Options

PCI-E Vs AGP

AftyAfty Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey.

A friend of mine has very generously given me an indefinate loan of his nvidia 8600 as he just upgraded. This is a nice big upgrade from my 6800 but im a bit paranoid about putting it into my computer as i am not sure what my current card is (AGP/PCI-E).

The card i want to put in is PCI-E but how can i check that, it will be ok with my motherboard/my current card is also PCI-E ?

Thanks

Afty on

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If I am not mistaken, all of the 6800 cards are AGP, meaning you have an AGP motherboard and need to upgrade to a PCI-E motherboard. Shouldn't be more than $100.

Just make sure your RAM is compatible. Customer support should be able to help you out with that - if not, just ask us folks in H&A.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    if you're going to be fitting it yourself then you'll just know. the slots are a completely different configuration.

it's not like they're the same shape and you could accidentally put the wrong card in there... they'll either fit or they won't, simple as.

in other words... if you're happy opening the pc, just open it up, pop out your existing gfx card and compare the connectors...

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, if it fits, it's good.

Actually that covers more than one H/A thread.

Doc on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Yeah, if it fits, it's good.

Actually that covers more than one H/A thread.

Niceeeeee

Daemonion on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys :)

Getting drivers now and WOW HUGE RESOLUTION !

Afty on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Daemonion wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken, all of the 6800 cards are AGP, meaning you have an AGP motherboard and need to upgrade to a PCI-E motherboard. Shouldn't be more than $100.

Just make sure your RAM is compatible. Customer support should be able to help you out with that - if not, just ask us folks in H&A.

You are mistaken.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils