As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis: Freeze rays, Koreans and You

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
So, what is Crysis?
crysis.jpg

Crysis is a first person shooter developed by Crytek, the company who also made Far Cry.

What's it about?

Storyline

Earth, 2019.

A team of US scientists makes a frightening discovery on an island in the South China Sea. All contact with the team is lost when the North Korean Government quickly seals off the area.

The US responds by dispatching an elite team of Delta Force Operators to recon the situation. As tension rises between the two nations, a massive alien ship reveals itself in the middle of the island. The ship generates an immense force sphere that freezes a vast portion of the island and drastically alters the global weather system.

Now the US and North Korea must join forces to battle the alien menace. With hope rapidly fading, you must fight epic battles through tropical jungle, frozen landscapes, and finally into the heart of the alien ship itself for the ultimate Zero G showdown.

crysis_2.jpg

Why should I play this?

Many reviewers are proclaiming it the best game released this year, and the ones who are not are still praising it for the quality gaming experience.
crysis8_2.jpg

Crysis: Warhead

This is an expansion to the original game where you play as another teammember of the special ops force tasked to deal with the events in Crysis. This time you take the role of "Psycho", and go on a rampage through the landscapes of the game to battle koreans and aliens alike.

crysis-warhead-111.jpg
Crysis%20Warhead.jpg

Crysis 2

The sequel is currently under development. Here is the trailer they have chosen to release of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBwReBKYs2s

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey a non beta topic, cool.

I think this is needed, I hate the intro nonsense. EA really went over the top this time with them.
    Disable Intro Videos:

1. Goto the directory: \Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Localized\Video

2. Rename all the .sfd files (e.g. to ._sfd), except bg.sfd which is the main menu background. This will make the game skip the intro videos and go straight to the menu.

And here is another one, make Koreans speak Korean on all difficulty levels:
    It is very simple, and this is how I did it on the demo, there is no reason why it wouldn't work in the full game.

Go to:
    Crysis\Game\Config and look for the .cfg for whatever difficulty that you play on, such as:
    diff_easy.cfg
    diff_normal.cfg
    diff_hard.cfg

Obviously, the hardest one, diff_bauer.cfg, already has the enemies speaking in Korean, so this won't make a difference.

Okay, now find the line that says:
    -- AI voice readability
    ai_UseAlternativeReadability = 1

And change the value to '0'.

Crysis tweaking guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html

Now that all of that is out of the way, I have a question, can I turn off Cloak or do I need to wait for it to run out of energy and turn itself off?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll repeat my question from the other thread again: is there a way to get vista to treat the editor like it's in "game mode" so that it releases the RAM?

EDIT: you can turn of cloak by just switching to one of the other modes (or fireing and completely draining your energy)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    EDIT: you can turn of cloak by just switching to one of the other modes (or fireing and completely draining your energy)

When I switch modes it just sticks me in that mode with cloak still on. I think?

But anyway, the (male) voice of the suit is pretty badass. Makes me feel like a tuffguy when I change modes and hear it speak to me.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

When I switch modes it just sticks me in that mode with cloak still on. I think?

But anyway, the (male) voice of the suit is pretty badass. Makes me feel like a tuffguy when I change modes and hear it speak to me.

Are you sure? Maybe you should check again. Changing back to maximum armor seems to work for me.

capable heart on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I DO NOT want to start an issue here, I just want to ask the following question:

Has anybody been playing with a gamepad (preferably a 360 one, but others count too) and if so, what are your impressions?

DO NOT respond to my question by trying to insist that gamepads are inferior, or whatever. This is not the place for a stupid flamewar, and I'm not here to advocate anything, just to get some information for personal use.

Evander on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I DO NOT want to start an issue here, I just want to ask the following question:

Has anybody been playing with a gamepad (preferably a 360 one, but others count too) and if so, what are your impressions?

DO NOT respond to my question by trying to insist that gamepads are inferior, or whatever. This is not the place for a stupid flamewar, and I'm not here to advocate anything, just to get some information for personal use.

I'm wanting to know how it is on the 360 pad too. Please enlighten us! :D

Polago on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The snow areas in this game are beautiful

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The one thing I have really noticed about Crysis (and I'd like to get other people's opinion as maybe my install fucked up) but the sound in the game is awful. The first time I came across a waterfall it was insanely good looking and detailed to the point that the mist of water has the rainbow refraction pattern. And yet standing in it, I could not hear the sound of water, at all. In fact all the environments seem to be devoid of any sort of ambient noise. You'd expect to hear animals, and branches breaking underfoot and the rustle of the leaves in the wind but there's just none of that. It seems so disappointing when you compare it to the visual experience, which is nothing short of phenominal, and clearly a generation at least ahead of anything else out there when it comes to attempting to achieve photorealism.

