As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bender's Big Score and the rebirth of Futurama

lemone_powahlemone_powah Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
My first attempt at making a new thread all by myself, here's hoping that I haven't screwed things up too badly. Feel free to let me know if I do, however.

So! Bender's Big Score is going to be coming out this Tuesday, which surprised me when I found out, I thought it wasn't due until Q1 of next year. See IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471711/

For those of you not in the know, BBS is the first of four straight to DVD Futurama releases, which will be chopped up into 15 or so episodes which will then air on Comedy Central. If this proves popular enough, then more might come in whatever form. The other DVD titles are The Beast with a Billion Backs, Bender's Game, and The Wild Green Yonder. A cute little commercial for BBS can be seen on amazon.xom: http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-Benders-Score-John-DiMaggio/dp/B000UZDO62.

The basic plot
is that Planet Express has been victim of a hostile takeover, and their new bosses send Bender back in time to steal the world's most valuable treasures. This ability apparently comes from Fry's ass.

After so many years of rumors of its coming return (since it was canceled, IIRC) how do you guys feel now that it seems to be happening for real real not for play play? Are you stoked like me, cautiously optimistic, or pessimistic? Are you going to pick it up ASAP, or wait until a friend does/it comes on CC? What do you want to see, which characters are you most excited about seeing again?

lemone_powah on

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

but in all seriousness, yeah I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm just worried they're going to try too hard to recapture the charm. It's the same reason I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the various efforts to bring Firefly back.

It's a god damned Greek tragedy that it was canceled, but once it's gone. Sometimes it should stay gone.

That said, I'm buying this ASAP and am eager for more!

VoodooV on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was one of those people who, admittedly, did not really like Futurama when it first came out. I thought "Oh, look - it's the Simpson's in Space!"

Lord, how I was wrong.

I didn't actually end up watching a lot of the episodes until Adult Swim, but it rapidly became one of my favorite shows.

I am cautiously optimistic and I intend to purchase this on the day of release as a way of atoning for being one of the people who contributed to the loss of this show in the first place.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It is powerfully great. Almost as great as Bender. He's the greatest!

If they can keep the other movies at this level of quality, then I think everything's gonna be allll right.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holy crap I thought all this futurama coming back shit was internet idoicy

nexuscrawler on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holy crap I thought all this futurama coming back shit was internet idoicy

The more you know!

;-)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm cautiously optimistic as well. I have a feeling this could turn out to be another "Family Guy" situation where the new show sucks fucking ass because the writers are trying too hard to appeal to longtime fans and/or trying to be "edgy" instead of clever and funny.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

If they can keep the other movies at this level of quality, then I think everything's gonna be allll right.

It was ok. Not bad at all, but not the high point of what the show has done.

End spoiler (seriously, don't ruin it, there's only 4 more days):
    I think they lost a Fry. There was main-Fry and beard-Fry, but what happened to pizza-Fry that went into the same cryogenics tube as main-Fry?

The whole thing ended on a cliff hanger, so I'm hoping they didn't lose that big a plot point and they resolve it later.

Also, I kind of wish they hadn't touched Fry's dog. I cheered like hell when he finally got a break, but that kind of ruined it for me. It worked as this pure symbol of unwavering loyalty tinged with some serious tragedy. Having him not really have suffered dilutes him as an icon.

werehippy on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Reply to ultra-spoiler posted above! Beware!
    Pizza-Fry was Main-Fry. Main-Fry comes back in time for pizza, and gets stuck in tube. The other Fry is the copy that goes on to become Beard-Fry.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    werehippy wrote: »

It was ok. Not bad at all, but not the high point of what the show has done.

End spoiler (seriously, don't ruin it, there's only 4 more days):
    I think they lost a Fry. There was main-Fry and beard-Fry, but what happened to pizza-Fry that went into the same cryogenics tube as main-Fry?

The whole thing ended on a cliff hanger, so I'm hoping they didn't lose that big a plot point and they resolve it later.

Also, I kind of wish they hadn't touched Fry's dog. I cheered like hell when he finally got a break, but that kind of ruined it for me. It worked as this pure symbol of unwavering loyalty tinged with some serious tragedy. Having him not really have suffered dilutes him as an icon.

