As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Essential Windows Programs?

ToothyToothy Registered User regular
Hey I just got a new comp, and I had seen a list of essential computer programs floating around one of the threads in the old forum. The main one I was interested in was one that equalized the volume on MP3s. Does anyone know of something that can do this? I am tired of almost breaking the speakers in my car because of freakishly different volumes.

Toothy on

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    as much as I hate apple I think itunes has a built in thing for that, not sure about whether it will "rewrite" the file so that other players could use it.

I think foobar2000 has that feature, but I've never used that function. Anyway, good luck in your quest for essential software.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Toothy wrote: »
    Hey I just got a new comp, and I had seen a list of essential computer programs floating around one of the threads in the old forum. The main one I was interested in was one that equalized the volume on MP3s. Does anyone know of something that can do this? I am tired of almost breaking the speakers in my car because of freakishly different volumes.

I know what you are referring to, but I am drawing a total blank. I think it was mentioned in Maximum PC sometime in the last few months. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The one that I use is "mp3 gain" (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    IrfanView with the all-plugins pack, and HijackThis! I usually also install the windows version of vim, because I'm silly.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »
    The one that I use is "mp3 gain" (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/)

I think that is the one I was thinking of too.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some other assorted little tools that I really like (excluding, of course, the essentials of anti-virus, etc)

Space Monger, really easy visual representation of hard drive space. Don't bother with the new one, the free old one is fine.
    rbtray - minimize any program to the system tray or make any program stay on top of all other windows.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, also: The Windows XP Powertoys are pretty good. Most of those, I will admit I don't use, but TweakUI is great for having pretty much all of your UI options in one place. The image resizer and virtual desktop stuff is good too.

If you mount iso images, winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel is great. It's only 61k. It can only mount .iso files I believe, but it is made by Microsoft, and basically just acts as virtual drives. Very easy and better than Daemontools if this is all you're after.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VLC media player.

Get it. Get it now.

I actually had a tech friend write scripts or something onto my windows XP install disc so it installed automatically if I ever formatted. cant do the same with vista annoyingly.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Launchy and AllSnap. You'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

Frem on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    7-Zip for archiving, TweakUI for configuration, HijackThis for general malware/various crap, CCleaner for more or less the same purpose, Recuva for file recovery, The K-Lite Codec Pack for basically every media format ever, uTorrent because it's unsurpassed, and I dunno, maybe Pidgin for IMing?

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Frem wrote: »
    Launchy and AllSnap. You'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

Those. And TrayIt! It's unbelievably useful to be able to minimize any window to the system tray.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    7-Zip for archiving, TweakUI for configuration, HijackThis for general malware/various crap, CCleaner for more or less the same purpose, Recuva for file recovery, The K-Lite Codec Pack for basically every media format ever, uTorrent because it's unsurpassed, and I dunno, maybe Pidgin for IMing?

Don't use the K-Lite Codec Pack, it's shit. Use CCCP or DefilerPak. They're both ffdshow based, but they've each got a few different things.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How does it compare to the Vista Codec Pack? (pack of codecs made for Xp & Vista)

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    • Foxit - Adobe Reader sucks dick in Hell.
    • Firefox, Safari, and/or Opera - I don't like IE.
    • Pidgin - Just because your friends install a dozen different IM clients, doesn't mean you have to.
    • OpenOffice - Not everybody needs to spend almost 700 dollars on an office suite.
    • Vitrite - Keep windows on top of all others. Can also make them transparent.
    • Daemon Tools - I'm aware that likely 99% of its users use it for piracy, but it's insanely useful when you download an ISO and don't want to be bothered burning it to a disk just to read it.
    • The GIMP (and/or Paint.NET) and Inkscape - Same reason, applied to rastor and vector image editing. Paint.NET is prettier and simpler, the GIMP can do more.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'd forgotten about Paint.NET. That program is great.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good stuff, I'll have to check these out. Thanks for the help, guys. I can edit the OP to include all of this stuff if you guys want to keep the thread around.

Toothy on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Might as well. I always like these kind of threads because there's always stuff I've never heard of.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    I think mp3gain edits the actual sound in files, which I don't like whatsoever.

However, what you want is replay gain -- it stores the gain data as an id3 tag instead. Foobar2000 supports it out of the box, both playback and generation of RG data. Just select an entire album, right click -> replay gain, scan as album.

Echo on
  • Options
    WicketW.WarrickWicketW.Warrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You are right, mp3gain does edit the files themselves, but it also stores the changes in an APEv2 tag on the mp3 so that you can always undo the changes.

WicketW.Warrick on
    94970502bg8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Didn't see it was for a car stereo, so then mp3gain might be the way to go. I doubt it'd support replay gain.

I'm just so damn anal about my music collection, so editing the sound is a big no-no. :P (I'd copy the music I want for my car, mp3gain the copies and then burn them so I have the original music in original condition.)

Echo on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    http://cdburnerxp.se/

Best tool for backing up information onto dvds/cds.

Key Features
    ºburn all kinds of discs
    ºaudio-CDs with or without gaps between tracks
    ºburn and create ISO files
    ºdata verification after burning process
    ºcreate bootable discs
    ºmulti-language interface bin/nrg → ISO converter, simple cover printing and much more!
    ºOperating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista

Meiz on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As always, I like the Goon Made List of useful Windows software, it's under new upkeep, so don't be surprised if there's a dead link or two.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I often consult lists like these if I'm looking for bloat-free software to run on a flash drive or something. But usually whenever I do a fresh OS install on a computer, I go to filehippo.com to load it with essential programs.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I often consult lists like these if I'm looking for bloat-free software to run on a flash drive or something.