Apart from that though, the game is pretty amazing. It's a completely different FPS experience from most other games, with STALKER being the only thing that comes close to it. I love the play mechanics of the nanosuit, it adds so much to the game. And they seemed to have paced the game really well so far. Everytime I'm starting to get a little bored of what I'm doing they manage to switch up the environment or add in little things. AI kinda pisses me off with any patrol craft or helicopter able to spot me the instant I uncloak, and they're more accurate with their machine guns than I am with my High Powered Sniper rifle.

Crysis is, probably in a lot of ways a victim of it's own success. The graphics are soo good that you end wanting to turn them up way past the edge of playability. And it's ability to present a realistic (well, as realistic as aliens in nanosuits go) environment makes it the game seem tame compared to Brukheimer-esk explosion fests such as CoD4. That's not to say one game is necessarily better than the other, but they achieve such disparate things that any comparison will immeadiatly seem unfair depending on the goal of the reviewer. If you want to star in a movie, CoD4 is the way to go. If you want to learn how to massacre Koreans, then Crysis probably offers you a pretty good training manual.

edit: as for 360 version/pad. I can't really see this being hard to play on a controller, especially compared to fragfests such as HL2. All my movements are real slow and steady, with an emphasis on movement, and stealth usually overriding twitch action gameplay.

Rook on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I played the demo with my 360 controller and it worked very well, although the prone command was not available and the turning speed was not adjustable and (IMO) too slow. I do not have the full version so I don't know if they made it adjustable or not.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've read a number of reviews that says this game starts strong and falls right on it's ass while bringing the cliche and boring.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game is pretty much everything they gush about, thus far for me. It's not your typical FPS however, and I think that's where people will have some problems. It's a lot like Far Cry, which turned me off because it was more of a Sandbox FPS, and that really messed with me. Too used to being led by the hand to the next explosion bursting objective. With Crysis I've buckled down though and immersed myself more, the visuals helping a lot to make it actually seem real.

Yes, the visuals kick ass, everyones got that part down. The physics are fairly top notch, although there are a few oddities, like not being able to move bodies etc, although I'm not sure if that has to do with my physics settings or not. I pretty much have to run everything at medium on a 7800GT.

The suit powers are pretty cool and add some depth to the game, and you'll have to make good use of them. The realistic car physics rock, in terms of shooting people's tires out or jumping into them etc. Best part? Literally breaking apart houses to mow down enemies, or shooting down whole parts of jungle, watching trees fall everywhere. It really redefines a lot of what you can do to affect the world in an FPS, in terms of environmental effects on how you handle your enemy. Damn though, those Koreans are sharp sighted.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I've read a number of reviews that says this game starts strong and falls right on it's ass while bringing the cliche and boring.

First half of the game is awesome.

Second half is Doom 3.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GadeusGadeus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Completely untrue, I felt that the game got better and better as it progressed.

Gadeus on
    Brawl Code: 2105-8329-7282
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Everything goes downhill from the Vtol ride......
    To be fair though, the Vtol (Are they actually called Vtols?) ride more than makes up for it....
    I love me some motherfucking Vtols.
    (Seriously, if I am just rambling, I'm thinking of the US dropships.)

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Urgel wrote: »
    To be fair though, the Vtol (Are they actually called Vtols?) ride more than makes up for it....

VTOL, an acronym. Stands for Vertical Take-Off and Landing. Refers to V-22 Ospreys, the new F-35, which technically is a SVTOL (because it can go supersonic) and the Harrier.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

VTOL, an acronym. Stands for Vertical Take-Off and Landing. Refers to V-22 Ospreys, the new F-35, which technically is a SVTOL (because it can go supersonic) and the Harrier.

Thanks, for a moment I thought I had made that name up....
    The Vtol ride is excellent. I need to install the editor and make me some Vtol maps.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

They US dropships are indeed VTOLs, but VTOL is not really a designation, it's a type of craft as it stands for Vertical Take-Off and Landing. Therefore a Harrier jumpjet counts as a VTOL, but that's not the actual craft's name, if you get my meaning. *EDIT: Beat'D!*

This game is truly spectacular. I've been lucky enough to play it on max settings minus anti aliasing with a very steady framerate. If there was one thing that really blew me away though it was the zero-g segment that was alluded to in early previews. That really blew me away as well as the ice stuff. I can't wait to see a solid multiplayer community spring up around this game. Running around in the plethora of vehicles, filled with allies seems like so potential awesome, as well as long games that go through the day/night cycles.

Also, am I the only one that thinks this game needs a mod where your skin is changed to Grey Fox and you get a sword weapon as well? The stealth and speed aspects really made me yearn for this.
    Mod-community! Make this happen!

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The melee is a bit disappointing. There's nothing worse than throwing a Korean against a wall, then having to wait for him to stand back up before you can grab him again. A CoD4 style skewer attack would be awesome.

Rook on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should play without AA on anyways, as it fucks up the foliage which has its own separate kind of filtering and AA which is turned off when you put overall AA on.

So you put AA on and the foliage looks more jaggy than befor.e

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ForceHereticForceHeretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone know if my comp can handle it?

AMD 3700+
    7600GT
    1 gig ram

ForceHeretic on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    The melee is a bit disappointing. There's nothing worse than throwing a Korean against a wall, then having to wait for him to stand back up before you can grab him again. A CoD4 style skewer attack would be awesome.

The Koreans are getting back up again? Whenever I throw anything it always seems to die as soon as it's thrown. I do normally have the strength mode on at the time though. I've also not experimented much with melee weapon attacks, such as pistol whipping, as I completely forgot such a thing was possible.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    exoplasm wrote: »
    I played the demo with my 360 controller and it worked very well, although the prone command was not available and the turning speed was not adjustable and (IMO) too slow. I do not have the full version so I don't know if they made it adjustable or not.

Were there any issues of having to use menus not present in the KB&M control scheme, because of a lack of buttons, or anything?

Also, can anyone confirm if prone controls for a gamepad do exist in the full version, and also if there are any other commands missing on a gamepad?

I don't have the adapter yet to use my360 controller on my PC, but as long as it is properly implimented, this is a game I think it would be worth picking up for.

Evander on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Were there any issues of having to use menus not present in the KB&M control scheme, because of a lack of buttons, or anything?

All of the menus worked fine with the gamepad, with the exception that in the weapon mod menu if you pressed B to exit it would disable your right stick for looking until you opened and closed it again. Though if you closed it with the same button that opens it (I don't recall which right now) it worked fine. I never would have used the prone function anyway as doing anything other than standing seemed useless.

Overall the gamepad was perfectly fine to use in the demo, though turning speed really should have been adjustable. I didn't use KBAM because my PC was hooked up to my TV in the living room at the time.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    runwiled wrote: »

The Koreans are getting back up again? Whenever I throw anything it always seems to die as soon as it's thrown. I do normally have the strength mode on at the time though. I've also not experimented much with melee weapon attacks, such as pistol whipping, as I completely forgot such a thing was possible.

Yeah, I don't put on strength mode... I just like seeing them suffer.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

All of the menus worked fine with the gamepad, with the exception that in the weapon mod menu if you pressed B to exit it would disable your right stick for looking until you opened and closed it again. Though if you closed it with the same button that opens it (I don't recall which right now) it worked fine. I never would have used the prone function anyway as doing anything other than standing seemed useless.

Overall the gamepad was perfectly fine to use in the demo, though turning speed really should have been adjustable. I didn't use KBAM because my PC was hooked up to my TV in the living room at the time.

Hmmm...

Anyone who owns the full game want to look in the gamepad control options menu for me, and see if they list the prone comand as being mapped to anything? Even if it is rarely used, or entirelyuseless, I hatethe idea of losing one of my commands.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Does anyone else get a bunch of pop-up with rocks and trees?

I have noticed it quite often, running on a e6600 w/ 8800gts.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I noticed it more with rocks and grass than with trees.

But this was in the demo, with an e4400, and a 8400gs, so I wasn't suprised by it.

Evander on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    only got the demo, and my system specs are a bit odd, I've got one of the new 8800gt's and the game looks friggen amazing unfortunately, my processor is a p43.0GHz and then i've got a gig of ddr1 memory. So it looks amazing but when ever I do something new for the first time like shoot a gun or something it slows down like shit. eventually it gets more playable I guess cause it starts putting the data into cache or something. But very fun game I'm going to pick it up when I get the chance but I've played the demo maybe 10 times I just love throwing those explosive barrels into house and watching them blow up

Dixon on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited November 2007
    The first half of the game definitely makes me feel like I'm a special operations super-soldier. I can go in guns blazing or I can sneak around like real operators and such should during a covert mission.. I love the freedom to tackle the missions as I see fit..

It runs surprisingly well on my old-ass rig (Athlon 64 1.8GHz, 1.5GB PC3200 DDR RAM, Audigy SE, Radeon X800XL) at low-medium settings... which doesn't look all that bad. I just ordered an 8600GTS OC so I should see some improvement there.

If I have one significant complaint it's that the weapons are too weak. This is especially true at longer ranges and with the suppressor equipped. That's when it takes nearly one and a half mags to take down a baddie. Of course, head shots are instant kills (sometimes, I found), but the weapons should be a little more powerful than that.. geez.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You can manually alter the settings so you don't get this.

e_cull_veg_activation 70
    e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio 1.5
    e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation 50
    e_detail_materials_view_dist_z 256
    e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy 4096
    r_texturesstreaming 0

Rook on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Merovingi wrote: »
    The first half of the game definitely makes me feel like I'm a special operations super-soldier. I can go in guns blazing or I can sneak around like real operators and such should during a covert mission.. I love the freedom to tackle the missions as I see fit..

