As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AMD comes out with dirt-cheap quad core, fucking finally.

DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/19/the_spider_weaves_its_web/page20.html

AMD Phenom 9500. Quad core for $248. Not as fast as a Core 2 Quad but not as expensive, either, and it will work in old, cheap Socket AM2 motherboards since AMD realizes that it kinda sucks to have to replace your motherboard every time you upgrade your processor.

It's clear that AMD doesn't have enough oomph to take on the absurdly expensive high-end Intel stuff, but that's okay because I don't have the kind of money to spend a thousand fucking dollars for a chip. Hell, even $248 is a little high, but I figure it'll get lower within a few months.

Still, this is nice. Affordable quad core. Not bad at all. Not that anything is actually using four cores right now, but still, "teh futyoore" and all.

Daedalus on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The intel q6600 is 279 and beats out the phenom 9700 at everything. The c2d e6600 dual core beats it out in ALMOST everything as well and can be had for 220$. The biggest advantage I can see for the phenom is being able to use any board, but that is a huge disadvantage as well, as it causes unnecessary bottlenecks.

edit: noticed a couple of benchmarks in there where the quad cores did better.

stigweard on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's a review from Anandtech, it has the newest Intel processors thrown into the mix as well.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    son of a bitch ... I just bought an AMD Athlon 64X2 two days ago.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I get the feeling by the time something can use this that itill be outdated and we would have to upgrade anyways....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DioretsaDioretsa Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As much as I love AMD, there is no reason to buy these chips. They just aren't inexpensive enough to make up for the performance loss a 6600.

Dioretsa on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dioretsa wrote: »
    As much as I love AMD, there is no reason to buy these chips. They just aren't inexpensive enough to make up for the performance loss a 6600.
    The CPU market is so cut throat now that I don't see how AMD has lasted this long. AMD can't win at price wars. Intel just has more money to burn. And to be honest, for the average desktop user, the processor isn't something to get excited about anymore. It's not going to get interesting until they start putting GPUs on the die.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    The CPU market is so cut throat now that I don't see how AMD has lasted this long. AMD can't win at price wars. Intel just has more money to burn. And to be honest, for the average desktop user, the processor isn't something to get excited about anymore. It's not going to get interesting until they start putting GPUs on the die.
    Nah, the average user will still pay a premium to get hosed, maybe the gap will skrink, but nothing's gonna change that much for Aunt Judy and Granmda Peters.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I get the feeling by the time something can use this that itill be outdated and we would have to upgrade anyways....

AVISynth to decode, VirtualDub to encode, and I'd still have 2 cores left over so that I could actually get work done.

3D rendering and video rendering is helped out immensely by multi-core and multi-processor systems.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

The only reason the the CPU market is cutthroat is because of AMD. Who else does Intel seriously compete with? Cyrex? :P AMD is such a threat and still around because Intel got complacent in the past. Remember the Pentium 4? Used up tons more power, generated much more heat, and ran worse than AMD cpus that were clocked at much slower frequencies (and usually cheaper too). Intel sparked the PC revolution with their Pentium series, but they dropped the ball and that let AMD come in and take the crown with their Athlon 64 line. AMD was the first to break the 1GHz barrier, the first to bring 64 bit cpus as well as dual-core to desktops. You have to give AMD props for consistently outplaying the Intel juggernaut for years despite being the much smaller company.

AMD is facing a tough time right now because Intel has finally gotten back in gear, and despite their stumbling Intel remains the bigger company. The CPU industry is founded on non-stop R&D, so the larger company has a distinct advantage. AMD has to play smart to win the crown back, the purchase of ATi may be such an attempt. Put a GPU in a CPU and take Intel's integrated graphics market, there's certainly a lot of possibilities for the future. In any case, AMD should stick around for the benefit of us the consumers. Competition increases product quality and drives down cost, which everyone can benefit from.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fucking socket AM2, why did they have to change the socket on us three times in two years?

I need a new motherboard because mine is broken and I can't afford to replace the whole machine, but it's a goddamn 939 and they're really hard to find now. To think, at the time I thought I was being smart for adopting Socket 939, because my friend had just gotten fucked over for building a Socket 754 machine. I don't think even a year went buy before they switched it up again.

Azio on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    Fucking socket AM2, why did they have to change the socket on us three times in two years?

I need a new motherboard because mine is broken and I can't afford to replace the whole machine, but it's a goddamn 939 and they're really hard to find now. To think, at the time I thought I was being smart for adopting Socket 939, because my friend had just gotten fucked over for building a Socket 754 machine. I don't think even a year went buy before they switched it up again.

well, while I partially agree with you, it's not 100% good on the intel side either. sure they've had the same socket for like, 4 years now, but, try plugging ina new C2Q 6600 into a 2.5 year old motherboard. Won't work.

AMD is still in the market because for about 3 years, they were hands down the better chips. Now intel is hands down the better chip. I love AMD, think they do really good things, but there is just no way to justify buying an AMD part in a gaming machine. If I were to buy a cheap server/media player machine, I'd consider an AMD part, because you can find an Energy Efficent X2 for uner $100, but for anything where I'd do "heavy lifting" intel is king.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The socket itself should be identical for AM2, AM2+, and AM3. The only difference that I'm aware of is that AM2+ motherboards processors support a faster HyperTransport bus, and AM3 will support DDR3 in addition to DDR2. So long as your motherboard gets a BIOS update to support the new CPUs you should be able to use an AM3 processor in an AM2 motherboard, and all that will happen is that it'll use the slower HyperTransport 1.0 and only support DDR2 memory.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

well, while I partially agree with you, it's not 100% good on the intel side either. sure they've had the same socket for like, 4 years now, but, try plugging ina new C2Q 6600 into a 2.5 year old motherboard. Won't work.

Exactly. People seem to forget that with Intel, everything is reliant on the chipset the motherboard is running, and well, Intel switches and changes chipsets like there's no tomorrow.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.