Have a look at Portable Apps.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I load the entire suite. But sometimes I want a little extra.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This thread is awesome to the highest degree. I've known about most of these, but I love free and open source apps that are small and fully featured replacements for expensive commercial products, so I'm glad to learn about Paint.NET and CDBurnerXP. Hopefully the burner program will let me get rid of Nero's bloated ass forever.

To contribute something myself, I'm gonna throw in my favorite SSH and FTP client, Putty and Filezilla respectively. Also, the best full-featured text editor Notepad++.

theantipop on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SpeedCrunch now has a Windows port and is about a grillion times better than the awful default Windows calculator.

Seriously, guys: we have a keyboard. Moving the mouse around to click tiny buttons on a screen just because that's sort of what a calculator looks like in real life is stupid.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    theantipop wrote: »
    This thread is awesome to the highest degree. I've known about most of these, but I love free and open source apps that are small and fully featured replacements for expensive commercial products, so I'm glad to learn about Paint.NET and CDBurnerXP. Hopefully the burner program will let me get rid of Nero's bloated ass forever.

To contribute something myself, I'm gonna throw in my favorite SSH and FTP client, Putty and Filezilla respectively. Also, the best full-featured text editor Notepad++.

It's not free, and is a little resource intensive (okay, a lot resource intensive for a text editor), but e Text Editor is my new favorite on Windows. Watch the screencast on the website, it's got some really awesome features, and full support for TextMate bundles which only enhance it's usefulness.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    It's not free, and is a little resource intensive (okay, a lot resource intensive for a text editor), but e Text Editor is my new favorite on Windows. Watch the screencast on the website, it's got some really awesome features, and full support for TextMate bundles which only enhance it's usefulness.

Oh, I've been looking for a Textmate equivalent for Windows. I'll have to give that a spin.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This is just out of the blue, but Basilisk II (http://sourceforge.net/projects/basilisk/) is the best Mac emulator I've ever used and it's great for running all those old System 6/7 games you may or may not have played. I ran System 7.5.5 on this with full color and a script to make it look like OS 8, then loaded a crapload of games on it. I also got CD audio working. PortableApps links to vMac, which is a decent emulator, but it pales in comparison.

Anybody got a favorite word processor? Notepad++ is my text editor of choice because it's free and feature-rich, but as for full-fledged word processors that are free, I'd have to pick Abiword. I still like Word 2003 more, though. I have to tweak OpenOffice not to use a Java environment and to use more RAM so that it doesn't start up so bloody slowly.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mp3Gain doesn't edit the sound in the files, it just tweaks the "gain" field in the file and adds tags to undo this change, losslessly. In my opinion running it is like sprinkling magic dust onto your music collection to make it better.

One of the first programs I install is Taskix, which lets you rearrange taskbar icons. It's tiny and works perfectly, without the weird UI, strange drag and drop behavior or bloat of Taskbar Shuffle.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    SpeedCrunch now has a Windows port and is about a grillion times better than the awful default Windows calculator.

Seriously, guys: we have a keyboard. Moving the mouse around to click tiny buttons on a screen just because that's sort of what a calculator looks like in real life is stupid.

You know, you can just use your number pad for input in the windows calculator right?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

You know, you can just use your number pad for input in the windows calculator right?

Launchy has a built-in (but not very full featured) calculator function that handles most of the calculations I need to do on a regular basis.

Anything else I just use Google Calc.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anything else I just use Google Calc.

Google has goddamn everything. I use it as a currency calculator too. Just google "100 USD in real money" or something.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Google Calc makes math class a breeze. No more scrambling to find calculator functions on my TI.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    '0x0AD2 in decimal'
    '0b101101 in hexadecimal'
    '340 in binary'

It's so convenient.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    '0x0AD2 in decimal'
    '340 in binary'

It's so convenient.

Google does that? No shit? I mean, I wouldn't ever need it to but that's still pretty fucking amazing.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    '0x0AD2 in decimal'
    '340 in binary'

It's so convenient.

Google does that? No shit? I mean, I wouldn't ever need it to but that's still pretty fucking amazing.

Yeah, it's awesome when debugging assembly dumps because I need to convert between the three on a regular basis. Windows Calc does it too, but since I've already got Firefox open pretty much all the time, it's just more convenient to use google calc. It does binary and hexadecimal arithmetic, too, just type in 0x0AD2 + 0x033 to add the two hex values, for example.

The only thing it can't do, unless I'm missing something, is convert binary and hexadecimal values to EBCDIC or ASCII text. I can dream.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My computer feels so nice and full now that I found this thread. :D

It only cost me being jailed for making a stupid comment in my clone thread :(

Goose! on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Mp3Gain doesn't edit the sound in the files, it just tweaks the "gain" field in the file and adds tags to undo this change, losslessly. In my opinion running it is like sprinkling magic dust onto your music collection to make it better.

One of the first programs I install is Taskix, which lets you rearrange taskbar icons. It's tiny and works perfectly, without the weird UI, strange drag and drop behavior or bloat of Taskbar Shuffle.

I use Taskbar Shuffle, and I don't see any problems with it. Works as I'd expect it to.

My contributions:

Launchy - Already mentioned, but incase you missed it. It's a program launcher, like Quicksilver(?).
    Tclock - Replaces the windows clock. Not fancy, but fully customisable time display format, as well as providing a butt-load of taskbar/start button customisation options. It allows me to replace the start button with whatever I want, for example.
    Orbit - Download manager. Integration with Firefox means that this quickly replaced Free Download Manager as my "resumer of choice".
    Q10 - Minimal writing environment. I did use Dark Room for my minimalist writing moments, but I find Q10 is more featured whilst still maintaining a VERY minimal display.
    uTorrent - If you download torrents, then download this. I'm not even joking. You might think I'm not being serious. But I am. Very serious.

Centipeed on