As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP: Beyond the Games

Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So, it looks like I'm getting a PSP for Christmas, since Best Buy's Reward Zone seems to think someone used my account to buy a Daxter pack.

Games, I'm pretty okay on. I know what I'll probably like, and there's some demos for other games. And with the gigantic backlog I currently have, I really shouldn't be running around amassing a collection of PSP games right away.

For music, I might just put a few songs on there for games that take custom soundtracks (the GTA's do, right?)

Also, I use Windows Media Center for the DVR functions, so moving some shows over to the PSP to watch is appealing. Would people here recommend the official Sony software to move media over?

Doctor Detroit on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm unsure about the custom soundtracks.

For moving media and such, it's really simple, just plug the PSP in and put it into USB mode, Windows will recognize it as an external HDD. Then you just drag files over to the correct folder (MUSIC or MOVIES if I recall correctly), unplug, and enjoy.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All of my experience with the psp has been with the sony specific hardware and software. I did store installations for a retail chain, so there was a lot of on the road time, and one of the guys I worked with had a psp, and the sony version of the slingbox. He used the sony software and everything worked like a dream. One of us would watch dvds from his ten disc changer back home, and the other one would watch cable tv on the psp from the built in tuner the sony hardware had. All of it was pretty secure, and we could even change channels from remote. I'm sure the slingbox works just as well once you configure it, but if you're using the psp, use the sony slingbox and the sony software, it's all plug and play.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Very few games use custom soundtracks, but I'm pretty sure the GTA X City Stories games do. For PC software I've always used PSP Video 9, which is free and works aces. I'm not too savvy with codecs and video in general, though, so I like the fact that it has a number of preset quality/size settings. I don't honestly know what video formats the PSP can natively accept but it's not always as easy as just drag-and-drop right out of the box.

I'm pretty sure free software alternatives are plenty for your needs, though, regardless of whether you stay with legit firmwares or go ... elsewhere.

As far as demos, check out PSP Fanboy's repository. Anyone with a PSP needs to try the DJ Max Portable 2 demo, which is awesome. :D And I believe you can go to a GameStop and download some other demos, although I've never done it myself.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh yeah you absolutely need PSP Video 9. Sorry I forgot about that.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There's also a Lumines 2 demo on there that has a lot of replay value(re: near endless) if you don't mind playing with only one background/song.

Of course, that kills most of Lumines' appeal.

I'd love to find a website with more foreign demos; there are a LOT of great titles on the other side of the globe that might never come out here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Oh yeah you absolutely need PSP Video 9. Sorry I forgot about that.

This. Since you're getting the Slim, you may not need it, but the high-capacity battery was a must for the Phat.

I'd recommend putting a Duo stick or two on your list. At least a 2GB, maybe a 4, or two 2s. SanDisk's are fine and cheaper than Sorny's.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    As far as demos, check out PSP Fanboy's repository. Anyone with a PSP needs to try the DJ Max Portable 2 demo, which is awesome. :D And I believe you can go to a GameStop and download some other demos, although I've never done it myself.

For demos, the PS Store for the PSP will be pretty helpful, though the US one doesn't have many up. You can quite easily create a UK account and download them from the UK Store though, since it has a few up. And if you ever intend on buying a PS3, you'll be able to use whatever account you signed up with when you eventually get one (so if you signed up using Doctor Detroit as your PSN ID, you'll be able to use it if you ever bought a PS3).

Also, make sure you get a good memory stick (pro duo). I'd recommend getting a 4GB one, especially with the downloadable games and demos Sony seem to be focusing on now (the SOCOM Tactical Strike demo alone is around 450MB). Plus, you can get 4GB memory sticks for fairly cheap prices nowadays.

Btw, Sony are releasing a new PSP Slim battery in december so you might want that as well.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Darn. I was hoping to offer you the $15 coupon I got with my God of War demo but it expires on the 15th.

Anywho, I've had my PSP for about a year now (bought it in January) and it's a solid system, but it's primarily a Game-Playing system. Music is a pain, after using an iPod for so long having to manually deal with folders is a pain, converting video takes a long time and the 2GB card I have doesn't hold too much, and frankly I don't have all that many photos I want to take around with me.

That being said, I would like to get a 4GB card, but I'm waiting to be able to get one for around $20-$30 on sale. I don't use the PSP all that often so other things take priority over it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Woops.

