As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Travelling to Qatar

Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
In about a month I'll be flying to Doha, Qatar for a holiday for a few weeks. So I'm looking for some advice/information/tips/what have you in regards to a couple of things.

The flights: The last time I flew by myself I was counted as an unaccompanied minor so I didn't have to worry about shit. This time around I'm going to be flying by myself for the first time. So any tips for the journey regarding navigating airports or looking after important documents or whatever would be more than welcome.

The destination: I know shit all about Qatar. I'm there to visit my dad but he'll be working for a decent portion of the time I'll be there so I need to figure out what I can do there. If anyone has been to Qatar specifically or know of some Arabic touristy stuff I can while I'm there, I'd be glad for any info.

Shifty Fister on

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KingPleb wrote: »
    In about a month I'll be flying to Doha, Qatar for a holiday for a few weeks. So I'm looking for some advice/information/tips/what have you in regards to a couple of things.

The flights: The last time I flew by myself I was counted as an unaccompanied minor so I didn't have to worry about shit. This time around I'm going to be flying by myself for the first time. So any tips for the journey regarding navigating airports or looking after important documents or whatever would be more than welcome.

First off try your damndest to at least get an aisle seat or a seat by the emergency exit. Looking out the window gets boring after about 30 minutes, but the joy of being able to get up and stretch/go to the bathroom lasts forever.

You can take two pieces of carry-on, use this even if you only have one bag. I suggest a small-medium sized backpack for books/magazines/napkins/medicines and a small camera bag or fanny pack. Use this to keep your passport/visa/id cards as well as your tickets, boarding pass and such. Do not throw away your original ticket as they usually staple your baggage number on there. Do throw away your old boarding passes.

If you ask an attendant where something is (like the gate where your next flight is due to board) make sure they actually look at a computer screen before answering you. If they answer without looking, they are likely wrong and you'll end up like me running your ass off just in time to see your plane leave.

Check the helpful displays every 15 minutes or so to see if your flight is still boarding at the same gate. Sometimes these change without warning. Same with the time, it's unlikely they will change the departure time by more than a few minutes if it's less than two hours - 90 minutes before. It is not impossible however, I once had a flight leave just under two hours early once, and had to wait for twelve hours in the airport :(

Rule of thumb, be checked in and ready three hours before hand.

If by some cruel fate you do miss your flight, first do NOT panic. It's a horrible feeling of depression, anxiety and some humiliation, but the situation is not as bad you think. Go to the help desk and explain your situation, politely and without yelling screaming them, even if it is somehow their fault. You will be given a hotel voucher (if it's a long wait till the next flight) as well as meal vouchers. The hotel voucher is always in a nice place with free shuttle transport. Meal vouchers are misleading however, they do not go "voucher = 1 meal" but are in fact more like "voucher = up to $$ to be redeemed at restaurant in airport" It's usually $7, but considering the average price of food expect to still pay a little extra.

Finally, at connecting flights especially, watch the displays... sometimes someone will not show up or cancels at the last minute, and they will be offering his seat at a huge discount... sometimes this is in first class. Stupidly I once let the chance slip buy to sit in first class for only $80 extra.

Good luck.

Falx on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KingPleb wrote: »
    The destination: I know shit all about Qatar. I'm there to visit my dad but he'll be working for a decent portion of the time I'll be there so I need to figure out what I can do there. If anyone has been to Qatar specifically or know of some Arabic touristy stuff I can while I'm there, I'd be glad for any info.

My Dad lived and worked in Doha up until last year, i only went out there to visit him once and i was fairly young (14 or so) as i remember it there isnt a whole lot to do. Spent the Majority of our time out of the house at a local hotel with a private beach / pool. We went at the end august and it was too hot to go out between 11 and 1.

As someone who is older i would hope it might be better for you but i found it to be quite a boring trip.

You could ask your dad ofc :P

Afty on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You can take two pieces of carry-on, use this even if you only have one bag. I suggest a small-medium sized backpack for books/magazines/napkins/medicines and a small camera bag or fanny pack. Use this to keep your passport/visa/id cards as well as your tickets, boarding pass and such. Do not throw away your original ticket as they usually staple your baggage number on there. Do throw away your old boarding passes.

Some places (in the UK at least) you can only take on board one item of hand luggage.

A secret wallet thing or 'fanny pack' is always a nice idea for keeping important documents nearby. I always keep all bits of paper, you never know when it might be needed.

Also get everywhere in plenty of time. Far better to be ridiculously early and sit in a coffee shop for a bit than to be late and miss things.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera