As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I use an expired passport to board a domestic flight?

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My passport expired Nov 8th. I have a plane ticket for Tuesday from Philly to Boston. Will I be able to get on? (I have no other forms of proper ID)

whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
Jinnigan on

• Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If it expired, the picture of you in there is probably extremely old, so I'm gonna guess no. I've seen people use school IDs to board domestic flights, though, although I guess your mileage may vary.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a question you should be asking the airline that you bought the ticket from, or the airport you're flying from, not us. They'll be able to give you the definitive answer and recommend a viable alternative, while all we can say is 'probably' and 'maybe.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, all we can really say is "maybe", and that technically the answer is no. ID has to be current and valid for it to be accepted in any form, photo ID or otherwise.

That being said, maybe the airline is willing to make an exception because it's a domestic flight, and the passport is only recently expired. Especially if the photo still looks fairly similar. But either call, or even better, go down to the airport and get an opinion.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Go to the DMV and get an ID card. If you are from PA anyway. Looks like a drivers license, but isn't.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I know you can use expired passports as valid forms of ID for employment purposes (you don't even need another ID), but I have no idea if they'd work on an airline

Cauld on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KMFurDM wrote: »
    Go to the DMV and get an ID card. If you are from PA anyway. Looks like a drivers license, but isn't.
    I know if you do this in Washington, they give you a temporary card right there at the DMV, while a permanent one comes in the mail. I don't know if they do it in other states, though, you can call and ask.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The answer to this question is yes. Even expired, a US passport is valid identification, as are most (if not all) state driver's licenses.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    I've tried to do this to go from BWI to RDU, and was hasseled. You'll be able to do it but they will mark you for special selection security so plan to wait a little longer. I recommend going and getting a state ID from the DMV, They made mine on the spot (in NC)

Iruka on
  • Options
    thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought you didn't even need an ID for domestic flights. I know they will hassle you a lot more, but I'm pretty sure you can do it. I think I read something about a few reporters trying it and just having to go though more security than others.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    KMFurDM wrote: »
    I know if you do this in Washington, they give you a temporary card right there at the DMV, while a permanent one comes in the mail. I don't know if they do it in other states, though, you can call and ask.
    In PA you get your ID/License right there.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just used my birth certifiate and it worked just fine with going through a flight.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You are not required to present ID to board a domestic flight.

powerss on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, you are. I've always had to present ID on domestic flights, and I fly fairly often (3-4 times a year)

Best to get an ID at the DMV. I believe they are offered in most, if not all, states. It's the alternative form of gov't issued ID if you don't want/have a license

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    powerss wrote: »

Only the ones involving riding on an airplane.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    powerss wrote: »

It's that pesky part about getting through security that becomes a problem. I fly several times a year as well, and the process involves presenting your boarding pass at security, doing the scans, shoe and belt removals, pocket emptying and ID verification. At most airports, at that point or at the gate I've been told that my boarding pass is sufficient to get on the airplane, but the assumption is that you've been screened already. For all international flights (not relevant to the OP, but still interesting to me), I've had to present my passport when boarding the flight out of the country.

Solandra on