As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii cable help needed.

Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Here's the deal, I'm going to get my brother some new cables for his Wii that will allow us to play in 480p. I've found some good component cables at monoprice. Now I have a problem as most tvs, my relatives included, do not have component inputs. So this would limit us from taking it on the road. So I have found S-video cables that I believe will also allow 480p playback.

So I'd like opinions and advice from people who already have better cables for their Wiis.

Dark Shroud on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    svideo IMO aint worth the upgrade from composite

you have to go to at least component can do any better than 480i

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on this one. Composite is shit, S-video is pretty good, and component is a step up from there. Personally, I'd always upgrade from composite when possible.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    if it were a $10 cable, sure, I'd do it. but it tends to be like $30 or $40 for specialized ones for VG consoles

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If I get the Madcatz cable it will only cost me $11.99 US after shipping. Madcatz is an established brand so I am considering them. Plus some of the other stores carry them so I might be able to get a price match. There are a few no name brands floating around as well.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Madcatz typically makes bad products. I don't have any experience with their cables, but I know their other products (controllers and memory cards) tend to be utter shit. Buyer beware.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish you could get a VGA adapter for the Wii.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I didn't think S-video cables could do progressive.

Regardless, I too have to disagree with the difference between S-video and Composite. Even on a SDTV, s-video is way better than composite. I mean, sure, if you have like a 19in TV or something, you probably won't notice, but even on a moderate size TV you'll clearly see the difference and it's worth the upgrade. And despite what Deus is saying, s-video cables for most consoles that aren't first party, aren't too expensive; much like the ones you linked.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

i wish the wii output in HD

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dirty, dirty lies.
    daxtercompositeversussvgz1.jpg

Now, imagine all those fuzzy lines in the top one constantly moving. Horrible.

Glal on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    if it were a $10 cable, sure, I'd do it. but it tends to be like $30 or $40 for specialized ones for VG consoles

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5190
    Sketchy, yes, but it'll work.
    Xagarath wrote:
    They sell one at http://www.vdigi.com. I hear it doesn't work for 480i-only games, but other than that it's supposed to be good.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Xagarath wrote:
    They sell one at http://www.vdigi.com. I hear it doesn't work for 480i-only games, but other than that it's supposed to be good.

Someone please explain to me just how any console hooked up to a monitor via VGA works... I mean, where does the sound come from? It's not like the Wii has a specific port that can be used for sound, like a headphone port or something. Just power, sensor bar, and video. So if you hook up to a monitor, where will the sound be coming from?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rohan wrote: »

Xagarath wrote:

Someone please explain to me just how any console hooked up to a monitor via VGA works... I mean, where does the sound come from? It's not like the Wii has a specific port that can be used for sound, like a headphone port or something. Just power, sensor bar, and video. So if you hook up to a monitor, where will the sound be coming from?

If you look at the Vdigi cable, there is an audio cable coming off of the VGA connector. I'm not sure if it's 1/8" or RCA, but it should be easy enough to plug into any sound system or speaker set you want.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

480p is actually a huge step up from 480i, and it looks gorgeous on CRTs. The main problem is that most LCDs do not upscale very well.

And despite its lowly status, S-video is closer to component than to composite.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rohan wrote: »

Xagarath wrote:

The VGA cable has RCA cables for audio. You plug them in to your speaker's receiver or use an adaptor to plug them in to your computer and pass through to headphones. There are a few other ways of hooking it up too.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

480p is actually a huge step up from 480i, and it looks gorgeous on CRTs. The main problem is that most LCDs do not upscale very well.

And despite its lowly status, S-video is closer to component than to composite.

I disagree with all of those assertions.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    how often do you plan on going on the road?

unless you live in a nomadic tribe, I'd say get the componant for home, and suffer through the composite while staying abroad.

Evander on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ah, I see. You know, if the Wii was only a tiny bit smaller, it could fit into one of the drive bays on my pc... and then I'd never have any reason to leave my room ;-)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have the Vdigi VGA cable that I use with my CRT monitor. It works pretty good, and is a big step up from my SDTV. The sound outputs that the cable are standard stereo red-and-white RCA male plugs, and it comes with a 3.5mm female phono adapter.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I have the Vdigi VGA cable that I use with my CRT monitor. It works pretty good, and is a big step up from my SDTV. The sound outputs that the cable are standard stereo red-and-white RCA male plugs, and it comes with a 3.5mm female phono adapter.

I have one too, it works beautifully.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

You are awesome, that s-video cable is perfect!
    Evander wrote: »
    how often do you plan on going on the road?

unless you live in a nomadic tribe, I'd say get the componant for home, and suffer through the composite while staying abroad.

I spend time over at my sister's with her and her kids. They can't afford the new systems at the moment and my newphew likes RE4. So I take it over and hook it up, her Sony Wega isn't HD but it does 480p through S-video. Parties at my grandmothers are the same, her 32" Toshiba isn't HD but will do 480p through S-video. It gives me more flexability and since the cables are cheap I could get both if I wanted. ;-)

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're not UK based are you? I got an S-Video cable for my Wii and discovered that Pal Wii's won't actually output via Svideo. Still, I got a decent Wii RGB cable out of it (Which I now no longer need as I use component).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From my own experiences, as well as lots of sample screenshots I've seen online, composite looks merely ok, S-Video is a small but definitely visible and appreciable step up (for instance, if you've ever seen a kind of tiny animated checkerboard pattern around some static images, especially in areas where color is extremely saturated, S-Video will take care of that.)

S-Video CAN'T do 480p. Or at least, 90% of the hardware that supports S-Video won't be able to deal with the signal. If anyone here has been able to do 480p and confirm it (remember that some LCD HDTVs will deinterlace interlaced video in such a way that you won't see the interlacing anymore, but you then end up with 24 or 30 fps video instead of the full 60 fps you get with real 480p) you'll have to back your assertions. From what I've seen, the Wii will not output to 480p unless you've got component cables connected.

Component cables also provide a much more significant step up in quality than the step from composite to S-Video. The reason some people say they see less of a step up is due either to the fact that their composite inputs are really shitty, or that their component inputs are shittier than they should be. The thing is, though, that some Wii games will actually look a little better over composite or S-Video than component, simply because of the limitations of the graphic hardware and the fact that a lot of HDTVs have shitty upscaling; when you upscale blurry composite or S-Video signals, they don't look much worse, but when you (badly) upscale component, which can show a lot more detail, all those well-defined pixels get stretched into an ugly mess.

Lastly, here's what I do (keep in mind that my TV does OK upscaling, in general, without adding too much crap to the image):

- I have a component cable permanently plugged into my HDTV
    - I keep the composite cable in my Wii traveling case
    - When I want to take my Wii with me, the component cable stays there, and I use composite everywhere else (since most TVs / VCRs these days have composite inputs in the front, it makes it simpler to hook up)

Most games look good enough in composite to be playable and fun. The lack of widescreen is actually the biggest bummer for some games (Mario Galaxy, for instance.)

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com