As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CoD 4 Woes

headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got home with Call of Duty 4 for the PC, stick it in my drive and... nothing. "Please insert a disc into Drive E:"

Needless to say I am gutted as I want to play this game so badly. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong? I'm running Vista and the drive is an HP 840B.

Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
headn00b on

• Options
    TheCapnTheCapn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have no idea what's wrong, but when Half-Life 2 came out and I got home from Best Buy, I got nothing but errors trying to install it. After a while trying to figure out what the issue was, I realized it was the discs themselves. Took 'em back and exchanged them for new, and then everything worked great.

So, while it may be an error on your side, don't dismiss the fact that the DVD may be bad.

TheCapn on
    Tacopants - a tasty comfortable combination.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does the drive spin up at all when you put the DVD in? Does it read other stuff?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That happened to me with several games on my old laptop with vista. I had to eject and re-insert the dvd a few times before it was recognized. After that I just ended up getting a new laptop and installed XP on it, as it is generally more reliable in the games department. The only reason I could see for using vista over XP would be Directx10 (and really wish that was xp compatible).

My old laptop had a faulty disc drive though, so it could have been that and not vista.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you have any disc-image mounting software like MagicDisc/ISO or DaemonTools or whatever crap Nero uses? Those like to cause lots of problems with certain games.

EDIT: Should probably add the bit about disabling those programs during install/play of CoD4.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!