Gibb on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    All of my experience with the psp has been with the sony specific hardware and software. I did store installations for a retail chain, so there was a lot of on the road time, and one of the guys I worked with had a psp, and the sony version of the slingbox. He used the sony software and everything worked like a dream. One of us would watch dvds from his ten disc changer back home, and the other one would watch cable tv on the psp from the built in tuner the sony hardware had. All of it was pretty secure, and we could even change channels from remote. I'm sure the slingbox works just as well once you configure it, but if you're using the psp, use the sony slingbox and the sony software, it's all plug and play.

I would really like to get a LocationFree device, the only thing that's holding me back is price. If I could pick one up for around $100 that would be awesome. I don't have a DVR, I barely watch DVDs, but what would be nice for me would be having a portable TV. Think of it like the TV tuner for the old Game Gear. Anywhere I could pick up Wi-Fi I could watch TV. That's pretty damn cool.

I'd also use it just for watching TV in bed.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gibb wrote: »
    I don't know if this is allowed but Custom Firmware is the only way to get the most out of your PSP. I mean I have NO THIS ISN'T ALLOWED

Maybe try reading the rules. That might give you a hint about what's allowed and what isn't.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't know if this is allowed

It's not allowed, and if I were you I'd specifically edit out that list of games.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't know if this is allowed but Custom Firmware is the only way to get the most out of your PSP. I mean I have NO THIS ISN'T ALLOWED

Maybe try reading the rules. That might give you a hint about what's allowed and what isn't.

I always say Custom Firmware isn't worth it. The little bit of extra functionality that you get out of it isn't worth it if you turn your $200 gaming system into a $200 paperweight.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I always say Custom Firmware isn't worth it. The little bit of extra functionality that you get out of it isn't worth it if you turn your $200 gaming system into a $200 paperweight.

I've got custom firmware, but I installed it before the official firmware allowed you to use fullsize video and custom themes and stuff. It's not quite as useful now.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I've got custom firmware, but I installed it before the official firmware allowed you to use fullsize video and custom themes and stuff. It's not quite as useful now.

Moving legit bought games over to SD cards is more than worth it for the reduced loads and triple the battery life. Who cares about roms when you can improve performance?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone managed to make the remote play features work with their PS3? I don't have the access key for the router at work, so I wouldn't be able to use it all that often, but it's an intriguing option to say the least.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Moving legit bought games over to SD cards is more than worth it for the reduced loads and triple the battery life. Who cares about roms when you can improve performance?

slim PSP already has reduced loads and better battery

it really isn't worth it for the risk

especially considering that moving the games to the card takes away the space you may have wanted for movies.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    especially considering that moving the games to the card takes away the space you may have wanted for movies.

Isn't it also technically illegal?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Cards are really, really cheap these days, and the risk is just about none. I suppose I just happend to be lucky enough to have an old PSP battery and stick so I could use that ingenious trick. The loads are better, sure, but nowhere near as good as those from games on a card. Also, I suggest getting a Phat PSP battery anyways.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Cards are really, really cheap these days, and the risk is just about none. I suppose I just happend to be lucky enough to have an old PSP battery and stick so I could use that ingenious trick. The loads are better, sure, but nowhere near as good as those from games on a card. Also, I suggest getting a Phat PSP battery anyways.

So...are you what, rich or something? Because 2GB cards are still around $30-40 a pop, 4GB cards $40-60.

Oh, still illegal.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I don't believe it's illegal to make backups of your own stuff, no, as long as you actually make the backup yourself. That's what everyone says, anyway.

Whether it's illegal or not, I don't think it's something we should discuss around here?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's about as illegal as ripping all those cd's you own to a portable mp3 player so you can listen to multiple albums on the go. I'm not talking about downloading .isos or what have you, I'm talking about taking your own and making your own.

On the question of cost. A one time $50 cost will get you a few gigs, enough for two games. If you ever need more than 2 games at a time, well, that's your problem.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I don't believe it's illegal to make backups of your own stuff, no, as long as you actually make the backup yourself. That's what everyone says, anyway.

Whether it's illegal or not, I don't think it's something we should discuss around here?

It's a legal gray area. Best to just drop it, though.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So how about them movies/other media then? The PSP is a decent platform for movies/tv, a big but servicable mp3 player, and easily the worst internet browser this side of a moderately priced cellphone.

It does have decent games these days though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    worst internet browser this side of a moderately priced cellphone.

Whoever developed the text input interface should be taken out back and shot.

And whoever keeps making the desicion to keep it should be forced to watch the initial shooting, before being shot himself.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It actually works fairly well as an MP3 player, for someone with my limited need for one. I only use it as such in the car or at the gym, any other time I'm within range of either my PC or my PS3. Granted, it doesn't have the capacity of an iPod, but depending on your needs that may not matter.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png