As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Checking for Interest in a 3.5 homebrew game

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I've found my Player's Handbook and gotten a look at the Complete series of books, and goddamn, I need to bone up on my generic DnD knowledge. Half of a campaign I played a year ago does not an expert of me make.

Also, no more Fighter. If this works out, I'm going to be using my previous half-tribal dude as a Scout from Complete Adventurer. (If the Scout class is okay!) It just fits a whole lot better.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been idling my time making characters using this http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

Its pretty cool. I made a level 1 Gnome Rogue, and then a level 5 Dwarf Warrior.

So...what level are we going to run this? I'm not sure if that's been covered.

Goose! on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Scout's fine with me. I rather think it's a nifty lil' class. Of course, to make the most of it, you'll have to convince your dear adventuring pals to head outside of Arris. *L*

Now, as for levels and such.

Starting levels will be 5th, because I think that's a good "sweet spot" for starting characters who're confident, powerful, and capable without being too strong. However, because this is a relatively low-magic setting, you'll have to use the gold for a 4th level character to buy equipment with, and preferably no more than two magic items. Also, masterwork items are okay, but they shouldn't be considered a requisite... they're masterwork for a reason. Make them special and make sure to treat them as they deserve in an in character sense. If your character didn't care about their equipment, they wouldn't bother using exceptional goods, after all.

Interesting "trinkets" are encouraged, too. If you've got an idea for something pseudo-magical that doesn't actually seem to be truly magical, feel free to mention it. Thunderstones, Sunrods, and the like fall under "trinkets".

Wizards will be limited in their spells known at game start to the 2 spells per character level, plus whatever they're willing to buy as scrolls. Don't forget to start a level 1 character and level them to 5, with the starting three 1st level spells, plus two more per level after that. That's 11 spells, for those of you reading at home, plus scrolls bought, and 5 of those have to be first level. Having spells other than the "standard" Magic Missile and Fireball is encouraged. Strongly encouraged. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with fireball, it is kind of an iconic spell. It's more that a wizard who's always got their slot limits of Magic Missile and Fireball memorized isn't my idea of a particularly interesting wizard. It also speaks to their mentality of always expecting to have to kill something, and that sort of mentality doesn't lend itself well to concentration, study, or rest.

By all means, feel free to use your equipment in your background. Feel free to devise spells (As long as they're mechanically no more powerful than other spells of their level) and use those instead of standard versions. Make things interesting. Of course, anything nonstandard should be run by me, but I'm more than likely going to say yes unless it's an obvious attempt at twinkery, as long as it's relevant to your character.

I do strongly encourage anyone who wants an Arcane caster to try a Wizard over a Sorceror. There's so much more versatility to a Wizard, and since you're never going to know what I'm going to throw at you next, a Sorceror may find their spells ging to waste if they've chosen badly (Or chosen to specialize in nothing but massive damage AoE...)

Anyway. I welcome more questions. Except questions on when I'm going to run. I can't tell you when I'm going to be running this, because honestly, I need to have an assessment of everyone's availablility first. I'm pretty much available almost anytime right now. So I'm basically going to go with whenever I can get the majority of you online.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's a shame really. I would love nothing else but to be able to do this but I have but two problems:

I dont have the rules :(

And I've never played :(

Can anyone tell me what books I need and how costly they are? I want to know how screwed I am.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You can mostly get by alright with the rules from the SRD (which is free and available online) and a Little Help From Your Friends, until you want stuff from non-core books. :o

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Haha, I'm completely ignoring your advice and throwing out a new character idea for a sorcerer.

Much less "Fireball, Chain Lightning, Cone of Cold, I'm done" than normal ones, though. He'd be a street rat, basically, using his magic to survive so lots of illusion and that sort. Probably a few rogue levels and eventually going into the Arcane Trickster class.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Revised Pantheon.

