As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Soundtracks: Suggestions

JemimaJemima __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So after playing SSB:M and F-Zero GX last night, I realized how awesome both those soundtracks were. I looked and could only find them at YOUR MOM

F-zero is just wonderfully upbeat techno/wailing guitars. And while SSB:M was just your basic orchestra, it still has a few gems like the Donkey Kong Rap.

Any other suggestions for game soundtracks that are pretty unique?

GabeJemima.gif
Jemima on

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Beyond Good and Evil has an awesome soundtrack.

Lezta on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Halo 3 and Mass Effect have done astounding soundtrack work.

edit: but this is looking to turn into a poll thread, sooo.. any kind of discussion?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SoTC is a soundtrack i would buy in a heartbeat. I dunno how unique i would call it, its got the orchestral thing going on, but its quite balling

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Halo 3
    Mass Effect
    Diablo 2 (free on their website)
    Bioshock

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    CHRONO CROSS

Khavall on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack is great. It's got some really beautiful instrumental pieces, and some really stirring tracks. It's great music to work by. :)

gaming_librarian on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Halo 1 & 2's soundtracks as well.

Persona 3's soundtrack is also excellent, and it comes free with the game (you should own the game. Seriously!). Chrono Symphonic is a must have (and free). Chrono Cross is great, but you'll never actually find it. :|

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As soon as Super Mario Galaxy's OST comes out, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ace combat zero. Synths + orchestra + spanish guitar

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Halo 3
    Mass Effect
    Diablo 2 (free on their website)
    Bioshock

DIABLO 2 I forgot about you.

sorry...

Yeah and SoTC I do remember being pretty epic.

Jemima on
    GabeJemima.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I'd say that 3 just stepped it up even further. 1 and 2 seemed to have pieces I didn't like in amongst the ones I do. Halo 3 was pretty much spot on the whole way through, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I know this is more vg-remixes, but this is what even got me interested in music in games to begin with.

http://www.archive.org/details/xoc_SMW

Jemima on
    GabeJemima.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I'd say that 3 just stepped it up even further. 1 and 2 seemed to have pieces I didn't like in amongst the ones I do. Halo 3 was pretty much spot on the whole way through, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Personally, other than the licensed tracks on Volume 1 of the Halo 2 soundtrack, I can't think of a bad song between the three of them. I might be the only one who thinks that way though. By the way, why no Halo 3 soundtrack yet? Waiting for a retail copy? I've been listening to it on my iPod for a week now; can't get enough of it.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'll be getting it for Christmas. It's about that time I need to pad out my list, instead of getting socks or pointless things.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Metal Gear Solid 2 is like $8 on amazon and sooo worth it.

powersurge on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A few of my favourites -

Deus Ex
    BioShock
    Portal
    System Shock 2
    The Halo games (although I don't actually like the games, "Follow" by Incubus is my running theme, <3)
    ICO
    Jet Set Radio/Future
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Theif: Deadly Shadows
    Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory (and anything by Amon Tobin really)
    Metroid Prime 1+2 (although 1 is a little better than 2)
    Rez
    Ikaruga

LewieP on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good and unique? Beyond Good and Evil. Not only is there great variety in the normal stuff (jazz, rap, salsa, reggae, hair metal, all really well done), but the odder stuff is fantastic. Not only does it sound alien, it sounds like it's performed on alien musical instruments rather than being synthesized. Plus I'm a fan of the battle music that sounds like it's "sung" by malfunctioning robots.

The entire soundtrack was released for free on a now-defunct Nintendo site, so it should be floating around there somewhere for you to snork up with a clean conscience.

Edit: Oh shit, forgot about Okami. Very traditional yet so very very awesome.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JimmyhatesyouJimmyhatesyou Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    CHRONO CROSS

This.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend just about anything by Yasunori Matsuda. The Chrono Trigger OST is great and the Xenogears: Creid arrangement is top notch as well.

Other soundtracks worth listening to: Final Fantasy 6 and 7, Secret of Mana, Wild ARMS had some good tracks.

I'd recommend http://ocremix.org for some worthwhile game remimxes too.

Jimmyhatesyou on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Personally, other than the licensed tracks on Volume 1 of the Halo 2 soundtrack, I can't think of a bad song between the three of them. I might be the only one who thinks that way though. By the way, why no Halo 3 soundtrack yet? Waiting for a retail copy? I've been listening to it on my iPod for a week now; can't get enough of it.

From what I heard in Halo 3 it was all reused music and the one sad piano tune that had been pimping out in all the trailers. Halo 1 had a better one I think.

NickTheNewbie wrote: viewpost.gif
    That is not a complete equation! They equal "Oh god the tingles on my spine!"

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jemima wrote: »
    And while SSB:M was just your basic orchestra, it still has a few gems like the Donkey Kong Rap.

What in the name of all that is holy is wrong with you?

Movin' on, here's some awesome free music:
    Sim City 3000
    Sim City 4 Rush Hour

The Sim City 4 music is awesome as well but they don't have it up for download.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All three Shadow Hearts soundtracks.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So to expand on my previous point, I have a fun story.

