As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yahtzee Croshaw's "The Art of Theft"

2»

• Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NO U

it can be a prequel with an end level connecting to the Chzo Mythos games though

Impersonator on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I'm so reluctant to use my zapper (because you only get a certain amount) that I wind off setting off alarms, which, guess what, you only get a certain amount of.
    That's no bad thing. Using the taser even once tanks your score, so it's for the best that you pretend it doesn't exist. Likewise, don't even consider investing in Sadist, Lower Standards or Forgetfulness, unless you're quite happy to condemn that save file to being utterly useless for high-score runs.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I beat 1213 and 5 Days A Stranger, both really fun. I didn't know he was the guy that did Zero Punctuation though. Maybe I'll have to watch those.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    The game's called Art Of Theft. The long version is Trilby: The Art Of Theft, because it features everyone's favourite dapper renegade from the Chzo Mythos (I stress that it's set in 1991, two years before 5DAS, so don't think it's a continuation or anything).

Maybe he is leaving room for a sequel!!!!!!

Hope springs eternal.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dammit, I bought The Orange Box and Hellgate: London last week and I'll probably be giving them both a miss tonight to play THIS.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh shit.

OH SHIT.

I had absolutely no idea Yahtzee did 1213. That game was pure awesome. But depressing. I should probably get this, but I have things to worry about. D:

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    A stealth game made by a guy who hates stealth games?

Is this correct?

Sheep on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He may hate the way it's been done lately.

So he has made his own version of a stealth game, because, perhaps, he thinks he can do it better.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After playing some? I'd have to say perhaps he's right.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it's forced stealth sequences in otherwise non-stealth games that he hates. Art of Theft is certainly more lenient than those tend to be.

But that 7th heist . . .
    Fuck that boss battle. It just jumps out of nowhere after plenty of time spent skulking.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I think his problem was with action-y games that suddenly abandon all their previous gameplay rules/mechanics and say "Hide now! No guns!"

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    He may hate the way it's been done lately.

So he has made his own version of a stealth game, because, perhaps, he thinks he can do it better.

And the consensus is?
    I think it's forced stealth sequences in otherwise non-stealth games that he hates. Art of Theft is certainly more lenient than those tend to be.

That would make sense and I totally support that frame of view.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really wish there was some way of seeing how much rep you have from a level on your best run, and a listing of the max, so I would know which levels I can still squeeze some juice out of. I'm hoping to get the 3000 RP upgrade before I try the marathon challenge.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Im loving this game. Not sure if I like it more than 1213 which is very story focused, but this game is challenging me.

He made a good stealth game that is challenging and fun. I feel these games (Art of Theft and 1213) would be perfect as downloadable content on the Wii, 360 or PS3.

I think he is a great game designer and cant wait to see what he does next, or if he gets any offers to work with companies. He is quite a brilliant guy. Good writer and good designer!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    p.s.

Anyone got any good suggestions to more games like this or 1213?

I've already done flash back and out of this world ages ago. Noting gets me going more than a great 8-bit game with a simple fun design.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The original Prince of Persia 1 and 2, maybe?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Should have mentioned those too.

:P

Ive got 8-bit fever.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh no, not one of those button mashing scenes. I've never beaten Brave Fencer Musashi because of button mashing :x !

rayofash on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Argh! the sixth(I think) heist is killing me.
    I can get to the XJ Unit but I can't seem to have enough alarm points saved to get back to the start. How the dickens am I meant to get past the sequence where there're two vertical beams moving from left to right while there's a horizontal beam that intermittently turns on without setting off the alarm once. It looks like the timing required would be insane.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cojones, I have exactly the same problem. Anyone?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sidle is the only way I can imagine doing it without triggering at least one alarm, honestly.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But you get totally screwed by the horizontal beam. The verts are really pretty easy, but the horizontal gets you about three times in one trip.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But you get totally screwed by the horizontal beam. The verts are really pretty easy, but the horizontal gets you about three times in one trip.
    If you don't have sidle, you're screwed. Seriously Redo From Start screwed. If you do have sidle,
    clip the wires nearby to get the horizontal bar to glitch, sidle over to the middle and get to know the glitch timing intimitely. There's enough time to jump down when you're coming and just enough time to jump up and press against the wall when you're going.
    It's a tight squeeze, but I assure you, it's open.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Oh no, not one of those button mashing scenes. I've never beaten Brave Fencer Musashi because of button mashing :x !

I found it much easier to have one index finger over Z and the other over X instead of just using one hand.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    damn how did I miss this thread, i recently discovered this game after playing to the chzo mythos again for kicks.

I haven't played 1213 but if it' uses this amazing engine (quite a feat for something done with AGS) I'll have to give it a go. Trilby 4 Lyfe

No other game brings out the perfectionist in me like Art of Theft, stupid cameras

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should definitely try 1213. It is not your basic run-shoot-kill game.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Digger DudeDigger Dude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I had you press buttons really fast minigame

Digger Dude on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    finally got through the main storyline, heist 6 made heist 7 seem like childsplay. All thats left now is to beat the bonus heist and maybe someday unlock the bonus minigame

I want to get a _^^_ score on each heist but I can't fathom ever getting through H6 without setting off a single alarm
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    I think he is a great game designer and cant wait to see what he does next, or if he gets any offers to work with companies. He is quite a brilliant guy. Good writer and good designer!

Yahtzee is not from this planet, I'm pretty sure about this one. It blows me away that he did the Chzo Quadrilogy all by himself except for the music

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsciipandaAsciipanda Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This might seem dumb.But how do I get past the second floor of the first heist?theirs this little crawlspace that I think I need to go through but I cant duck and walk.

Asciipanda on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Asciipanda wrote: »
    This might seem dumb.But how do I get past the second floor of the first heist?theirs this little crawlspace that I think I need to go through but I cant duck and walk.

you have to buy the roll skill, 300rp I think. Though you can get through it without roll, you just can't take advantage of those little spaces

edit: after DLing and loading up 1213 I realized I have indeed played it, i just don't remember any of the storyline and I had no idea of yahtzee's genius when I did, time for a second playthrough

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png