As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has 720p Doomed all Games for Me?

UzikUzik Registered User regular
So I got a good deal on a 50 inch 720p Samsung DLP/LCD HDTV.

The HD channels and movies look great, but a good deal of games look like utter crap.

Guitar hero looks amazing, Forza Motor Sports and Rainbow 6 are pretty good too, but then Halo 3 looks like complete trash. I have to actually change the aspect ratio on the TV to "box" it down for the game to be playable.

Is it possible that newer games are more set for 1080p and will look horrible on my TV, or is there a work around or hope that other consoles (Currently just have xbox360) will be better?

Uzik on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Uh, all my 360 games look awesome in 720p.

What hookups are you using? If you are using the 360 component cables did you make sure to flick the switch on the connector to "HD" and adjust the resolution in your 360 prefs?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I believe I had the xbox going to the cable box going to the TV with HDMI cable. How is yours setup?

And are you talking about a system resolution option or an in-game one?

Uzik on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    you are plugging into the cable box via HDMI or something else? In either case I'd try hooking up to the TV directly.

And I am talking about a system resolution option.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hmm ok thanks for advice.

I never had the first gen xbox so I guess I was doing it wrong.

Uzik on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're very very clearly doing something wrong. Make sure the 360 is plugged in to the tv via HDMI if you have a hdmi port (and not through a switcher or anything, just to eliminate problems) and make sure your 360 is set to 720p

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    And if your 360 does not have an HDMI port make sure you are using the component hookups and not the composite. And make sure you set the switch to HD.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If your TV has a VGA input, buy the VGA adapter for the 360. It makes a tremendous difference.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Isn't VGA analog though?

Uzik on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes. Analog vs. digital isn't going to make a huge difference though, unless you are running like 50 feet of unshielded cable or something.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I wouldnt use VGA over HDMI if HDMI is an option, but it can look better than component on the right TV (I am perfectly happy with component though)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]