Options

XBox 360 VGA or HDMI?

DarthJerDarthJer Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Basic question. Which is the better connection on the XBox 360, VGA or HDMI?

I am probably getting a system in the next few weeks and am not sure on the cables. I know that you can only get the DVD upscaling on VGA, so I am definitely getting that, but from what I know (or think I know...?) the HDMI is actually the clearer picture... My somewhat large TV will do 1080i and 720p.

I'll likely be getting the Elite package of the 360, so it'll come with the HDMI cable, but I don't have any other upscaler for my DVD's, so I am treating the VGA cable as an expected cost as well... If the VGA is enough quality for me, I'll just eBay the HDMI cord.

I guess my question is actually, should I plan to be switching back & forth between the VGA & HDMI or is there just not a very noticeable difference and I'll be fine with just the VGA? Or is the upscaling really bad and not worth messing with, and I should just stick to the included HDMI?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

DarthJer on

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You can get upscaling on HDMI or VGA, just can't over component.

Also, the newer versions of the X360 only have HDMI (if I recall correctly) so you don't have much of a choice unless you aim for an older model.

As for picture clarity, I would assume they're about equal.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HDMI is digital and thus technically superior.
    Though most people won't be able to notice it, it's pretty negligible.

Hell, I was at some of my buddies last night and they were playing Halo 3. They have an amazing HD tv. I pointed out they dont have wide screen turned on because the Chief was all fat and wide. So I went and realized they had 480p on. So I threw on 1080i and they all bitched that "it looked like shit".

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are... are they blind?

Magus` on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Are... are they blind?
    No, just drunk/stoned. The major complaint was how small everthing looked.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    In their defense, Halo 3 is very poorly done for mutliplayer on the same console.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HDMI is digital and thus technically superior.

Right, but I found out it depends on the TV. I had my xbox on HDMI until I read a review in S&V of it that said the component inputs looked better than the HDMI. So I tried it, and they do, especially with games.

protip - try all of the inputs and go with the best picture that looks best to you.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    DarthJerDarthJer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rather helpful, one and all. And probably saving me $30 or so in the process... Thanks, gang!

DarthJer on