Alisus, god of War
    Portfolio: War, Battles, Warriors

Aura, goddess of Compassion
    Portfolio: Healing, Love, Passion

Balsam, god of Wisdom
    Portfolio: Clear-thought, Wisdom, Learning

Celinas, goddess of the Moon
    Portfolio: Illusion, Change, Dreams

Helis, god of the Sun
    Portfolio: Clarity, Loyalty, Courage

Karis, goddess of Life
    Portfolio: Growing things, Life, Nature

Scirakh, god of Hatred
    Portfolio: Hate, Violence, Murder

The Stranger, god of Endings
    Portfolio: Death, Endings, Mercy

Tulkas, god of Justice
    Portfolio: Justice, Honor, Judgement

Umbranox, deity of Night
    Portfolio: Fear, Nightmare, Night

Verweren, god of Protection
    Portfolio: Defense, Protection, Guardians

Before the before, there was a void, and into this void, there came a single spark of light. From this meeting of light and dark were birthed the Primals, the elemental gods, whose being created the wind and the rain and the earth. Unto them was given dominion over the elements of the world, from which all things are composed. These firstborn children are composed both of Light and Dark aspects, a Fair Face and a Dark Face.
    And then unto the Light and the Dark were born the Elders, the gods of men. Unto these dominion was given of all things that walked or ran or crawled or flew or swam upon the world, and this angered the Primals. The Elders came forth, and gave unto the peoples of the world civilization, and taught them to protect themselves from the Primal elements that sought to break the new gods’ sway. From these early civilizations were the nations and peoples of today born. Each of these gods gave the peoples of the world a gift of their nature.
    Of Alisus was the gift of battle given, to teach the peoples how to protect themselves from aggressors. Thus is Alisus known as the Warrior.
    Of Aura was the gift of love given, to allow the peoples to help one another survive. Thus is Aura known as the Lover.
    Of Balsam was the gift of learning given, to assist the peoples in their growth. Thus is Balsam known as the Teacher.
    Of Karis was the gift of agriculture, to bring the people food. Thus is Karis known as the Provider.
    Of Scirakh was the gift of hatred given, to teach the people the necessity of violence. Thus is Scirakh known as the Murderer.
    Of The Stranger was the gift of death given, to save the people from the madness of immortality. Thus is the Stranger known as the Merciful.
    Of Tulkas was the gift of justice given, to show the people how to live properly. Thus is Tulkas known as the Judge.
    Of Verweren was the gift of defense given, to protect the people from those who would destroy them. Thus is Verweren known as the Guardian.

Three more were birthed from the void, three who bound themselves outside the world, yet became parts of it.
    Helis chose for himself the Sun, bringing warmth and clarity to the world. Thus is he known.
    Celinas chose for herself the Moon, bringing dreams and change to the world. This is she known.
    Umbranox took unto herself the Night, the time of fear and nightmare. Thus is she known.

Others there are, the gods of hearth and field and home and tree; the gods of man and monster and forge and tool. These lesser gods came later, spreading forth to bring their gifts to the peoples.

Game notes: These are the “major” deities of the world, these eleven. Others may crop up as time goes on and I institute others. But for now, these are the big eleven. There are other, minor gods, usually regional or people-specific. These eleven, however, are pretty much universal except in the places where the Primals hold sway.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Krata, please check your Inbox for my character proposal.

For the rest of you: In short I'm thinking a cleric of the fire god who focuses on the healing / beneficial aspects of flame.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I didn't know fire had healing aspects.

I gave up the beguiler and I'm putting together a monk. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You've never had to cauterize a wound? :D

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Cauterizing a wound just replaces a bleeding wound with a horrible burn wound :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cauterization counts.

Edit: curse my slow wit!

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pshhh, fire is healing in that it provides warmth for cold places. Think how un-fun life would be without the sun? I think you catch my drift.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Basically the primal gods are awesome.

h5 to you, Fire Cleric.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Awesome if you're an uncivilized brute!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Know-it-all city slicker.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My character is actually a little mix of the two, grew up in the city, was abandoned to barbarians which is where he spent his teens and gained worship of the primals, and is now BACK!

