the writers or scabs, just a very plain ceremony showing the winners, how would it be crossing the picket line to attend? No deal would have been broken. If Conan's show can go on without writers, and with their support, why can an awards ceremony not be supported as well?

Conan's show makes money, awards show do not. What would be the incentive to host an awards show that nobody sees? This is Hollywood afterall.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If a show was actually put on, without using the writers or scabs, just a very plain ceremony showing the winners, how would it be crossing the picket line to attend? No deal would have been broken. If Conan's show can go on without writers, and with their support, why can an awards ceremony not be supported as well?

Conan's show makes money, awards show do not. What would be the incentive to host an awards show that nobody sees? This is Hollywood afterall.

Uh, if it were televised, it would have ads, those make money. If it's a question of viewership, I would think the draw of the "genuine" dialogue from a show not written would exist like it did for Leno and Letterman.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Uh, if it were televised, it would have ads, those make money. If it's a question of viewership, I would think the draw of the "genuine" dialogue from a show not written would exist like it did for Leno and Letterman.

You're missing the point there though, they don't want to do an award show because the ads would make money, and they wouldn't get a cut of it. That would be crossing the picket. What I was saying pissed me off was that they don't want to have an awards ceremony at all, even if the studis arent involved and its not televised, and thats kind of insulting to the awards comittee in my opinion.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DiggDigg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I watched most of "A Daily Show" (7th Jan) on the Comedy Central site. The jokes may not have been as rapid fire as usual but it was funny, and obviously had scripted segments. So what's going on? Who is taking credit for the writing?

I would think that many writers are getting worried at this stage. Shows are returning and coping with the restrictions placed on them. The Golden Globes (which was supposed to be the first key point) has passed without dialogue reopening (as far as I know).

The overall quality of TV will drop dramatically as this continues, but the writers may be underestimating the low expectations of the viewing public. The public is the real force that can put pressure on the studios.

On the bright side, the Family Guy manatees might be released back into the wild.

Digg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You're missing the point there though, they don't want to do an award show because the ads would make money, and they wouldn't get a cut of it. That would be crossing the picket. What I was saying pissed me off was that they don't want to have an awards ceremony at all, even if the studis arent involved and its not televised, and thats kind of insulting to the awards comittee in my opinion.

I'm still not following. Conan is a writer and supporter of the cause(writers don't consider him to be crossing the picket right?), and he has gone back to his show without writers and is making money. If they consider this acceptable, what's wrong with an awards show that doesn't make use of writers and makes money?

Septus on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I'm still not following. Conan is a writer and supporter of the cause(writers don't consider him to be crossing the picket right?), and he has gone back to his show without writers and is making money. If they consider this acceptable, what's wrong with an awards show that doesn't make use of writers and makes money?

conan isn't on strike.... that's the difference. He supports their strike, or so his publicist says, but he's not physically on strike. The writers are, that's why they won't attend a televised, ad driven show

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah. I guess I didn't figure that they'd have a problem with an ad supported show if it did not use their writing, as that's not violating what their problem is with the producers.

Septus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Because you need a script to announce nominees and winners?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's also worth pointing out that SAG is still reminding its members that all late-night shows without an agreement are struck, and they will be crossing a picket line if they decide to appear on them. As far as the GG go, the nominees and presenters collectively decided that they didn't feel comfortable showing up for the show given the circumstances (even if they rejigger the ceremony so that it doesn't have writers this year, the fact remains that normally there would be writers). Couple links.

I don't think the WGA is happy that Conan and others have gone back on the air, but they do other things on their shows than write, and they know that they've all been relatively supportive of the strike (and probably will be supportive on air as well). The alternative is basically asking them to break their contracts and put all the people on their shows out of work, which isn't likely to make the hosts happy, and it'd look like an entirely dick move all around.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1