As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Samsung 56" DLP + XBox 360 Pro - $1500 - good?

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
Clicky

Is this a good deal?

Samsung 56" DLP 1080p Projection HDTV

+

Xbox 360 Pro with Marvel Ultimate Pro and Forza 2 Motorsport

I'm sure getting a free Xbox 360 pro is a sweet deal, but I'm kinda out of the loop on tvs nowadays. Should I go drop 1500 large on this deal or is there a better bang for my buck?

Thanks.

SeñorAmor on

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks like a good deal to me. My dad has the 50" version of that TV and it's gorgeous.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We have a Sammy 61" 1080p DLP and it is fantastico
    I'd go for it.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok. I have cable from Time Warner (with their nice little DVR). Aside from a stand, is there anything else I'd need to get to have this up and running today?

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not really. That Samsung does 1080p over component, too.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So long as you have some HD cables to hook up the DVR. Probably component I figure.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think I just might pick this up. No interest for 6 months on purchases > $299, too, woo.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought those Samsung DLPs had very noticeable lag with consoles.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Not at all
    Not in the slightest
    At least not mine when hooked up to a Wii or 360 so long as you turn off the retarded DNIe processing or whatever, but that's as simple as going into the menu and changing the display profile to movie mode.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Welp, they didn't have one in stock so I couldn't see exactly what it would look like, but I kinda just added 6" in my head to the 50" they had on display.

My wife thinks it's too big. I need to do some more convincing. :evil:

I really have no desire to own an xbox anyway, so I could probably just sell it for $300 on ebay. That'd pay for the stand. :)

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's hard to be too big.

www.monoprice.com for all your cable needs

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a similar question (posted this elsewhere but it's more appropriate here):

Man, I'm wondering if I should do this - Best Buy has a bundle deal for a 56" Samsung DLP 1080p HDTV and an Xbox360 Pro system w/2 games for $1500.

Now, I don't have an HDTV yet, and I don't have a 360. I'm also finishing up my student teaching out of grad school and am in debt (not much - it's for a teaching credential, not med school or a law degree like some of my friends) and don't have a job yet. I also have a ton of old games to finish for my PS2 and Xbox, but, I'm also kinda tempted to just tack another $1500 onto my debt to be able to play stuff like Dead Rising and Halo 3...

Is this silly, or should I consider it a investment for the future, as I'll eventually want to get a nice TV and a current-gen system. Are these things going to be much, much cheaper in the near future (like, a year or two), to the point where I'll kick myself for spending money on them when I could have waited and worked through old games first? Is this as good of a deal as it seems, or are bundles like this going to be a dime a dozen after the holidays?

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Next year there will be other amazing deals on TVs. If you can't afford it, don't do it. Hell, a 360 is still the same system on a non-HD TV.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good point... then again, my parents said if I want it I can consider it a "graduation present." Hmm...

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I know we all want a nice TV, but do you really wanna move with that fucker and worry about it being damaged, too?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just want to say I love my Samsung 50" DLP. I sit about 7' away from it and it's just the right size. I'd imagine if it were bigger, it would actually be too big.

Shazkar - interesting bit about DNIe... I turned on game mode and there's still a little lag (150ms, I think, according to guitar hero anyway). I'll turn DNIe off and see what that does for me.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've heard there was some lag with some of the older models, but we got ours about a year ago so I don't know if it'll be the same for you.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can't get a DLP because I'm pretty sensitive to the rainbow effect, or this deal would have been right up my alley.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I know we all want a nice TV, but do you really wanna move with that fucker and worry about it being damaged, too?

This is a great point. My wife and I will be buying a house soon (hopefully) and I don't wanna have to lug the thing around twice. I can wait till after we move to get a new tv. Maybe I'll go back to wanting that 42" Westinghouse LCD.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My dad has lived in 3 houses in the past 7 years. Every time he sells the house, he sells the home theatre setup with it. This not only prevents him from having to move the fucking things, but he gets some money back, and he gets new toys. All of his systems are set up nicely, but nothing to put into a magazine for display or anything.

Seriously, that shit aint worth the trouble. Same with a couch with buit in bed. They weigh about a ton.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Lando_GriffinLando_Griffin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you are in a relatively precarious financial position, I would strongly suggest against a luxury purchase like this. As was mentioned previously, everyone wants a fancy tv, but you would be much much better off with that 1500 dollars in a savings account, or going towards more essentials, and you deferring this purchase or getting a better tv for less next year. These TV's are only getting better and cheaper, unless you are flush with cash it is better to wait, hard as it is.

Lando_Griffin on
    xfire sig: rustyaqualung