Back in middle-school-ish I was over at a friends house. This friend has an SNES, which was pretty awesome. I didn't get a SNES. I wanted one. So he's all like "Yeah, you should see this game" and pulls out this game called "Chrono Trigger" and I'm all like "That's weird. I wonder how it is" and he puts it in and it load up in 600AD. And the music starts and I hear the first two notes and I'm all like "Blah." and then the actual piece starts and I pretty much have to clean up afterwards. And at that point I was like "MAN I WANT TO TRY THIS STUFF!" So I downloaded NoteWorthy Composer and was like "I'M A GONNA WRITE MUSIC!" And I listened to CT and FFVI and then eventually Chrono Cross, FFVIII, and then pretty much everything while playing with this fun piece of software.

Now I'm a Music Composition major, while I also am working every night from 5:00 on playing piano professionally in addition to working as a copyist during the day and sometimes even going to classes.

So there you go. Yasunori Mitsuda changes lives.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Freedom Fighters had a great soundtrack. I bought it and was happy with my purchase. It is kind of uneven at times with tracks that fit better in a game setting. Think of ominous Soviet music mixed with a bit of electronic music and you might have an idea of what to expect.

Jesper Kyd composed it, and he's also known for the Hitman soundtracks. I never got into Hitman, but apparently those are good too.

http://www.jesperkyd.com/

SteevL on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Final Fantasy VII

Still the only game soundtrack I've purchased.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Sims 2 has some really great music. I like the opening theme quite a bit.

Half-Life 1 has a lot of good stuff on there too. It was cool back in the late 90s, games could be played as normal music CDs. I used to listen to Half-Life, MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Quake 2, and the Jedi Knight games.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chrono Cross is the best.
    Final Fantasy IV - Celtic Moon
    Final Fantasy VII - Piano Collections
    Final Fantaxy X - Piano Collections
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Metroid Prime

..and though this isn't necessarily a game soundtrack check out The Minibosses.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    minibosses ftw.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you're going to mention the minibosses, don't get a billion other cover bands

arm cannon
    powerglove
    select start
    wave theory
    the advantage

All of these bands, btw, will be performing live at MAGFest :)

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    AuraAura Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jak II has some great stuff. Different percussion gets added the the main themes depending on if you're on your hoverboard, or walking, or in a car, or packing heat etc. Not something I'd download but excellent as a complement to the game.

Devil May Cry 1 has fucking fantastic music, and perfect for the game. The bits which should be subtle and understated are exactly that, and it gets seriously eerie later on, but the battle music will wake you right up. DMC3's soundtrack is, sans a few good tracks, largely pathetic unfortunately.

FF's VI and VII need to be shouted from the rooftops a few more times, please. Whichever are you actual favourites of the series it is indisputable that the music of these two is above even the standards set by the others. Little else comes even close.

Aura on
    I broke something
  • Options
    edited November 2007

From what I heard in Halo 3 it was all reused music and the one sad piano tune that had been pimping out in all the trailers. Halo 1 had a better one I think.

Marty re-does a lot of themes from Halo 1 & 2 with a full orchestra, so the sound is different (and sometimes better). There's also a lot of unique content (he takes a somewhat more techno-ish bent than the previous two soundtracks. I think it turned out great).

You should really give it a listen/buy. Only $9.99 if you get it straight from the distributor (rather than the $19.99 Itunes is asking, or the $~15 i've seen for the discs online.

Evangir on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Still nobody mentions Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honor stuff?

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Serioiusly.
    You guys.
    Ace Combat Zero.
    http://gh.ffshrine.org/song/6727/42

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Descent 2. The CD version, apparently there was a crappy MIDI soundtrack too.
    FF6 has the greatest SNES music ever. Chrono Trigger is a very close second.

And as someone already mentioned, OCRemix has tons of good stuff. There is a lot of crap, and a lot of stuff that just won't be for you, but there is much that is incredible too.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    CHRONO CROSS
    Not enough lime in the world.
    Especially the opening song, Time's Scar. That's one of those songs that sends shivers down my spine every time I listen to it.

A few other great ones that get overlooked:

Legend of Mana had a great soundtrack, some really beautiful pieces.

both Zone of the Enders have some good techno stuff. Not 100% awesome but there are some songs on them I REALLY like.

PN03 is a totally weird and under appreciated game but the soundtrack is some pretty damn solid techno, worth checking out.

Rez is some great crazy techno

Gitaroo Man has a really nice soundtrack, covers a lot of themes really well.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I actually went out and bought both Okami and Digital Devil Saga Integral OST. Pure awesome!

I still need to finally find the money to buy all the necessary soundtracks I want, but the final few PS2 games demand the attention of my wallet.

Also, I'd recommend looking for some Touhou remixes - there is some unbelievably good stuff hidden there. I am not sure what is the stance of the linkage in this thread but I will err on the safe side.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    KatyaKatya Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've always enjoyed Jeremy Soule's work on Prey and the Elder Scroll games. Though that is all orchestral, epic sort of stuff.

Katya on