As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Futurama: Bender's Big Score is out tomorrow

RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The new Futurama DVD movie is called Bender's Big Score. Amazon just shipped out my copy. I would link to the page where you can buy it but Amazon thinks I'm a bot right now.

They got basically all of the original writers and voice actors back together for this (and 3 more DVD movies).

Anyhow, who's excited? I'm excited.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
RandomEngy on

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I completely forgot about this. I'm super excited.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not as excited as I probably should be, but I think that's because I've already used up my available hype for this month.

I'm still gonna get it and watch it right away, though :). Was going to do a watch party with my brother and some friends this week but doesn't quite look like that'll happen for me :(.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There's already a thread for it, but I don't want to start a whole bruhaha about which one to use.

Long and short of it; great movie. Not as good as the best of Futurama, but very good nonetheless. It doesn't feel like 3/4 episodes cut together, and the story is pretty surreal/complex in the vein of some of the more absurd episodes, e.g. season 4.

If you have any sort of interest in Futurama whatsoever, you can't go wrong with it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sorry bout the new thread. I guess I was a little presumptuous assuming it would be on the front page.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't know... I thought most of it was fanservicey drek. I don't think they ever managed to make it 60 seconds without rehashing an old joke or awkwardly shoehorning in an old character. It was like when Family Guy came back and they tried their damnedest to go through every single old catchphrase and cameo as quickly as possible. I think the only character that didn't show up was Lurr. Hopefully they got it all out of their system at this point though.

I'm also a little annoyed with
    Leela falling in love with Fry BUT NOT REALLY for something like the seventh time in the show's history. They need to find a new trick. Or actually do something with that.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    About Lurr
    He's at Leela's wedding with his wife, so he's there too

My main gripe is that it references about 80% of all episodes, but not the one you would expect most
    The last one!

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Will this be out on HDDVD?

Samphis on
  • Options
    WylderneedshelpWylderneedshelp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You whiners. The shows been off the air for years, finally gets back on - and you expect them NOT to acknowledge all of the best loved characters and gags? Thats just silly. Of course they had to include a lot of the best loved characters/themes from all the best episods.

Seriously, if they hadn't had hypnotoad in there I think my wife would have choked on something.

I thought this movie was absolutely awesome. They really haven't lost what made Futurama so great to begin with. I will be looking forward to next year when they release the other episodes, because I expect those to provide more new stories, rather than concentrating on giving people a hefty dose of all the things they've missed.

On a side note - living in Australia I completely just caved and pirated this, rather than wait for whenever someone gets around to sending us some copies. Any idea on release dates down here ?

Wylderneedshelp on
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I sure would like to know when this will be available in Australia too. Is there a website that has information on Australian release dates for DVDs?

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, where are all you turkeys getting this early? It's not supposed to come out until tomorrow.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yeah, where are all you turkeys getting this early? It's not supposed to come out until tomorrow.

Arrr Matey!

I need to pick this movie up ASAP.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it's been out for a little while, but it doesn't have all the dvd awesome that comes with the dvd.

I'm trying to figure out how many copies I need to get. I don't know how well it would work for a geek. They'd have to wait weeks to get it, and no one else getting it for them? eh... Don't know. not sure if it would work, but that is why they make receipts.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »

Shipped to me last week. I don't know, honestly, but they're being pretty liberal with the release date on this thing; if you take a look at some Futurama fan sites, loads of people have it already. And I'm not just talking about avasting ye maties here. The cover has one of those cool 90s images that change when you look at it from another angle!

And by the by, the extra material isn't exactly... excellent. The Hypnotoad episode is basically 21 minutes of a Hypnotoad image, intercut with various, very short gags. I fast-forwarded through most of it, 'cause that noise gets painful really quickly.

The math lecture is probably the coolest thing on there, but it doesn't really cover that many topics, and isn't a "lecture" in the traditional sense. It's basically just a professor talking to the Futurama crew about a few different examples of how math is referenced in the series. It's pretty short, but you get a previously unrevealed letter in the alien alphabet, so... yay for those who care.

The commentary track was pretty great, though, if not super-informative. John DiMaggio goes crazy with his Brooklyn accent throughout the whole thing.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I watched it last week it is hilarious. So many good swipes at people who deserved it.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was dissapointed, actually. I was a big Futurama fan when it was on the air, but somehow this whole movie didn't click with me. I'm not sure if it's me or the movie though - it's been so long since I've seen a Futurama ep I might just have changed humor-wise... But nothing I saw was particularly funny the way I remember the series being and some parts were downright obnoxious. I'm holding out for the next movie and maybe rewatching the first season before I give it a total thumbs down, though.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saw this interview with David X. Cohen on /. -

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/11/26/david-x-cohen-of-futurama-the-tv-squad-interview/

Interesting, and he explains what the deal is with the next 3 movies and new season (synopsis: movies will be out before new season starts, and the new season will be 16 episodes: the 4 movies cut into 4 episodes each).

So, kind of disappointing that after we've all watched the movies 100 times we have to wait through them again in agonizing 'to be continued' format before we get a real new season. But! The second movie centers around a giant planet sized organism voiced by David Cross, so all is forgiven!

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    Find the other thread.

20001002h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.