If you have not seen it do not read it
    They didn't lose a fry
    Fry went back in time to save himself
    then when he went back again for the pizza he caused himself not to go back to get pizza creating the clone "beard fry". We see all the events happening to beard fry until bender almost kills him and he refreezes himself. The main fry on the other hand falls into the tube with the fry who is going to the future for the first time. There were no other fry's created.

As for the cliffhanger I think it will be the basis of the beginning portion of the next movie and involve them fixing all the time mucking bender did.

As for seymour think of it this way his master came back but then several years later he left for 2 years and immediately after seeing him again his final moment is spent seeing his master die which is almost just as tragic. It also in my opinion gave more meaning to fry's decision to not clone the fossil since it was now fitting since seymour had infact lived a full life with fry and fry was making the right decision instead of making the wrong and depressingly ironic one.

Ohtsam on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chanukah's zombie is awesome.

Couscous on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Happy New Year naked weirdo.

YodaTuna on
    edited November 2007
    Pizza-Fry was Main-Fry. Main-Fry comes back in time for pizza, and gets stuck in tube. The other Fry is the copy that goes on to become Beard-Fry.

I need to watch it again I think.
    For some reason I thought Pizza-Fry feel into the tube with Main-Fry, meaning there were two Frys going into the future and waking up in the year 3000. To avoid a paradox I thought something had to happen to Pizza-Fry sometime between the years 2000 and 3000 so that there wouldn't be two Fry's when the tube thawed in the future.

Honestly, watching it again is no chore, so I'll see if another pass next week sorts it all out for me.

werehippy on
    edited November 2007

I need to watch it again I think.
    For some reason I thought Pizza-Fry feel into the tube with Main-Fry, meaning there were two Frys going into the future and waking up in the year 3000. To avoid a paradox I thought something had to happen to Pizza-Fry sometime between the years 2000 and 3000 so that there wouldn't be two Fry's when the tube thawed in the future.

Honestly, watching it again is no chore, so I'll see if another pass next week sorts it all out for me.
    what happened is the pizza fry after the main fry stepped out set the freezer to let him out after he would have left to go to the past

Ohtsam on
    edited November 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    As for seymour think of it this way his master came back but then several years later he left for 2 years and immediately after seeing him again his final moment is spent seeing his master die which is almost just as tragic. It also in my opinion gave more meaning to fry's decision to not clone the fossil since it was now fitting since seymour had infact lived a full life with fry and fry was making the right decision instead of making the wrong and depressingly ironic one.

I don't know, I'm still not happy about that.
    In my mind, Seymour is the single greatest thing they ever did on the show. Such an amazing and powerful story, especially given the tragic end. To fuck with it, especially in a throw away manner like that, seems like they just threw in the reference for fans without thinking about the heart that went into the original.

Though I will say I did like the fossilization. That was good.

Maybe it's just me. I know it's cliche and overused, but Seymour is one of the best things in any form of storytelling for me. If you can't really add to the original, just let it be.

werehippy on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man, comic-con's futurama panel was so much better than famliy guy's, it actually didn't turn into a "can you sign my ______" - fest.

needless to say I will be supporting futurama in any way possible. and so will you!!

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007

In my mind, Seymour is the single greatest thing they ever did on the show. Such an amazing and powerful story, especially given the tragic end. To fuck with it, especially in a throw away manner like that, seems like they just threw in the reference for fans without thinking about the heart that went into the original.

Maybe it's just me. I know it's cliche and overused, but Seymour is one of the best things in any form of storytelling for me. If you can't really add to the original, just let it be.
    I admit the orginal loses a lot because of it
    but because they needed fry to go back into that time period there was almost no way around it
    the plan was for fry to go back and pickup his life until bender caught up
    seymour was fry's pet on the job and fry went back to his old job
    unless they drastically modified lars and what fry did in the 21st century it was impossible to not modify seymour

on a side note I've been wondering
    How the hell the time loop started in the first place (meaning where did the tattoo originate from)

and (theory) if the universe rips maybe stopping the time loop from occuring would fix it and therefore restore everything in a large deus ex machina

Ohtsam on
    edited November 2007

but because they needed fry to go back into that time period there was almost no way around it
    unless they drastically modified lars and what fry did in the 21st century it was impossible to not modify seymour

How the hell the time loop started in the first place (meaning where did the tattoo originate from)

and (theory) if the universe rips maybe stopping the time loop from occuring would fix it and therefore restore everything in a large deus ex machina

I can see the why of it within the story, I'm just of the opinion that if your choices are between doing that or reworking your story, you rework your story in this case.

