As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Backward Compatibility question

verbelverbel Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
I've decided I want to get a PS3 now that there are some games out there for it that I really want. I was reading on wikipedia about the backward compatibility and it said this

"In order to reduce manufacturing costs,[106] the Emotion Engine (EE) is not included in European and South Korean systems.[22][107] The 80 GB model released in North America also lacks hardware support for legacy titles.[108] Software emulation is used in place of hardware support and as a result, backward compatibility for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games is reduced."

My target still has 60gb models as well as 80gb ones. After reading this I'm assuming that the 60gb version uses hardware emulation and the 80gb uses software emulation. I don't really understand what this means to me. At target both models are the same price and the 80gb model comes with a game. I just want to know if this will make any big differnce in playing my PS2 games on it before I make my decision. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 80gb model, but I just want to be informed before I do it.

steam_sig.png
verbel on

• Options
    HboxHbox Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    the 60GB model has nearly perfect backwards compatibility. The 80GB is less compatible. Less games will be playable on the 80GB version. Check the list on Playstation.com for the games you still want to play and see if they work on the 80GB version.

You can check here.

Hbox on
    720551nt8.png
    PSN ID : HBoxx
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    something like 80% of ps2 games will run on an 80gb ps3. if you're unsure and you know what games you'll mostly be playing, look them up here

i've had a pretty good experience with my PAL software bc ps3

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    According to this te guitar hero games stutter on the 80gb model but has no major problems on the 60gb model. Does anyone have experiance with this? I still play those quite a bit and would like to be able to on the PS3.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    you can pretty much forget guitar hero - even with a 60gb, as far as i know you won't be able to use either the ps3 guitar hero controller or the ps2 one. apparently there's one random radioshack usb-ps2 adapter that will pick it up, but otherwise all the attempts i know of have been lost causes

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The better BC sounds good to me, and I'm not really sure how much I'll play moto storm as I've never played it before. One thinkg I 'm thinking about is if I want the 80gb model I can get it at AAFES tax free which will save me around 50 dollers. In the back of my head I keep thinking I'm gonna find some awsome game and not be able to play it on the PS3, but I should stil have the old PS2. I guess I'm being kinda stupid, but its a lot of money and I wanna make sure I get a deal I'm happy with.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    personal experience, gh works fine on 60 gig ps3's. There are adapters available to plug it in. You can probably find them at any decent game retailer.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I ended up getting 60gb version, I had a 10% discount so I got it and the 3 year warrenty for only 508. Natheo, Could you point out what adapters work for guitar hero, I've read about a few but they all had problems. So far I'm having a great time with assassin's creed, and Eye of Judgement. I'm glad I got it.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used this guy.

Oh, neat, it's back ordered.

But yeah, that one. Pelican, 14.99. Should be able to find it somewhere.

Only thing I noticed is that you can't tilt for star power. You might try finding the GH3 wireless guitar somewhere or just buying that bundle, too.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]