As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whats that coming out of the sea, is it a monster? No it's an ENDLESS OCEAN thread

• Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's a pleasure, I wouldn't like to sea it sink under the waves of Mario Galaxy as it were.

Oh I should point out some more flaws so I don't seem like Im pimping it too much.

One flaw is so far the fish don't seem to interact with each other much, just swimming around, not really doing anything. Now to be fair this is exactly what fish do when you actually go snorkling, so it's not unrealistic. But it would be nice to see them fighting, feeding etc. So yeah, that might get annoying. I think the originality of seeing 200 odd species recreated extermely well makes up for the lack of things they do. Oh, and when it's night the fish 'hang' in the water which is what they do at night. It creates a really different feel. And also, on the flip side you can spot a puffer fish and poke it so it blows up into a ball. Or prob a fish so it rushes back into it's little hidey hole on the zoom in bits. Also some breeds travel in groups and what not. It creates a realistic feel thats for sure.

I really like it, at least partially because really like the subject matter. I don't want people to buy it and be disappointed, but at the price I think it's worth taking a chance on it, because it's so different.

Oh and I think it will be called Forever Blue in the states.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cullen wrote: »
    Great write up Lave. Can't wait to play this at Christmas.

Indeed, thanks for the impressions. Can't wait to get my scuba on at home, this time without making such a mess of the bathtub.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

Indeed, thanks for the impressions. Can't wait to get my scuba on at home, this time without making such a mess of the bathtub.

Ronen yesterday

(youtube, features swears)

Lave II on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My fiance put this game on his Christmas wishlist so perhaps he'll be joining the swimming around then. I'm sure I'll be able to try it out then too ;) I am kinda curious now.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want this so bad. So bad. I think I've been double-checking the release date every month for a year.

January? GRrrr.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Ronen wrote: »

Ronen yesterday

(youtube, features swears)

My secrets!

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lave you make me want this even though I still don't really know what it is

bruin on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's edutainment!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    edit: slippery fingers double-post.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    All I know is that you swim around and look at fish. Bought for any price.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I may have to pick this up, as not only is it something I'd love to play but iy looks like something my dad would really enjoy.

Quick question, how's the music? can you play music from an SD card?

Bantry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, in case anyone else gets the game my Friend Code is 2218-7330-2834
    Let me know if you add me.
    It's weird being the only person on the forum with a game (currently)....

Lave II on
  • Options
    Sushi_KSushi_K Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Did somebody mention something about a giant squid?

Fuck. Yeah.

Sushi_K on
    Inyourendo!
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My Wii has been pretty much just sitting collecting dust (don't bite me!), and I don't even have it at my apartment here, in fact. But after watching that trailer and reading this thread, I guess I'll have to go get it for this game. After a stressful day, that should be the perfect game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Only if it was 720/1080p :( This is just for the Wii?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I'm suprised we got to page three before this started up.

Having played a 360 properly now, and really wanting one (see sig), I agree it would be lovely on the 360. I also think it's exactly the kind of game that would never, ever, get released on a 360.

You want a quirky game about nothing, which is taking a chance, and never going to make waves and might even sink without a trace then your going to find it put it on the Wii.

I'm just glad the Wii is letting games like this survive.

Lave II on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lave II wrote: »

I'm suprised we got to page three before this started up.

Having played a 360 properly now, and really wanting one (see sig), I agree it would be lovely on the 360. I also think it's exactly the kind of game that would never, ever, get released on a 360.

You want a quirky game about nothing, which is taking a chance, and never going to make waves and might even sink without a trace then your going to find it put it on the Wii.

I'm just glad the Wii is letting games like this survive.

Well I don't have an X360, I was thinking more PS3... I like Lair and the controls for it... I wouldn't mind swimming around with the SIXAXIS... but then Greg from IGN might give the game a 1.5 :P

This game still looks cool.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lave, I've spotted a pre-owned copy in a local store for £15, I may get it just so I can swim with thee. :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DO IT!

Though you could get it new for £17. And It's about that in most supermarkets too.

It's really, really fucking good. It's a contender for my cult-GOTY. Seriously.

I'm almost up to 4hrs diving time, and I'm don't want to spoil what I've seen, or build it up too much, but it's great. It's so soothing. It makes me beam.

Lets put it this way. I'm not bothered at all, that I can't play my copy of Mario Galaxy till xmas.

Lave II on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I have totally forgotten about this game until just now. Thanks for the impressions Lave, this little game is going straight under the Christmas tree!

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We call out to the beasts of the sea to come forth and join us, this night is yours
    Because, one day we will all be with you in the black and deep
    One day WE WILL ALL GO INTO THE WATER

Go into the water
    live there die there
    live there die

We reject our earthly fires
    Gone are days of land empires
    Lungs transform to take in water
    Cloaked in scales we swim and swim on....