As to your spoiler, which no one should read if they haven't seen the movie
    I always thought of these things as an iterative sort of process. Somehow the first pass through time, they got the secret of time travel and had various shenanigans that ultimately ended with them putting a tattoo on Fry's ass in the past and cause events on the next pass to play out the way they did with what we saw.

It will be interesting to see if they address it in the later movies or just treat it as a given.

werehippy on
    edited November 2007

I can see the why of it within the story, I'm just of the opinion that if your choices are between doing that or reworking your story, you rework your story in this case.

As to your spoiler, which no one should read if they haven't seen the movie
    I always thought of these things as an iterative sort of process. Somehow the first pass through time, they got the secret of time travel and had various shenanigans that ultimately ended with them putting a tattoo on Fry's ass in the past and cause events on the next pass to play out the way they did with what we saw.

It will be interesting to see if they address it in the later movies or just treat it as a given.

In any case anyone who is intrigued by this film but hasn't seen that much futurama I highly suggest you watch at least: The 1st episode and seasons 4 & 5
    It will still be a great movie without having seen those but the experiance is even better knowing some of the plot of the series.

Ohtsam on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I was one of those people who, admittedly, did not really like Futurama when it first came out. I thought "Oh, look - it's the Simpson's in Space!"

Lord, how I was wrong.

I didn't actually end up watching a lot of the episodes until Adult Swim, but it rapidly became one of my favorite shows.

I am cautiously optimistic and I intend to purchase this on the day of release as a way of atoning for being one of the people who contributed to the loss of this show in the first place.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. I'm crossing my fingers and remaining hopeful.

Also, OP needs to add "Good News, everyone!" somewhere.

Jragghen on
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought the movie was far from the best to come from Futurama, but it was definitely a worthy addition. Does anyone know when the next movie is supposed to come out?

Ninja Bot on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    see... I kinda stole it, and it wasn't bad. It was kinda a tribute to itself, and well... it wasn't phenomenal. Now, this is without all the dvd extras, which apparently includes half an hour of "everybody loves hypnotoad" and all sorts of other shit.

I'm going to go buy one, cause I love that kind of shit.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This was really really good. Not as good as the best Futurama episodes, but still pretty awesome.
    THIS IS LEGAL TENDER, BRAAAALGLGHGHLAALHGHGLH!

Evil Multifarious on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I probably will.

Is anyone else a bit let down by the plot? I mean, the synopsis on IMDB makes me think that they've just rehashed two old episodes. Their re-doing a hostile take over, and re-doing Bender joining the mob.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited November 2007
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I probably will.

Is anyone else a bit let down by the plot? I mean, the synopsis on IMDB makes me think that they've just rehashed two old episodes. Their re-doing a hostile take over, and re-doing Bender joining the mob.

no trust me it is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from both of those occasions

Ohtsam on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    it was just kinda fan servicey, and kinda a lot of show meta humor, and I just don't think it worked all that well. It wasn't really ironic enough to be funny, and... eh... I think the next one will be better because there won't be the same pressure of being the first one back.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It was good. Not as good as the best episodes, but still good.

It was a bit over-fan servicey (almost every character ever either has a line or is seen in the background, even the Star Trek cast is seen), but it does add more to the character and show history and does add some new material for future shows (character spoiler
    Like Nibbler revealing himself
    ).

Invisible on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought it was great overall, but a bit too erratic, bizarre and self-referential at times It was a lot more like season 4 than any of the others. I don't know, I liked it better when it was more slowly-paced; this just seemed like it was going a mile a minute. Not that it wasn't great.

I really hated the scammer aliens, though. They were disgusting and didn't make a whole ton of sense. I guess they weren't supposed to, but I didn't think they brought anything significant to the plot or the humor.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay I caved. It is by far the funniest movie I have ever watched. I can't count the number of times I burst into laughter, and still felt laughter aftershocks after the movie was over.

Yeah, it's somewhat fan-servicey, but that works out great for me because I'm a fan.

One of the little things that I enjoyed was Bender repeating his line "It's gonna be fun on a bun!" I just loved the delivery the first time around and was tickled to see something I enjoyed (but never quoted) come up again. But even if you don't get some of the "in-jokes" there's more than enough new stuff.