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [SIZE=+1]Petra[/SIZE]
    Female Lawful Neutral Human Monk, Level 5, Init +3, HP 37/37, Speed 40
    AC 19, Touch 18, Flat-footed 16, Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Magic Unarmed Strike +6 (1d8, x2)
    Flurry of Blows +5/+5 (1d8/1d8, x2) or Varies
    Masterworked Kama +7 (1d6, x2)
    (+1 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Deflect, +4 Misc)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Condition None

?!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What point buy are we using for this again?

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    28 point buy I believe was what I've been telling people when they ask. I hadn't realized until tonight that I'd forgotten to make that clear. Oops!

Also, I'm all for the fire priest. Fire-as-healing isn't exactly an unworkable concept, after all, and it definately works for someone who would revere fire for its cleansing properties and such.

Part of what Manticore pm'd me was a nice but of flavor on how his priestly magic will manifest itself. I wanted to say I wholeheartedly approve of that sort of thing. "Poof, magicky stuff happened" isn't as interesting as "my spells tend to have a chaotic bent, each casting being slightly different" or something.

Also, elementally aligned characters should probably stay away from using magic associated with opposed elements, but that's mostly a stylistic choice and a way not to offend your gods.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I snuck around INNS's link and found me that character sheet generator thingy.

Good God have I forgotten a lot.

I'm not completely finished, but this should be it here if someone wants to take a sec to doublecheck what I've got.

Also:
    Also, elementally aligned characters should probably stay away from using magic associated with opposed elements, but that's mostly a stylistic choice and a way not to offend your gods.

By the bolded parts, I'm guessing things might not be all cozy with the Primal gods? Or do they just not like competition, and general devotion and acquiescense to all four is allowed?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What is level 4 gold?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hey, people more knowledgeable than me:

What book is Able Learner in, and does it work primarily like it does in NWN2? I know you need to be a first level human to take it in 3.5, but aside from that?

Katra:

Are you allowing the Able Learner if it wasn't in one of those books you mentioned (pleasesayyes pleasesayyes pleasesayyes)?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Able Learner is in Races of Destiny and lets you buy Cross-Class skills at a 1/1 ratio, but it doesn't make them class skills (so they still cap out at (Lvl+3)/2 ranks).

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, so I'm interested in this but I have a few questions.

I am wondering how we're going to run combat. I understand it's going to be combat-light, but is it going to be a "in your head" kind of thing, or what?

Also, do you guys have any room left in the group? :P

I would be running a wizard, definitely utility and light on the "fireball lol!" aspect. Do you mind if I go totally out on a limb here and create a wizard who is a general pacifist, doesn't like hurting people? Specializing in defensive and utility spells, mostly. I think that would be a fun concept for a class most people use to Burninate with.

Also, has a time slot been decided? I work M-F until 5:00 pm Eastern.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gaius "Susex Fire-Walker" Belisarian
    Male Neutral Good Human Cleric 5, Init +0, HP 27, Speed 20
    AC 20, Touch 10, Flat Footed 20. Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +7
    Darkwood Heavy Mace +5 (1d8+1, x2)
    Feats: Extra Turning, Divine Metamagic, Reach Spell
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14
    What is level 4 gold?
    5,400 gp

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sweet, thanks Mati, but how is that determined? Is there something somewhere in which I can look it up?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    To answer Dichotomy's question, it's less that the Primal gods aren't fond of one another (To be honest, they rarely notice or care about one another), but more that if you're an obsessive worshipper of the primal aspect of water, constantly burning things tends to go against the nature of the deity you worship.

On the other hand, a generalistic worship of all four deities is totally allowed, yes. Most of those who worship the Primals worship and venerate all four. It's more that they'd know not to ask for the blessing of fire from anyone but, well, the fire god. When you worship specifically the Fire god above all others, then you run the risk of offending him if you call upon his bretheren, however. Basically, you're saying "You're the best god ever, yes you are, but honestly, you suck at this, so I need outside help". It's kinda that whole "I'm a GOD and I'm not good enough for you?!" thing.

Again, like I said, mostly a stylistic thing, although those who devote themselves specifically to one god more than others will likely have more options later on for specialized powers or PrCs or the like.

To MAnticore, yep, I'm fine with Able Learner.