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lave, you might have mentioned it before, but does this game feature custom soundtracks ala Excitetruck? Because if so, Deep Thrill by Just Jack must be played during each dive.
    Just Jack wrote:
    I'm pushing out into the blueness
    A soul soothing silence
    Helping me to get through this
    I'm floating breathless
    Calmer that a Buddhist
    In the newness
    Of a world untouched by
    Human hands
    It's undiscovered civilizations in uncharted lands
    I'm diving deeper to ocean floors afar
    A landscape so alien
    It's like you're on Mars
    Anemones and coral
    Iridescent in the half light
    As shoals of fish catch the tide
    And drift out of sight

CHORUS

Tell me what you're waiting for
    What's keeping you here
    Step into the blueness
    Let nothing interfere
    You never know
    You may like the deep thrill
    So why not stay a while if
    You've got time to kill

Fluid motions in the weightlessness
    Well it's all forgotten worries
    And long gone stress
    A million miles from mean streets like this
    Now we drink black coffee in downtown Atlantis
    Washed clean of the grime and the city sins
    The only sharks you'll find down here have fins
    You're under threat no longer
    So close your eyes
    and we can navigate by sonar
    Into dark depths where evolution stands still
    And submarine winds
    Blow through the silent chill
    You're introduced to the deep thrill
    So why not stay awhile if
    You've got time to kill

CHORUS

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it seems a little broken though. You can listen to mp3s on your boat no probs, but I can't select them while below water.

I think you have to select a song before you dive and then it'll play on loop, I don't know for sure - I'll check tonight. I think they expected people would dive for shorter times...

The ingame music is great though.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fancy a game tomorrow night Lave? I've got pc repair/gym/girlfriend to do tonight (wait, I don't mean DO my girlfriend, I mean I have to drive her home) so I won't be on the little white box. But tomorrow I'll be up for a dive!

Take it easy though and don't go too deep.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think I'm going to a secret British Sea Power gig tomorrow (how appropriate).

So how about Thursday?

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thursday is good for me to swim! I'll add you to msn or googletalk or join vent or something so we have some form of conversation.

Got rid of the 360 by the way, only went for £102 in the end but it's all money!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Awesome.

I'm quite old fashioned, and confused by all them. I'll have a potter around.
    I do have skype, yahoochat, and adium (which uses aim?) I think, and I can get my skype microphone working again I think (it's embedded in my iBook and pretty flaky).

Good one on the 360, it's all money after all. Just 159 queen faces away myself. Gona flog some DS games I don't need anymore.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ahh, you're a mac user ain'tcha? I'll add you to Adium too

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That I am, I'll check it when I'm home. Can you talk on that? Typings fine I mean it's not like you could talk underwater anyhow. But you can draw neon yellow cocks. Obviously.

Updated OP with my impressions and changed the title. I've decided to latch onto the 'changing the title all the time' meme, as I think it's quite good.

Lave II on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My family loves them some Charlotte Church. A bunch of theatre majors, they are.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn.
    I'm tempted by this, but the litte pink hand cursor thing really annoys me for some reason. It seems... silly. Out-of-place.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, as a person that has never been diving or snorkling, but can spend approximately 20 hours a week watching the Discovery Channel, this game really has me interested. I personally thing that this is how educational games should be done. Kind of open-ended, and not so much focused on the learning or education part. I'm going to have to check this out when it's released in the States.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This looks awesome. If it's a budget game in Australia too, I'll definately try and get it.

edit: "it'd be better in HD" is just as annoying as "it'd be better on the wii". Can't people just leave it be?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I should get this for my buddy who is absolutely terrified of the ocean. He can't even watch the discovery channel type shows without leaving the room.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haha so it'd be the equivalent of a horror game for him? Awesome :D

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eurogamer's review is up:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88101

The reviewer seemed to like it for the reasons I want to play it, i.e. it's calm, relaxing and not like other games.

Cullen on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hm... how to make sure my fiance actually gets this for Christmas so that I can steal his copy and play it..... Damn secret santa type Christmasses and me not drawing his name.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That Eurogamer review perplexes me.

They normally represent my reviews exactly, so I trust them a lot, but on Wii games we seem to be getting more and more out of sync. They didn't seem to get it at all. I haven't time to properly look it over though. They criticise the lack of concrete aims, but that to me, is what makes the game. Still it is a marmite game, so fair play to the review, but it's my GOTY (till I get to play Galaxy that is).

But super, super busy today. Mr Grinch, I don't think I'll be home in time to do a co-op swim unless about 11pm is ok with you.

If anyone says this is down to getting very drunk last night, and so buggering up stuff today, then they would be correct.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'll be in bed by then afraid (GF is here and bed time is earlier ;) ) but can do anytime during the day over the weekend!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ha, ha. Ok, cool, we''ll play it by ear.

Talking of which I'm getting GH III for the Wii this weekend if it turns up. So I'll probably be trying to get people to play that too, if I get a chance.

Now that the Wii is starting to get some on-line games (GH III, EO, Strikers and soon to be brawl) and I might be getting a 360 at some point between now and when I finish my PhD, I wonder if their would be interest in a "Saturday/Sunday Morning(ish) UK Swap Shop" - a sort of fortnightly or monthy UK gaming session, where we can all be hung over together, and play some games, whilst eating cereal ....

Lave II on