In my opinion this isn't just a "decent" Family Guy-style revival, but an honest to goodness roaring return.

More spoiler-y thoughts:
    I thought they handled the time travel well; by making it so convoluted it's inherently funny.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just bought it and watched it. Enjoyed it immensely. Yes, it wasn't the best episode out there but it was a good one still.

I do kinda agree with werehippy about
    Seymour and also about Yancey's kid - why would they name him Philip J. Fry if the real one was still around?

And yeah, the whole thing was kinda fanservicy, but I still liked seeing all the characters. If you buy the DVD from Best Buy then you'll also get a bonus DVD. It'll show storyboard scenes of the next movie. It looks like they will indeed resolve what happened in this movie.

Geod on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just watched it. Pretty damn good, I think, and lends itself to repeated viewings. The only thing I didn't like was
    Lars. I just don't like the character. When they revealed that Lars was actually Fry, that just sorta ruined Fry for me.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just watched it. Pretty damn good, I think, and lends itself to repeated viewings. The only thing I didn't like was
    Lars. I just don't like the character. When they revealed that Lars was actually Fry, that just sorta ruined Fry for me.

I had the opposite reaction:
    I didn't like Lars either, but liked him after I found out that it was actually Fry.

Geod on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Geod wrote: »

I had the opposite reaction:
    I didn't like Lars either, but liked him after I found out that it was actually Fry.
    I liked Lars all right and actually felt a little embarrassed/bad for Fry that an actual good person was stealing her away, rather than someone shallow and pompous like Zapp, the guy from Cyber House Rules or the Mayor's Aide (that we knew Leela would see past soon anyway). When it was revealed that it was Fry I was pretty touched. Those 12 years allowed him to grow into someone Leela could love. Except the real Fry made the fundamental realization that sometimes you have to let someone go if you love them much sooner. So it leaves things open/hopeful, much like the end of Devil's Hands.

I actually had not thought about it too much until now, but this movie is actually clever and touching as well as gut-bustingly funny.

David X. Cohen wrote the movie, with the only other episodes written being Space Pilot 3000, Xmas Story, The Why of Fry and one segment from Anthology of Interest 2. I can tell he likes time travel, and writing awesome episodes.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I rented it from Blockbuster and also picked up a copy of Geek magazine. It had an article in there where they talked to David Cohen and they list the synopses for the next three movies that are in various stages of writing/animation.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• HexmageHexmage __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I rented it yesterday and loved it. I'm gonna watch it again before I return it, and then I'm gonna go buy a copy. It was just awesome to have the Futurama characters back again. Not only that, but for them to return in a feature-length movie with a great plot, plenty of laugh out loud jokes, and excellent animation, was a godsend.

Here's a brief list of just a few things about the movie I liked:
    - The extended Futurama theme
    - The many uses of "Torgo's Executive Powder"
    - The Professor's tattoo and the music accompanying it's reveal
    - Al Gore being everywhere
    - The first on-screen appearance of Channukah Zombie
    - The story behind Lars
    - The songs (especially the X-Mas Eve one)
    - Millidooms

One thing's buggin' me, though:
    Where did the tattoo containing the time sphere code come from originally?

Hexmage on
    edited November 2007
    Hexmage wrote: »
    There was a recent interview that said the next movie will begin where this one left off its either going to be explained or the whole time loop will somehow be excised completely

Ohtsam on
    edited November 2007
    Hexmage wrote: »

Infinite paradox loop. It's always existed, contained forever within a single eternal, looping event. Like that Michael Crichton movie, Sphere. God, the book was so much better.

Favorite part for me after another viewing?
    The Holidays Going to War song! Dammit, that thing was so awesome. I keep hearing the Chaunka Zombie's verse over and over.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • DataranDataran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't forget the time sphere was a self paradox correcting time sphere, so therefore the tatoo always existed

Dataran on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    this is adding to a semi-recent trend that I'm really liking, that being high quality straight to DVD animation kinda like OAV's in Japan. Marvel and DC have also been doing a great job of this IMO

It's about time straight to DVD releases were about more than shitty Disney sequels

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • HexmageHexmage __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Dataran wrote: »
    Don't forget the time sphere was a self paradox correcting time sphere, so therefore the tatoo always existed
    headexplode.jpg

Hexmage on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Watched it tonight. Cracked up the entire time. Completely a triumphant return.

Jragghen on