It runs surprisingly well on my old-ass rig (Athlon 64 1.8GHz, 1.5GB PC3200 DDR RAM, Audigy SE, Radeon X800XL) at low-medium settings... which doesn't look all that bad. I just ordered an 8600GTS OC so I should see some improvement there.

If I have one significant complaint it's that the weapons are too weak. This is especially true at longer ranges and with the suppressor equipped. That's when it takes nearly one and a half mags to take down a baddie. Of course, head shots are instant kills (sometimes, I found), but the weapons should be a little more powerful than that.. geez.

Might want to cancel the order for the 8600GTS, the Radeon 3850 is much faster and around the same pricepoint

Rook on
  • Options
    StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Point and a question.

Point:

Alien levels without ammo are Goddamn stupid you dumb sons of bitches God damnit rabblerabblerabble

Question:
    So I'm in the alien "temple" with very little ammo. I'm in a large room, where for a moment the screen goes black, and then you say "Oh shit, they're waking up!" And then bad guys start spawning and there doesn't seem to be an end to them, and I'm not sure where to go. Does anyone remember this spot?

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still only on the 2nd level, but the inability to move corpses seems even more stupid, since apparently physics are still enabled on them. There's a river that a KPA group patrols by, and after I killed them, they bobbed up and down, and floated downriver.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There's a lot of more options for melee. Simply press 't' to hit someone with everything that's small enough to swing around, like your hands, your gun, shovels, branches, bottles etc. Also, you can snap peoples neck after you grabbed them with the same key.
    Merovingi wrote: »
    If I have one significant complaint it's that the weapons are too weak. This is especially true at longer ranges and with the suppressor equipped. That's when it takes nearly one and a half mags to take down a baddie. Of course, head shots are instant kills (sometimes, I found)
    In order to insta-kill those wearing a helmet with a headshot, YOU'VE GONNA SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE!

Needle on
  • Options
    TheCapnTheCapn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just finished the game, and I don't think the ending is nearly as bad as everyone says. Anyhow.

Does anyone else have the issue where you put the DVD in the drive, and it clicks and whirrs for 30-45 seconds? This morning when I booted my computer it wouldn't go past the BIOS screen until I opened the DVD drive. I've found many posts about it on the interwebs, but no real solutions.

TheCapn on
    Tacopants - a tasty comfortable combination.
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Any hints on the VTOL section, I must be the world worse pilot. I can't get past it for the life of me.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The one thing I have really noticed about Crysis (and I'd like to get other people's opinion as maybe my install fucked up) but the sound in the game is awful. The first time I came across a waterfall it was insanely good looking and detailed to the point that the mist of water has the rainbow refraction pattern. And yet standing in it, I could not hear the sound of water, at all. In fact all the environments seem to be devoid of any sort of ambient noise. You'd expect to hear animals, and branches breaking underfoot and the rustle of the leaves in the wind but there's just none of that. It seems so disappointing when you compare it to the visual experience, which is nothing short of phenominal, and clearly a generation at least ahead of anything else out there when it comes to attempting to achieve photorealism.

Sounds like there might be a problem with your game/system interface because there is definately a ton of noise from walking around through the foliage. I haven't come across any waterfalls (I haven't played that much yet) so I cant say about that.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Stover wrote: »
    Point and a question.

Point:

Alien levels without ammo are Goddamn stupid you dumb sons of bitches God damnit rabblerabblerabble

Question:
    So I'm in the alien "temple" with very little ammo. I'm in a large room, where for a moment the screen goes black, and then you say "Oh shit, they're waking up!" And then bad guys start spawning and there doesn't seem to be an end to them, and I'm not sure where to go. Does anyone remember this spot?
    You just have to wait for the electric crap to reach the big airlock door on the other side of the room. Just stay back there and pick off any squiddy buggers that come at you. I have no idea why you're having problems with ammo as I had plenty and was playing on Hard. You should be picking it up in those pods filled with objects pulled in from the outside world.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh. I never saw any ammo coming from there, but then again I never really thought to look. I'll probably have to back up and start looking for some.

I'm playing it on hard too, and its kind of silly (and also manly) to fight the aliens barehanded. A Strength punch still one-shots them, I think, but they just move too Goddamn fast.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You can manually alter the settings so you don't get this.

e_cull_veg_activation 70
    e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio 1.5
    e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation 50
    e_detail_materials_view_dist_z 256
    e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy 4096
    r_texturesstreaming 0

Which file to I put that in? The game.cfg? Do I need to do anything special? It says in there the game regenerates it all the time.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!