To Spawnbroker: Combat will be run mostly according to the rules, with a touch of common sense. Basically I'll adjust modifiers and the like on the fly if I think circumstances warrant it. You'll still need to use the dice, but they won't rule everything. Taht's my job, after all. And as far as I know, so far I've got one fire priest, one monk, and one swashbucklery-pirate-rogue are the only characters I've got any information on, so yep, there's still room open. Someone mentioned a Sorceror, but I don't know anything about that yet. And yep, a wizard is perfectly cool. Just don't be a TOTAL pacifist... or at least, you might want to make an exception for suitably monstrous foes, as those will be present if and when you all venture from Arris' walls.

As for time slot, that's as yet undecided. We're working on that.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Allen Kross

Male Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer 4/Rogue 1 Init +3, HP 21/21, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus +2
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 16 (15+1 at level 4), Con 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Spells Known: Level 0: Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Dancing Lights, Daze, Flare Level 1: Color Spray, Grease, Disguise Self Level 2: Invisibility
    Feats/Abilities: Summon Familiar (Cat), Sneak Attack 1d6, Eschew Materials, Able Learner, Draconic Heritage (Silver)

Edit: Working on the Myth-Weaver character sheet, and trying my damndest to do skills in my head. Also have a test to take and a speech to give tomorrow. I'll post the rest of the character when I can.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm preparing a Dwarven meatshield...I mean...Fighter :D

But, seriously. I'm tweaking things, trying to play around with Dwarven beliefs. Maybe make him a little more open-minded to certain things. Hate to use the analogy, he could be the Do'Urden of his race.

Just a thought.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How are you a do'urden of a race that isn't evil?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I mean that in a similie. As in, he's a stick out from the pack. He's not EXACTLY LIKE Drizzt, but I'm aiming at making him an anomaly, like Do'urden is. You know, like being non-literal?

I think a dwarf that enjoys the benefits of magic and having them on his side instead of being distrusting of such objects and hating them is a bit of an anomaly. Plus it gives me a good excuse to use magical items :D

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dwarves don't generally hate magic itself. THey distrust ARCANE magic. Divine magic is perfectly fine with them, though.

Also, I woudln't count on a preponderance of magical items. Mid level magic is difficult to find, and high level magic is even harder. You might be able to (theoretically) convince a magic-user in the poarty to enchant things for you, but enchanting things isn't quite as simple to me as throwing down a couple of spells and spending gold and xp. Not in this world, at any rate. There are reasons magic on this world isn't common.

Don't forget that fact. Even divine magic doesn't tend to range too high a level in most places. You guys, as PCs, may end up being the exception to the rule, but not without actually working for it.

In short, magic is special, not a requisite. Treat it accordingly.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    True. Anyway, I'm just trying to find an interesting angle to play a plain ol' fighter with.

Anyway, here he is:

[SIZE=+1]Gorin Gravelbreaker[/SIZE]
    Male Neutral Good Dwarf Fighter, Level 5, Init +1, HP 48/48, Speed 20 ft.
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Dwarvencraft Dwarven Waraxe +10 (1d8, x3)
    Sling (sling bullets) +6 (1d4, x2)
    +2 to armor check penalties, +4 escape against web spell and net Dwarvencraft Breastplate (netcutter spikes), Heavy steel shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 17, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition Good

I used that thing INNS used because it looked excellent. Thanks for that.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I didn't include it because I just gave the 'statblock' that is generated by Myth-weavers.

You can get to the full sheet by clicking the name I posted.

Are you planning to take feats that follow the Combat Reflexes line? If not, it's probably wasteful, since it'll only give you one additional AoO each round.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I didn't include it because I just gave the 'statblock' that is generated by Myth-weavers.

You can get to the full sheet by clicking the name I posted.

Are you planning to take feats that follow the Combat Reflexes line? If not, it's probably wasteful, since it'll only give you one additional AoO each round.

I only took it because I had to take 3 fighter feats. Any suggestions?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Weapon Focus? >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Weapon Focus? >>

But that's so boring. :-p Probably for the best though.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Prerequisite for Specialization, though.

INeedNoSalt on